ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Retro fitting cruise control

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Does the presence of these bad boys mean I can retro fit cruise control etc?
20200905_152028.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yes is your car an early one with ESP but no cruise?, been a few years but from memory you will need
the panel you have removed with cruise control button
steering wheel with cruise buttons and i think you will need the squib if your not already pre wired there too, also an airbag with the cut out for the buttons or you can cut yours (theres a thread on here somewhere)
you need the brake pedal switch and the clutch pedal switch, there is a piece of loom from memory that goes from the brake pedal to an unused connector further up behind the dash

on non RS cars you need to enable it in the UCH but any RS ive ever fitted it to its already pre enabled.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yeah it's an 02 with just the one switch. I'll have a look for the guide but it surely wont cost much to convert then?

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
@DomP182 I retrofitted cruise to my 53 plate 172 earlier in the year.

The first thing I done was buy a second hand cruise switch like your photo to check that I had all the required wiring in place. (Photos Attached).

To check it works with ignition on press the switch and SET should come up where mileage is displayed with either a orange light or green light. The middle switch in the photos is the Cruise/Limiter switch so hopefully will give you an ideal of what plug is what. Once I established this I then bought the following.

182 Squib Part Number 7701051757

Clutch Switch Part Number 7700431512

Last Purchase I made as I have an OMP Wheel was a Volantech panel with cruise and Horn buttons.

fullsizeoutput_8f7.jpeg

1Kf0cF9cT0OwbFNjbn+B1Q.jpg

hAB8hwqoT+KnrKtqbdUFeg.jpg

Last edited:

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
@Andy P thanks mate, just a 182 wheel needed then to get the controls? Were the squibs expensive?

Would I also get esp as I dont have a switch currently

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
Hi @DomP182 , Yes I would say so regarding wheel. Also like Martin says you need to cut the airbag for switches to fit. I purchased my squib new from ebay which came from Germany. I will see if I can find the link.

Sorry I don't know regarding esp but I don't think you will.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Mine is very early 02 so probably one of the first ph2s around hence the lack of esp I guess

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
@DomP182 Just Checked for squib and where I bought it from don't have any now.

But the part number I listed is the one I searched for. I would say yes regarding the esp.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
@DomP182 Just Checked for squib and where I bought it from don't have any now.

But the part number I listed is the one I searched for. I would say yes regarding the esp.
Thanks again for your help, would I also need a brake switch? I've read a few guides with contradictory info

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
@DomP182 just taken mine out for a quick drive to check. Cruise does turn off when I brake and I have to resume it on the R button.

I did replace my brake light switch in 2019 due to a faulty switch. Will look for the part number later, but I am sure it’s just a standard brake light switch from RPD.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
What would be a reasonable price to pay for all the bits I need?

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
@DomP182

I bought the Cruise switch panel second hand for £15 as no longer available.

The clutch pedal switch I would just buy new for what they cost.

unsure of a price for a squib.

@Inferno182 do you have any parts currently for sale?.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I found someone selling the lot plus a rough 182 steering wheel for £80 so I'd probably see if I could move the switches to my wheel

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
👍

Get a Snappy Retrim on the wheel😂

I had mine re-trimmed six years ago and it still looks like new. Although I now also have the OMP wheel.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
So I thought I had all the bits!

I've got-

Esp/cruise dash switches
Both pedal switches
182 wheel + airbag

Should I have picked up a wiring adapter as well?

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
Have you tried the ESP/cruise switch and not got the SET and lights?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
This is what I have at the steering wheel end of things

Attachments

• 15999150669947111488507470691407.jpg
    15999150669947111488507470691407.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 15999151107267545911927917194000.jpg
    15999151107267545911927917194000.jpg
    662 KB · Views: 216

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
I didn't buy another loom, sorry not 100% sure on the wheel as I have the OMP wheel now. But looking at it it's straight forward plugs. The grey plug is horn, black one is cruise I would say, and obviously the two air bag connections.

Do you have the loom for the clutch switch?

Last edited:

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I didn't buy another loom, sorry not 100% sure on the wheel as I have the OMP wheel now.

Do you have the loom for the clutch switch?
Yeah I've connected everything up at the pedal end and panel, just need to pop the wheel off to do that bit

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
Yeah I've connected everything up at the pedal end and panel, just need to pop the wheel off to do that bit
There is a guide on here to remove and replace the squib, I will see if I can find it.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
All done bar the testing! I removed everything from my 182 wheel to fit in my 172 wheel as it was tidier, just needed to trim a little bit out to let the cable protector fit.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Just out of curiosity did you need an additional brake switch?.

I picked up both switches from a 182 but mine had the brake switch fitted and connected up. The clutch switch I got had the wrong connector so I've used the brake switch which I believe will work. I'll report back on that🤞

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Been for a drive, all works perfectly,
20200912_144532.jpg
20200912_144523.jpg
but better than that I now have a new friend. I found this sat wedged in the wiring under the steering column.

I do have an interesting thing though, if I put my lights on manually the revs drop and with main beam will even cause it to stall, think my battery is smoke due to the drain of 13 milliamps I have.

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
Was that a replacement stalk as well and If so did you have the same issue with the old stalk?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Was that a replacement stalk as well and If so did you have the same issue with the old stalk?
Yeah replacement stalk, I'm not sure whether the problem was there in recent times as I've not used lights in ages but what I would say is that the stalk is less smooth than the old one so maybe its faulty.

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
Reading your other thread about the drain of the battery I would guess the issue is related to that. Alternator would be my guess.

By sheer coincidence a month after I retro-fitted cruise my alternator gave up.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
The alternator does look like its seen better days so will have to look at changing it over winter, I might as well do it at the same time as I replace the ac condenser