ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

right gear for corner?

clio 172 cup
lets say u were racing sumone if u were on a big roundabout ready to come off at 45mph in a cliosport, would u floor it off the roundabout at 5k revs 2nd gear or would u change to 3rd before u leave the roundabout to save time changing gear.
i rev it in 2nd

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Do 1.2s even move after 45mph?

If i was in a RenaultSport clio i'd probably be in 3rd, at 45, love coming out of 40's in 2nd and having it though.

if you really need to get round it as quickly as possible, second's the obvious choice but you're 3/4 of the way through the speed attainable in second at 45mph. there's plenty of torque available in third from that speed - you're not going to bog down; would be slower but smoother

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I thought a 172 would be much higher in the revs than 5k @ 45mph in 2nd, what do you boys redline at, 7k i thought?

I thought a 172 would be much higher in the revs than 5k @ 45mph in 2nd, what do you boys redline at, 7k i thought?

i think it'd be running in the low 5,000s; they'll comfortably pull 60 in second but you're not far from the change light by then (at whatever revs that comes on at)

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
2nd all the time ;)
Makes it more interesting after lifting off, keep the back end out a little longer with less opposite lock and then bring it back in line with the loud pedal:rasp:

I can do the theory ok, but the practical aint my strongest point :eek: lol!

Mini Cooper S sport
OMG I just got excited at the thought of flying through a roundabout on an empty road in an R26 with LSD..

*damp*

I want my new car.

I'm sorry, what was the question?

Black Gold with cup packs
OMG I just got excited at the thought of flying through a roundabout on an empty road in an R26 with LSD..

*damp*

I want my new car.

I'm sorry, what was the question?

The Question was How is the clio far more capable around a roundabout than an R26! :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Wouldn't you be in 2nd anyway for more grip through the corner?

I would guess it be better to be in 2nd.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
what we need is some 45mph-100mph times, one starting in 2nd, other in 3rd.

Hyundai i40
2nd id say........foot down swop to 3rd as ur getting off the roundabout.....foot to the floor

oooo im getting excited thinking about taking ma car out later........TT course one way over mountain FTFW............I <3 TT week

172 cup
In my cup I'd be in second but looking to change up to 3rd as soon as the road straightens out. The revs in 2nd make driving more fun and make you seem like you're going faster but you'd be surprised how fast you'd be in 3rd with the car settled and using the torque. Very little difference really to be honest. If it's wet, definitely 3rd for less wheel spin/understeer.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Having been on a spirited drive I want to change my opinion to 2nd.

RB 182 Cup
2nd.

Always.

*batman*
as mark says but you should be braking into the roundabout then heel/toe down into second, that way the cars engaged to pull out of the roundabout when you've hit the apex of the roundabout,then you shouldnt be flapping about giving you plenty of non flapping about time to change nicely up into third :)

Titanium 182 & 306 Diesel
clio sport ain't a clio sport on here. the 172's and 182's are Renault Sport Clio's ;)