ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Revised MacBook Air.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I need one though. My 15" Pro's just too bulky considering how much I carry it about.

Now that I can get i7 power, backlit goodness and a 256GB option, it's a no-brainer for me.

Anyone want a 2011 15" i5 MBP?

Noticed these yesterday.

Would defo considder one now with the new specs over a MPB. But no RJ45 could be a bit of a PITA.

Also noticed they've pulled the white Macbook.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
They are very nice and is tempting to chop my 2011 13inch Pro for one, but want to wait and see some results as to how the lower clocked cpus manage. Ethernet port is a bit of an annoyance but would just have to get a USB adapter.

Got to laugh at speccing up an 11inch one to over £1600 by speccing up i7, 256 SSD and Applecare :p

I know that's retail pricing, but HE will still be a fair old whack :p

I think the 256Gig 13inch would be an option, no idea if the i7 is worth the upgrade need to see some benchmarks comparing it to the i5.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
why? - your 2011 13" is more powerful?

Depends if I need/utilise all the power though, which I probably don't at the moment.

It's just shiny toy syndrome, I won't chop it in as no real need and that extra power is going to be used in the near future for some stuff, I just need to get an SSD for it which will be a lot cheaper :)

Would be nice having it a little smaller/lighter with a higher screen res, but it'll do me for now.

Plus I got it pretty cheap, only cost me £750 I think it was.

Monaro VXR
I need one though. My 15" Pro's just too bulky considering how much I carry it about.

Now that I can get i7 power, backlit goodness and a 256GB option, it's a no-brainer for me.

Anyone want a 2011 15" i5 MBP?

Not a real i7 though, it's another slow dual core setup.

1.8 Ghz dual core i7, pointless compared to a MBP. Not in the same league performance wise. It's probably slower than an older i5 setup.

Inferno 182 CUP
Depends if I need/utilise all the power though, which I probably don't at the moment.

It's just shiny toy syndrome, I won't chop it in as no real need and that extra power is going to be used in the near future for some stuff, I just need to get an SSD for it which will be a lot cheaper :)

Would be nice having it a little smaller/lighter with a higher screen res, but it'll do me for now.

Plus I got it pretty cheap, only cost me £750 I think it was.

I have a 2011 13'' and i thought yep I'm selling up .. but actually .. my MBP has 8GB RAM & if i put an SSD inside it - it will piss over the MBA for a long while yet. Shiny new toy syndrome can wait until they release the ivy bridge MBP :D

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Stuck 8gig in mine the other day as when running more than one vm it started to moan.

Will probably go for Lion this weekend.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  Q8 E-Tron
Got my 13" i7 yesterday to replace the 13" Dual Core I had

This new one is amazingly fast :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's stunning, it really is but I just wouldn't want to go without a disk drive for ease.

Still want one. :eek:

Rav4
Stick in an SSD and the increase in speed is ridiculous. I am thinking of upgrading my 13" 2009 core 2 duo, for one of the latest ones, shame about the resolution. The MBA do look great though I must admit.

I always found tiger a lot better on the ram than snow leopard, a huge amount actually. I wonder how Tiger compares with SL and Lion.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
What you selling the 15" for? (price, not reason)

Not sure yet mate. Interested?

It's a Q1 2011 i5 MBP. 8GB RAM. 500GB 7200rpm HDD. Hi-res glossy.

It's literally like new. Not even any key wear (I use a rubber protector :eek:)

It's purely for size that I'm changing. The 15" MBP is a little too big for constantly carrying around.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Very, i need to shift mine but i doubt its worth more than £600.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Just, yeah.

I still have the receipt, too. £1679. As well as the box and un-opened contents. lol

Oh, and it still has two years left on the Applecare sub.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Cool, pm me a ball park figure and i'll let you know what i can do.

Inferno 182 CUP
The processor - fine .. its the graphics chip that will be your bottleneck ..

Its average at best - games will be fine if played on low settings maybe.

I would definately recommend a machine with a better card for gaming .. MBP 15 high end or the 17'' .. both have a dedicated 1GB to graphics.

although a low end 13 or 15 you could upgrade to 8GB RAM also giving you 512 dedicated memory.

Inferno 182 CUP
its a good machine - but generally gaming is left best to desktops - unless you have a ££££££ laptop

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The high-end notebooks aren't for gaming, not even close. Even my high-spec i7 iMac (12GB RAM, 1GB GPU, i7) struggles with games which a £500 PC would pummel.

You don't buy a Mac for gaming. End.

Monaro VXR
The new MBP is a better games platform than your iMac to be fair though Chris. New iMac is pretty decent though again new GPU makes a big difference.

The new GPU in them makes a world of difference. In the laptop world they are in the upper section in terms of gaming systems now. Provided they have the 6750 GPU.

Not until you start spending silly money you get a properly decent gaming laptop. SLI laptops do not come cheap.

They are also fairly pointless. Unless you want to sit with it plugged in as they are basically desktop replacements then.

Last edited:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah, they're definitely better, but a dedicated gaming PC would still own one for half the cost, if that's what you wanted out of a machine.

Not that I'd suggest buying a disgusting plastic PC.

Mondeo ST220
I really want an Air now. Been without a laptop/computer for a year now and managed surprisingly well with just my iPhone 4.

Thought about getting laptops but wanted a MacBook because I know how much I like my iPhone and that I wouldn't regret it! The MacBook Air would cover everything I need too I think.

It's just the price, finding it hard to justify in the first price even though I know I wouldn't regret it.

Would have to be 13", not sure if i7 is worth it on an Air? And also not sure on what hard drive to get, external storage is easy enough but feel like I should get as much as possible to take advantage of the SSD.

Hmmm.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
lol you know what he means :p

Generally when people say a 2011 model they are talking about sandybridge, thunderbolt etc and you know it ;)

Reasons is that the new job is away from home and I won't be garaunteed desk space and i can bring it on the train and stuff. Apple looks good and student discount sounds good