ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Revs going up and down between 1200 and 1800rpm

PH1 172 Sport
^^ Yep. The lower inlet to head gasket is a b**ch to change as well so hope that its not that leaking. I think the first port of call would be to check all the bolts are tightened correctly.

Ph1
If its a 182, i'll guess something to do with the electric TB or connected sensors?

Sure iv read something on here about them in the past.

If it was a ph1 172 first port of call would be TB spring, TB cable, sucking in air etc

53 Clio's & counting
yup, or idle control valve, you can take that out the equasion by either taking it off and cleaning, or a quick way is whack it with a hammer

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
My turbo 172 used to do this too!
Try putting engine under load when it happens!
Stop,handbrake on then start to pull away!
It then reterns to normal idle!
I blamed it on the map I had at the time!
Bbpt.

R35 GTR
Bbpt.
That is spot on and exactly what I have to do to cure the problem, really annoying though. I still have the bbpt map i think, not sure if it was ever changed.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
Usauly happens when coasting to a stop or waiting at trafic lights!
Then !
It stalls as you pull away!

ITB'd MK1
Bbpt.

every turbo F4R with standard ECU that I've seen has done it randomly. All been fly-by-wire that i've seen. Dont think the late stock ecu likes boost TBH. no experience of a turbo ph1.

R35 GTR
Usauly happens when coasting to a stop or waiting at trafic lights!
Then !
It stalls as you pull away!

I have never had that happen. I only ever get the problem when starting the car when it's warm. The car will rev straight upto about 4000 and the revs either sit there or drop very slowly.

It never ever happens when doing a cold start.

Also wondering if it could be caused by a dodgy fuel supply? The car only starts if I crank it over straight away when the fuel pump is priming and will not start at all if I wait too long.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
Very true.
I think it's half fly-by-wire and half
Map sensor.
We will see how the Omex copes.
Should be fine.
No fly by wire.
Better parameters to cope with any mods added.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
If I ever started mine at those revs cold it sounded like a subaru!?!
I had to sit for at least say 5mins before I'd drive away!

ITB'd MK1
I have never had that happen. I only ever get the problem when starting the car when it's warm. The car will rev straight upto about 4000 and the revs either sit there or drop very slowly.

It never ever happens when doing a cold start.

Also wondering if it could be caused by a dodgy fuel supply? The car only starts if I crank it over straight away when the fuel pump is priming and will not start at all if I wait too long.

K-tec look after your car now dont they? Spoken to them at all to see what they recommend?

R35 GTR
K-tec look after your car now dont they? Spoken to them at all to see what they recommend?

They are stumped by this too as the map on the car was originally done by bbpt. I think a proper remap is in order at some point as I know of my car, Steves and one other that has the same problem and was done by bbpt.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
They are stumped by this too as the map on the car was originally done by bbpt. I think a proper remap is in order at some point as I know of my car, Steves and one other that has the same problem and was done by bbpt.

I don't blame Bbpt .
Or the map mate I think it's just a mix of things really.
Stock ecu.
Fly by wire.

That's part the reason I have gone for standalone .

Ph1
Bbpt.

This trick also works on any of the Clios with a idle / TB prob

When i had a TB sticking spring problem i used to bring the revs down at the traffic lights by trying to make the car stall by lifting the clutch out and bringing the engine under load.