ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing 'lost' colour

Vee

Mk2 V6 #007
Regularly browse this section but have never posted before :eek:

Had a really busy weekend there with the camera, Leuchars Air Show was on saturday and spent sunday at Knockhill for the Scottish French Car Show. Plenty excuse to use my 70-300mm lens for the first time.

The weather at knockhill was pretty dire so had no problems with light there but at Leuchars it was a different story... The runway is pretty much east/west facing and at the air show you're positioned on the North side of the runway. On a gorgeous day, like it was yesterday this is a bit of a pain for newbies with cameras :(

I'd read up that using shutter speed priority (TV mode on my Canon) was best for moving objects that i'd be shooting this weekend. Problem is that facing into the sun has meant that most times when the picture is bright enough to show the north facing part of the plane, the sky is washed out

These pictures aren't edited to show what I'm on about, also the reason that they're quite big. Seem to have some variation :S Is there a way to give the sky some colour again? Or is that just unavoidable and you pick the best?

Plane is a bit dark in places or just me?
img4540f.jpg

About right
img4543k.jpg

Washed out sky
img4552bw.jpg

Ground and plane are fine but 'lost' sky again
img4644wh.jpg

Sky has colour but plane is too dark
img4539n.jpg

Nice balance imo
img4794v.jpg

Vee

Mk2 V6 #007
The metering was just evaluative I'm sure - I've not moved on to playing about with that kind of setting yet.

I've got the manual in my hand and cant make up my mind which would have been better? Centre weighted?

The spot metering looks too specific in my mind for varied air shots where planes are coming into the image from left or right. Partial metering would be slightly better i suppose...

Vee

Mk2 V6 #007
Righto, every time out is a new learning curve :)

I was having to adjust the exposure compensation which might have washed out the sky while making the object bright enough to see

They were shot just in high quality I think. I didn't specifically change it to shoot in raw or raw+High quality

Lightroom? Is that editing software? No i haven't edited these at all, have only cropped the second picture.

Yeah, Lightroom is Adobe's answer to editing RAW pictures. Amazing piece of kit. Being a user of Photoshop for over 8 years now, I didn't want to bother... But it's effortless if you shoot in RAW. You'd clean those pictures up in no time.

Vee

Mk2 V6 #007
So is Lightroom a package you buy or download?

Will keep in mind to shoot in raw from now on :)

Vee

Mk2 V6 #007
Haha :lolup:

Any recomendations on which copy to get?
A quick look around amazon for example there shows the original Lightroom then 2, 3 and 4. You also get complete and upgrade editions.... :S Best maybe to start with 1 and get to grips with that first before moving on?