ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing my aging surround sound setup.

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side
Since my Yamaha amplifier has started to give up the ghost, and all of my speakers are looking a bit dated, I'm looking at replacing my surround sound system.

I'm not really up to speed on my audio equipment, so was after a quick opinion from any of you lot that know what you're talking about.

I was thinking of an Onkyo TSXR508:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txsr508/onky-txsr508-blk

And a set of Pioneer speakers.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/pioneer/shs100/pion-shs100

Opinions?

Mito Sportiva 135
Looks nice, personally though I just got an all in one system and I think for most purposes it's great in terms of quality and value.

Unless you have a massive room the capability of a £200-300 system should be plenty!

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side
That's only a 2.1 system, I'm looking for a surround sound system.

Like the idea of it being upgradeable too.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I have that amp, bought it in Dec. Connected to a pair of KEF iQ5SE ~£400 on RS for a pair.

I'm a proper audiophile... These give bass that will make the walls shake and that's a fair sized room too. Mid and high end, totally crystal clear. Wonderful TBH.

Get a pair for the front, some little ones to do the rear end and a decent centre and you're away. Obviously depends what your budget is mind :eek:

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
i have a set of logitech z5500 computer speakers that I use for surround sound and for the price, I think they are awesome IMO!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I'd highly recommend speakers.
http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/tannoy/sfx5.1/tann-sfx5.1-blk

They EX5.1's have consistently got good reviews over the years. I have some and they sound amazing for the money although I have changed the wire to QED micro bi wire sliced in half and swapped the sub for a bigger better one (because my brother gave it me!). Best speakers out there for that sort of money when paired with a half decent amp, much better than an all in one system imo...

review here but loads more if you google them.
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pc-speakers/260398/tannoy-sfx-5-1

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I know, I know... Most AV amps have 5.1 / 5.2 / 7.1 / 7.2 outputs... Mine's running just a fine pair up front at the moment. Satellites come later. I've spent FARRRRRR too much in the last few months !

Time to sell the OH.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I know, I know... Most AV amps have 5.1 / 5.2 / 7.1 / 7.2 outputs... Mine's running just a fine pair up front at the moment. Satellites come later. I've spent FARRRRRR too much in the last few months !

Time to sell the OH.

Lol fair play. Thats one of the MAIN reasons why people buy smaller packages, the other half....

2014 Focus Titanium

I definitely would not get this over a 508 + speakers. The 6305 is a decent solution and does pretty much what the 508 + speakers you picked would do, and is fully upgradable so I would go with that!

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side
I definitely would not get this over a 508 + speakers. The 6305 is a decent solution and does pretty much what the 508 + speakers you picked would do, and is fully upgradable so I would go with that!

This is my thinking. Also, it has zone 2 audio, meaning that I could set up my pair of floorstanders and use those separately to the satellite speakers if I understand correctly.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
^ Not quite ....

Go into RS. I've been into many around the SE of Eng, and Wales when at Uni.. they all appear to have knowledgable staff in. They'll give you the best advise about what they sell.

Wouldn't go anywhere else TBH.

:approve:

Ive got the Onkyo 607 (as I didnt think 3D compatibility would be important - dick!) paired with some Boston Acoustic Soundware XS 5.1 speakers - absolutely love the setup.

2014 Focus Titanium
This is my thinking. Also, it has zone 2 audio, meaning that I could set up my pair of floorstanders and use those separately to the satellite speakers if I understand correctly.

Yes, you can do that but bear in mind you can only have 2.1 sound in Zone B so you lose all the satellites, not just the front two.

MY10 R35 GTR
Ive got a sonos 250 bundle, Kef IQ 50s jsut going to pick up an amp for it tomorrow and IM sorted. My living rooms an odd shape and having speakers all over the place isnt really what I want, so the 2 Kef speakers will do me

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
I've got the Onkyo 608 (£350 atm) and the Canton Movie CX80 (£150 if you can find them) 5.1 speakers. I can't fault them at all. They sound incredible and they're so small and discrete. Hopefully getting another 2 speakers to make up to 7.1 high soon.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One

Time to sell the OH.

Ahem...

Back on topic... the set up my dear OH has sounds immense, so too was the cost...

Oh and sweetheart that reminds me, if you sell me I'm taking the BluRay player its currently connected to back... :rasp:

MK3 GTI golf 16v
i would recomend a DENON 1910 or similar model over the onkyo amp. sooo much more versatile for if you ever need to upgrade add things etc etc, aswell as being a better unit in my opinion. you can get good prices on them aswell, think my local place has a sale on some at the minute. ill find a link. http://www.weymouthhifi.co.uk/website/denon/2010/avr1911.htm

isnt as good as the 1910 however is still an amazing unit for the price.

those pioneer speakers however i would steer well clear off. i would recomend ( if running on a budget currently) buying 2 very good front speakers and not getting a sub yet. 2 decent front speakers will do the job of a small sub anyway. i personally have wharefdale 5.1, extremely good speakers, to be honest the sub isnt that necassery for everyday use. http://www.weymouthhifi.co.uk/website/wharfedale/2009/wharfedale_10_1.htm

they are the speakers im currently running and they are outstandingly good, far better than anything i have previously used, can strongly recomend

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
i would recomend a DENON 1910 or similar model over the onkyo amp. sooo much more versatile for if you ever need to upgrade add things etc etc, aswell as being a better unit in my opinion. you can get good prices on them aswell, think my local place has a sale on some at the minute. ill find a link. http://www.weymouthhifi.co.uk/website/denon/2010/avr1911.htm

isnt as good as the 1910 however is still an amazing unit for the price.

those pioneer speakers however i would steer well clear off. i would recomend ( if running on a budget currently) buying 2 very good front speakers and not getting a sub yet. 2 decent front speakers will do the job of a small sub anyway. i personally have wharefdale 5.1, extremely good speakers, to be honest the sub isnt that necassery for everyday use. http://www.weymouthhifi.co.uk/website/wharfedale/2009/wharfedale_10_1.htm

they are the speakers im currently running and they are outstandingly good, far better than anything i have previously used, can strongly recomend

More versatile? what? The Onkyo will have just as many inputs if not more and I doubt you'll ever use them all.

One good thing about the Denon (that I feel is missing from the Onkyo) is the display. It has a little diagram that shows you what sound is coming in i.e. stereo, 5.1 etc so you can switch the sound setting accordingly. The Onkyo doesn't have it. You have to use the On Screen Display. Not too bad, just a little niggle and something I miss from my old Pioneer AV amp.

Saying about buying 2 good speakers then upgrading as time goes by isn't very good advice if you ask me. If you're buying a surround sound amp, you want surround sound now, not in 6 months time. You'd be better getting a reasonably priced 5.1 speaker set then upgrading that in the future if you feel it's worth it. To be honest You'll probably be quite happy with many of the cheaper setup's. After all how big is the room you're putting it in? 15' x 10'? Most 5.1 sat/sub sets will blow a hole in a room like that :eek:)

Just go along to a hifi shop and have a listen to their setup. If you're shopping at RicherSounds they'll usually set up the demo room for you. They'll probably try and sell you the Onkyo608 and the Tannoy 5.1 speakers. You could probably get that lot down to £500 and I'm sure you will be more than happy with it.

2014 Focus Titanium
More versatile? what? The Onkyo will have just as many inputs if not more and I doubt you'll ever use them all.

One good thing about the Denon (that I feel is missing from the Onkyo) is the display. It has a little diagram that shows you what sound is coming in i.e. stereo, 5.1 etc so you can switch the sound setting accordingly. The Onkyo doesn't have it. You have to use the On Screen Display. Not too bad, just a little niggle and something I miss from my old Pioneer AV amp.

Saying about buying 2 good speakers then upgrading as time goes by isn't very good advice if you ask me. If you're buying a surround sound amp, you want surround sound now, not in 6 months time. You'd be better getting a reasonably priced 5.1 speaker set then upgrading that in the future if you feel it's worth it. To be honest You'll probably be quite happy with many of the cheaper setup's. After all how big is the room you're putting it in? 15' x 10'? Most 5.1 sat/sub sets will blow a hole in a room like that :eek:)

Just go along to a hifi shop and have a listen to their setup. If you're shopping at RicherSounds they'll usually set up the demo room for you. They'll probably try and sell you the Onkyo608 and the Tannoy 5.1 speakers. You could probably get that lot down to £500 and I'm sure you will be more than happy with it.

This man speaks sense. The versatility of an Onkyo AVR will be exactly the same as a Denon one.

Just don't buy that Onkyo HTX-22HDX because although it will sound pretty good it will have no versatility at all.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
i have a set of logitech z5500 computer speakers that I use for surround sound and for the price, I think they are awesome IMO!

+1 These things can induce commas with there bass, think OCUK also have them on offer too

1x Optical connector
1x 3 way 2.5m commuter connector
1x coax connector

2014 Focus Titanium
+1 These things can induce commas with there bass, think OCUK also have them on offer too

1x Optical connector
1x 3 way 2.5m commuter connector
1x coax connector

They can induce commas?!?!?! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Meh, still don't think you can compare them with an Onkyo system which has:

2 x Optical
1 x Coaxial
4 x HDMI (3 in, 1 out)
3 x Component (2 in, 1 out)
5 x Composite (4 in, 1 out)
HD Audio Decoding
2 Zone speakers

etc

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
I just run everything through my Blu ray surround sound system. Quality is good enough for casual listening though I do miss my 160watt Jamo speakers...

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
They can induce commas?!?!?! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Meh, still don't think you can compare them with an Onkyo system which has:

2 x Optical
1 x Coaxial
4 x HDMI (3 in, 1 out)
3 x Component (2 in, 1 out)
5 x Composite (4 in, 1 out)
HD Audio Decoding
2 Zone speakers

etc

Yes, an army of grammar leaps out of each speaker and gently but effectively massages your gentleman area... or so I've heard ;)

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side
I went into Richer Sounds last week and picked up an Onkyo package, it's the HT-S6305 including the iPhone dock, for £400 and paid a bit extra for the warranty. They couldn't have been more helpful, excellent customer service.

Moved into my new place and have everything pretty much set up. Just got to get a dish installed outside, and get the surround speakers mounted on the wall which I will sort out tomorrow morning.

Mocked up into position and I've got to say it sounds amazing. I'm really impressed.

I will take photos of my setup once it's all finished and post them on here :)

Got to say, it's a massive step up from the system I was running!