ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Revs Shooting up when Accelerating?

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Quick one Guys.

I noticed today whilst on the motorway every time I put my foot down the revs shot up and I got a short burst of speed then they came back down again within seconds!

I thought I had a turbo for a sec!!

It did this in every gear apart from 1st really.

Any idea the most likely cause? thinking spark plugs or could it be to do with the split felt cold air pipe I have which I intend to sort soon?

Thoughts please? Ta.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Clutch, stick it in 4th or 5th at 2000rpm and floor it.

Revs will rise but the car won't accelerate if it's slipping.

Don't really hear of clutch slipping on these tbh, not got that much torque 😂

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
What's the going rate for one fitted? been quoted £400ish and going of comments on here it's a 4-6 hr job.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The heavier the clutch is, the closer it is to the end of its life. They're not the lightest clutch in the world when they're new, but the difference between a worn out one and a brand new one is night and day.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
My Clio used to do this until I changed the clutch and my Golf does it on full boost because it's clutch is done.

200.gif

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
PITA to do yourself aint they? just had a look at a few guides and it sounds that way going off them!

I don't mind getting my hands dirty but one to leave to the pros methinks with a ramp!

I've just contacted Birchdown and see what they say.

Cheers all.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Yep, the clutch is heavy because the diaphragm has gone so far over centre from wear it's no longer assisting/self servoing.

Same on most french stuff from this era, 306s, 205s, Clios, Xsara's, they all do the same.