ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rev counter problem

172 turbo & BMW 1m
hi ive got a problem with my ph2 172

when im driving my rev counter basically does what it wants.it shoots up and down,sometimes it works ok mostly in low revs . it doesn't affect the revs of the engine at all, could this be a sensor problem

cheers

BMW 118d
does it start and idle okay? check tdc connector terminals be worth giving the sensor a clean, its located under the airbox you will have to remove it otherwise its a ballache to get too.

172 turbo & BMW 1m
does it start and idle okay? check tdc connector terminals be worth giving the sensor a clean, its located under the airbox you will have to remove it otherwise its a ballache to get too.

the odd time when idleing it just cuts out.

when im coming up to a junction if i dont give it a rev it cuts out,most of the time anyway

Mk5 golf gti
Speedo sensor at the rear of the bay to the right of the manifold when standing looking at the front of the car

there is a pic on here somewhere

as for cutting out clean the TDC sensor which is loacted on the bell housing, as mentioned remove airbox too gain easier access and clean the throttle body while your there :approve:

172 turbo & BMW 1m
thanks for the info, how much will the speedo sensor cost mate should that sort the rev counter out

Mk5 golf gti
If your speedo has a mind of its own and your revs are not bein affected at all then it is that

it has a black and ornage loom going into it IIRC

Not sure on prices im afraid ill have a quick look though

172 turbo & BMW 1m
If your speedo has a mind of its own and your revs are not bein affected at all then it is that

it has a black and ornage loom going into it IIRC

Not sure on prices im afraid ill have a quick look though

its the other way about lol the speedo is fine and the rev counter is all over the place:(

Mk5 golf gti
ahh sorry mate i misread, your gonna need a diagnostics for that
i reckon as that teamed up with the cutting out means there is an electrical fault somewhere that you need to trace imo

BMW 118d
well the tdc sensor is where you get your rpm signal from mate its a hall effect switch type iirc which means it onlys use's two wire's, u'l have a supply voltage on the one wire of around 5v and the other wire carrys the voltage generated by the coil windings inside the sensor when the flywheel pass's over the sensor tip. it works as simple as that, if the voltage genrated by the sensor isnt surficiant then the engine will cut out. does it happen more when the car is hot?

hope this helps.