ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Revving upto 9,000 rpm

L-Y Clio 197 F1
looks nice....sadly I'll never have £4,000+ 'spare' (most probably wouldnt) and even if I did I don't think the mrs would agree on treating the car to a £4k upgrade :D

RS172 Flamer
looks nice....sadly I'll never have £4,000+ 'spare' (most probably wouldnt) and even if I did I don't think the mrs would agree on treating the car to a £4k upgrade
smiley4.gif

Me neither :/ That is why I thought the only people who would have them are either 'well off' or part of a motorsport team. Would be great to race a Civic type R in one though :)

If these claims are correct with "284bhp and 190lbs/ft of torque" then im suprised no one is using this instead of ITB's or turbo's.

I thought that aswell, but this kit has only gone live today on K-tec's site.

If i ever spent another 4k on mine ill be sticking a turbo on mine.

With those estimated figures it would be a tough choice for me

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
If these claims are correct with "284bhp and 190lbs/ft of torque" then im suprised no one is using this instead of ITB's or turbo's.

But it's not just a 'bolt on kit' is it? This will require MANY other upgrades to make that kind of power.

RS172 Flamer
what you mean by that? My 172 keeps up and has beat a Type R before so you don't need to chuck £4K into a car just to beat a CTR lol

No, I didn't make it clear. I didn't say it needed this kit just to beat one but it would be awesome to rev as high as a CTR and see the difference :)

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I was reading about this before. And as above, you'll need to get quite a few other bits and pieces done to the block also.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Its ONLY solving the problem of the lifters not revving reliably, not doing anything else, you will gain exactly zero horsepower just from the conversion to solid lifters (other than from the changing cams which come as part of the kit).

I swapped over to solids in my nova turbo engine as I was revving that to 8500rpm, but that was a £10K+ engine anyway, and so will any F4R worth fitting these to be.

Its ONLY solving the problem of the lifters not revving reliably, not doing anything else, you will gain exactly zero horsepower just from the conversion to solid lifters (other than from the changing cams which come as part of the kit).

I swapped over to solids in my nova turbo engine as I was revving that to 8500rpm, but that was a £10K+ engine anyway, and so will any F4R worth fitting these to be.

I assume you know how weak my engine knowledge is so I was pretty much reading and thinking it would be true. Is it like rocker arm stoppers in any sort of form? (please don't quote my name if this assumption seems very stupid lol)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
On the F4R, there are hydraulic lifters, these arent great for big rpm, as they can jack open, or can collapse completely, the former gives you valve contact the latter means you lose all power.

Solid lifters dont have this problem.

Also the rockers that connect the lifters to the cams are changed as well, as these are something else than can fail at high rpm. And yes that is kind of a similar thing to rocker arm stoppers on a SR20 motor etc in terms of its a mod to try and make rockers more reliable, but in this case its by completely replacing the rocker arms.

On the F4R, there are hydraulic lifters, these arent great for big rpm, as they can jack open, or can collapse completely, the former gives you valve contact the latter means you lose all power. Solid lifters dont have this problem. Also the rockers that connect the lifters to the cams are changed as well, as these are something else than can fail at high rpm. And yes that is kind of a similar thing to rocker arm stoppers on a SR20 motor etc in terms of its a mod to try and make rockers more reliable, but in this case its by completely replacing the rocker arms.

Full of info ain't you mate lol, Thanks.

Yeah the only reason I know rocker arm stoppers is from an SR20 which might be in one of my future cars if everything works out :)

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=4804&catid=&appid=0&pic=1

Do many motorsport teams already have this?
-FF Racing

What are your views? Please Discuss

No don't have it at the moment. Spent a fair bit of time after my engine blew up last year looking into various engine specs. As others have said all this kit does is solve the hydro lifters and doesn't help any of the other problems with revving the F4R so high such as massive piston speeds, weak crank, Block flex, spinning shells, need for dry sump kit etc. By the time you have addressed all the above to a decent standard you could spend best part of 20k and being realistic it could all go bang after a short period of time. Doing something so unheard of with the F4R will come with many learning curves i'm sure and be a bloody expensive experience.

Unless I suddenly come into masses of money then I will just stick with fairly normal high comp spec with a couple of little tweaks just to ensure durability! Still upwards of 2k but couldn't justify spending 10 times that and all the risks associated with it :)