ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Revs Fluctuating on there own

Clio 172
Hi all,

I own a W reg ph1 172 clio and for a while when i come to a stop it revs to around 1.5 - 2k revs and sticks, if i rev higher it drops so i naturally thought it might be the throttle cable. Even when i change gear and engage the clutch its still revving so worried it might start to wear my clutch etc.

So the throttle cable was changed by me and my dad and for a few days it was kinda ok, now it has started again and im pulling out my hair, what would be the next thing to change?

Thanks in advance

Tony

The spring on the return of the body ins't realy strong enough it gets weather with age a strong/new spring will fix it.

Clio 172
Sorry for my ignorance but is this located were the throttle cable connects to the body? and are they difficult to change?

Thanks in advance

Tony

Sorry for my ignorance but is this located were the throttle cable connects to the body? and are they difficult to change?

Well only the phase 1 cars have a proper cable throttle body the phase 2 cars hav an electric body its in the same place but is electric motor operating it.

Changing a body is simple enough.

Ph1
Not sure if you can buy replacement springs for them. Certainly not through Renault anyway.

About 200 notes gets you a brand new throttle body. Very easy to take off too

Clio 172
Hmmmm,

Can u not buy the spring seperate? Damn thats not good, i didnt wanna spend too much grrr

Tony

Ph1
Not from Renault, you have to get the whole unit

There are places that will do you a spring but then how will you know the required tention? what about the exact OE size? (old one will be baggy remember) etc etc

Easier just to buy a new throttle body

Clio 172
Damn, this car is becoming more money than its worth :(

but i still love her hehe

thanks for the replies, might try clean the body etc first though just incase :x

tony

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
This has been covered sooooooooooooooo many times before. Do a search and you'll see that all you need to do is replace the throttle cable at a grand cost of £18 approx. I believe that 9 times out of 10 this will sort out the problem. I've put a guide showing how to do it in the guides section.

Let us know when you've done it and if it worked for you please.

Cheers, Rob669

Clio 172
I did search thats why i have changed the throttle cable as previously mentioned and its still happening Rob, thats why i was wondering what else it could be.

Thanks tony

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Tony, the thing I found was that I had to fiddle about with it a bit so it felt really smooth when connected up again. Mine feels fine now, but it did take some messing about with before the pedal action felt really smooth. I compared mine with another 172 ph 1 before I replace the cable and couldn't believe how smooth the pedal felt on the other car. Mines abaout the same now and the problems sorted.

Ph1
The throttle body springs wear out just as much as the cables if not more so and the fact that he's already replaced the cable and it was fine for a few days points to it being the spring (imo)

Quick check over the TB and cable when its reving up will identify the problem area