ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

replacing speaker cable in 172

'04 172, '03 Hirsch 9-5

Has anyone replaced the speaker cable to the doors in a 172/cup/182?

I went to install my components - got the tweeters in the dash sorted but then went to run the cable to the door speakers- Oh dear. The plug idea is a great one Renault but what the heck do you do to run decent cable to the speakers.

I want to AMP my fonts so I actually need to run new cable but the door connector just threw me completely - I dont really want to hash it up by drilling it out but is that my only option?

Clio 182 LY + Cup packs

I came across this problem. What I did was to mount my tweeters in the plastic triangular pillar on the door, then mount the crossovers in the door cards so that I didnt have to run any cables into the car. thats how I got round it, cant really see any other way apart from drilling out that stupid connector in the door.

My mk4 golf just had a sleeve where the cables ran through so that was easy, thnk renault should start to take some build quality tips from the germans!!!

Clio 172 Ph2

get an iso -> iso cable from halfords and chop the front speaker wires in half. Then you can solder / crimp bullets onto them and plug your crossover wires in that way.

No cutting of the loom and its easy to remove :)

'04 172, '03 Hirsch 9-5

Thanks,

My crossovers are in the dash so its just the woofer cable that needs to be run to the door.

Mmmm, I wonder what kind of power the door connectors can handle, I did think about crimping the connectors to the cable and replacing the appropriate plugs/sockets within the blocks. Just dont want them to become the weak link in the system and burn out.

Maybe it will just have to stay stock :( It sounds much better even without the amp.

Clio 172 Ph2

Well Ive had no problems with mine, running the JL audio 450w amp.

If the crossovers are in the dash, all you need is about 1m of cable off each and connect that to the ISO block the then connects to the original wiring loom.

Sounds easy peasy to me! (I put my crossovers in the boot!)

'04 172, '03 Hirsch 9-5

RB_172,

Are you running your amp through the standard loom? The standard speaker cable is pretty thin. But if you are getting away with it then meh no problems.

I have already made up adapter leads to use the standard ISO block from my Pinoeer leads. So Im running my woofer out from the crossovers through the ISO block to the door speakers with the Tweeter connections (on the standard loom) unplugged.

Clio 172 Ph2

only the front door speakers use the standard loom (and only from where the crossover cables connect via the ISO extension connector). The rest of the speaker cable in the car is some stinger twisted stuff I got from http://www.caraudiodirect.comwww.caraudiodirect.com

I wonder what that cable is actually rated to? Around 5 amps maybe, so thats like 60 odd watts Id guess at 12v, less at 14.4v when the car is running.