ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ripping

Clio III 1.2 16v
I have just found out today as i was planning on fitting a full stainless zorst to my Mk2 clio. I though I would give the local police a call to find out what the db limit is for a system. Only to be told that anything louder than standard is illegal. Aarrgh been wantin a full system for ages. After finally raising the cash to purchase one its not worth risking a fine over. Does anyone know of any performance systems that are not louder than standard. The expected answer is no.

340i
LOOOOOOOOOL!!

Anything over "standard" is illegal... So the millions of cars driving around the U.K with different exhausts on are illegal?!

All exhaust systems produce different noise levels... all dependant on the make, age, box design etc.

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
the legal ones are 'E' marked so can be used on public roads. although they'd be hard pushed to prove it wasn't e marked once fitted tbh.

Supercars are way louder standard so your car could be just as loud.

Clio III 1.2 16v
Does anyone know the db's of a janspeed system. I currently have a slash cut box on it but i feel its too big lol and wanted a change. And was fancying putting a twin Ashley system.But i dont fancy getting a fine or anthing for a zorst lol.

"Navy" N17 TWO
LOOOOOOOOOL!!

Anything over "standard" is illegal... So the millions of cars driving around the U.K with different exhausts on are illegal?!

All exhaust systems produce different noise levels... all dependant on the make, age, box design etc.

Exactly, different cars are louder than others "as they come".

It's hoofing around built-up areas at night that attracts lots of unwanted attention if you have a roaring exhaust, a bit like the curfew for sounding your horn

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
to be honest your all wrong...

anything that makes the car sound LOUDER than the car does standard in the UK is illegal... yes a zonda is louder than a 1.2 clio but that isnt the point, taking the silencers off of a zonda to make it sound different is ILLEGAL as your making it louder than standard... so changing the exhaust on a clio to make it sound different is ok aslong as its no louder...

just like if you import a car and its modified and its under a certain age it will need a SVA test, where EVERYTHING has to be stock as the manufacturer intended it, there has to be a set of guidelines everything fits in to, as a mot on a stock 172 and a highly modified 172 will be exactly the same test but the cars are different so its not really the same car...

though not many mot places or police will pull you up on it! so do it and if u get hassle all u will have to do is stick the stock system back on and get a mot place to stamp the ticket and produce it at the police station.

alien green rs133
yeah its actually part of the mot that if it sounds louder its a fail but who gives a flying f**k these days, does anyone no a car thats failed for being too loud (and not cos it was leaking at the manifold!!!!)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
yeah its actually part of the mot that if it sounds louder its a fail but who gives a flying f**k these days, does anyone no a car thats failed for being too loud (and not cos it was leaking at the manifold!!!!)

yes my old clio was failed at one station because of the noise! but then it was a straight through pipe from the turbo back, no cat, silencers or backbox... just walked out and took it to another garage.

Golf TDI
bollucks , i wouldnt of even rung the police but anyway , in the real world no one will say anything to you .