ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rev limit comparisons

Black Ph1 172
Hi all,

Sorry if there's already a thread about this, I did have a quick search but it's late and I need my Horlicks.

I'm just wondering (as the title says) about comparisons on rev limits. Namely in second gear.

The 3 phase 2 172 sports I owned seemed to hit their limit in 2nd gear at about 62Mph. And my phase 2 Clio Cup hit it slightly higher for some reason, at about 65Mph.

However, after launching my phase 1 172 earlier tonight (which I've just recently bought), I got to what I'm pretty sure was about 68-69Mph in 2nd Gear by 7,000rpm... Is this normal i.e is the gearing slightly different in the phase 1's, or is it that my speedo is out slightly or something like that?

It just seems a bit weird...

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or do I just sound perculiar?

It's not really a major issue, it's just intrigues me and want to know why there's all these small variations on essentially the same car engine/gearbox-wise.

megata

Joe

joe that is about right , not sure on the cup as mine is about 62 before the rev limiter was raised the phase 1 has different gear ratio and is higher iirc

I could/can hit 70 in second after the cars had a good blast!

That was before i had the red line moved up , i still change at 7k , ive never took it all the way!

leon

VaVa
The gears are 'longer' in the ph1 172

ph2 172 and 172 Cup gear ratios are identical.

Would it be fair to say you like your Renaultsport Clios?! lol

The phase 2 172 boxes are all the same cup or normla

The phase 1 have a longer ratio box though.

The 182 have a slightly different ratios again.