ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing gearbox oil seal on 182

Renault Clio RS 182
I did a lot of work on my 182 a few weeks ago, including replacing the offside [driver's side] oil seal on the gearbox. That's the one where the RHS driveshaft enters the box. I felt at the time I didn't get it in correctly... and sure enough I've now been proven correct :(

Does anyone have any tips on how to get this in properly - I'm guessing that there's a special Renault tool to get it just the right distance in without going too far in. If you know what that is, would be very helpful too.

Thanks.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Put some oil on the lip of the seal to help it over the shaft. Get a socket that’s a similar size to the seal and tap it home. Not got a socket? Get some rolls of electrical tape (needs to be black - not red or multicoloured) and use that to tap the seal home square.

Renault Clio RS 182
Thanks so much for this. I put some oil on the lip of the seal and used the biggest socket I had. It wasn't big enough though, it wasn't proud of the edge of the seal if you know what I mean. The problem is the seal doesn't have a stop to be hammered in to... so it can go too far in. I like the electrical tape idea, I'm going to give that a go... and I'm going to buy a couple of them this time in case I screw it up again. It's a complete ball ache to take the drive train to bits in order to do this again.
Again, really appreciate your help here.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks so much for this. I put some oil on the lip of the seal and used the biggest socket I had. It wasn't big enough though, it wasn't proud of the edge of the seal if you know what I mean. The problem is the seal doesn't have a stop to be hammered in to... so it can go too far in. I like the electrical tape idea, I'm going to give that a go... and I'm going to buy a couple of them this time in case I screw it up again. It's a complete ball ache to take the drive train to bits in order to do this again.
Again, really appreciate your help here.
There’s a line about 8mm into the casing where the seal sits - level it to that. If you’re not sure, I’ll take a pic and highlight where I’m talking about mate 👍🏻

Renault Clio RS 182
There’s a line about 8mm into the casing where the seal sits - level it to that. If you’re not sure, I’ll take a pic and highlight where I’m talking about mate 👍🏻
Ya that would be great if you could post a photo... again, thanks so much for all your help.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@Davyboy888 Here you go mate. The red section is where the seal sits and the bit below the blue section is the line I’m talking about. I normally fit them so the seal is around the same height as the line, but not below. Slightly protruding is also fine.
E967FD32-F889-4D48-AA06-820CB97AD4F0.jpeg

HTH 👍🏻

Renault Clio RS 182
That's really helpful. So I'm looking at having it so that some of the blue line is showing, right ? I guess I need an electrical tape reel larger than the red bore and just slightly smaller than the blue bore. Do you normally use the electrical tape, or if a socket, what size ? Thanks again.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That's really helpful. So I'm looking at having it so that some of the blue line is showing, right ? I guess I need an electrical tape reel larger than the red bore and just slightly smaller than the blue bore. Do you normally use the electrical tape, or if a socket, what size ? Thanks again.
Level with the line or slightly in the blue bit. 0.5mm tops.
I use the socket for the diff nut mate as it’s pretty much a perfect fit.

Renault Clio RS 182
Level with the line or slightly in the blue bit. 0.5mm tops.
I use the socket for the diff nut mate as it’s pretty much a perfect fit.

That's brilliant... can you let me know the size of the socket... just want to check that I have it. I don't have very many large sockets unfortunately - all my stuff's small from the kart racing.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That's brilliant... can you let me know the size of the socket... just want to check that I have it. I don't have very many large sockets unfortunately - all my stuff's small from the kart racing.
I can measure the outer diameter mate yeah, but it literally is 5mm smaller than the outer diameter of the seal. 👍🏻

Renault Clio RS 182
I can measure the outer diameter mate yeah, but it literally is 5mm smaller than the outer diameter of the seal. 👍🏻

That would be brilliant... ya whatever number's on the outside of the socket would be great. I'm always happy to buy new tools... you never know when you may need them. Sorry for all the questions etc... here. Hopefully our conversation will be helpful to somebody doing this job in the future.

Renault Clio RS 182
I'm hopefully gonna get the chance to do the job next week... just wondering if you found out what size socket you used for this ? Thanks again for all your help here.