ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reversing lights not working

Clio 172 Cup
Afternoon all

My reversing lights are not working. I've checked the bulbs and they are fine so i'm guessing (from searching) that it's the sensor on the gearbox/gear lever (all other rear lights work inc. fogs).

If anyone could give me a detailed explanation of how to get at this sensor it would be most appreciated (must get a Haynes manual!).

Cheers
Mike

Clio 172 2.0 16V RSport
try puttin some WD40 or electrical contact spray on the connectors in the light unit. i thought mine was the sensor but i fiddled with the connectors and now they're fine.

good luck

daz

R26
Ive just had mine fixed and it was the reverse sensor, I tested it by removing the plug and bridging it

I bought a replacement one for about £18

Heres a pic of where it is behind the front passenger wheel

reversesensor.jpg

Clio 172 Cup
Cheers for the responses guys, very useful. I didn't think the reversing lights had a separate fuse? Even so i'll have a poke around in the fuse box...

Jacko, is that where the sensor plugs into the gearbox then? Do you have to remove the wheel arch liner to get in there?

Cheers
MIke

R26
Nah you dont have to remove the liner mate you should be able to see it

Had to drain and refill my gearbox when we swapped it mind :(

"Navy" N17 TWO
How much does the sensor cost?
Is it easy to replace, do you have to drain the gearbox or were you just doing something else at the time?

R26
Ive just had mine fixed and it was the reverse sensor, I tested it by removing the plug and bridging it

I bought a replacement one for about £18

Heres a pic of where it is behind the front passenger wheel

Nah you dont have to remove the liner mate you should be able to see it

Had to drain and refill my gearbox when we swapped it mind :(

No it wasnt easy to get off either, Hutchie hates me for making him do it lol

"Navy" N17 TWO
Where is the fuse for the reverse lights?
I couldn't figure out which one it is when I looked last night :S

Megane dci 130
One way to test the switch is to put the wipers on and put the car in reverse with the engine running, the rear wiper should wipe, but if it doesnt, the sensor is at fault.