ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ripspeed

Clio 1.2 Expression
I've seen a Ripspeed HU in Halfrauds that I like and i am wondering if anyone has had any good/bad experiences with this make? I have up to £150 at most to spend and want a HU with an iPod cable. I know Alpine seem to be the recommended make, but they are quite expensive (cheapest i saw in Halfrauds was £160) so I am looking for a good yet cheap make.

Thanks

Better than yours. C*nt.
Avoid everything Ripspeed. Even if the stuff does what it says on the tin, I'm sorry but I'd sit and laugh at you all day long. I hate it with a passion, and it tends to be awful build quality. And for chavs.

Clio 1.2 Expression
right well i won't be getting ripspeed then. can you recommend any good cheap makes (or HU's) then? It has to have an ipod connector

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
i used to work for halfords about 6 years ago, take my advice dont get any stereo's from halfords they are ridiculously over priced. From my experience the cheapest is mail order, there are loads of different companys like www.caraudiocentre.co.uk

Also Ripspeed is halfords own audio brand, like apollo & carerra are halfords own mountain bike brand

Ph1 172 & others
mate if you have £150 why not save an extra tenner and go for alpine?

I used to work for halfords a year or so ago. even with my 15% discount headunits were still more expensive than alot of other places. as far as ripspeed goes.... do you really want to look like a chav?

Clio 1.2 Expression
Thanks for the advice. Definitely don't want to look like a chav. Money situation is looking a bit better as it's my birthday on wednesday and so far i have received more money than expected so i probably will go for an Alpine. The reason I have been looking in halfords is because i don't have the first idea about installation and whilst it might be easy to do, i don't want to risk it. Also, I would've thought that hooking it up to the fingertip controls would be quite difficult.

Rsport182Cup'd
G/f got the sony for christmas - tis very good IMO, works nice looks well, 4x50w 2xpreouts all adaptor for ipod etc etc,

if not and you really cant aford then jvc do one as well, www.wilcomotorsave.co.uk for £150 all leads etc,

have fun in choosin whateva u do get!

Clio 1.2 Expression
The Alpine 9850Ri is what I will probably get. Does it come with all the leads to attach the fingertip controls and the display does anyone know?

My car is an 04 Mk2 Clio btw if it makes any difference.

Last edited:
T

thecremeegg

I have the 9850ri and it's brilliant! Ipod interface works well, looks good and sounds good. U need to buy the adaptors separately however if u want to use the stalk

Tom

Clio 1.2 Expression
I have the 9850ri and it's brilliant! Ipod interface works well, looks good and sounds good. U need to buy the adaptors separately however if u want to use the stalk

Tom

Do you know which adaptors and roughly how much they would cost? Do you have the adaptors?

Also, what would need removing to install the adaptors, I don't want to be removing the dash or anything like that.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
^^ thats where I got my alpine from.. good company with a good reputation !

T

thecremeegg

Well for my car they sent me the wrong adaptor so I cant comment on how it works yet lol, but on the Mk2 Ph1 i know that nothing needs removing, but i hear that on the PH2 the top of the dash needs to come off to get to the display.
The links for the adaptors are below - you need the car interface adaptor and the HU adpator:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/inc...1.html?cadid=9251102195ee187db3584897315b401f

&

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/296...4.html?cadid=9251102195ee187db3584897315b401f

Mustang, S13, AX GT
www.caraudiosecurity.com are also very good. Sony are good for lower price headunits. JVC are OK also, I've had 2 but not sure about Ipod interface. Alpine are what I'm swinging for next so if you have teh cash Alpine would be a v good choice. ripspeed = bad

Clio 1.2 Expression
Thanks a lot everyone, I'm definitely going to go for the Alpine 9850Ri and I'm going to make a botched attempt at installing it myself. My car is a Mk2 Ph2 so I probably won't bother with the stalk adaptors if it means having to remove the dash.

Arn

2002 1.2 16v Clio
I think it goes that if you have a digital clock in the center of your dash, ull need to take the dash off. Honesly its not that hard of a task. All ull need is a T20 and a T25 screw driver and ull b flying.

1. pull rubber off around doors
2. take off A-pillar covers (theres one or two clips behind it)
3. around the steering wheel controls, that cover needs to come off. Theres two screws underneath the casing.
4. take out all the screws, two at the speed dails, three at the top of the dash . and then two at either of the dash.
5. then pull towards your self, not up. if its the first time the dash comes off it will be tougher than usual. Might be handly to have two people. open for either side of the dash.
6. to put on do the rervese as above. (gettin the dash in to place can be tricky. its around the air bag that causes the main hassel)

And i think thats it?

If anyone else has taken off there dash they might have more hints and tips 4 ya. good luck wit ya new radio. :)

Clio 1.2 Expression
just been into halfords with my dad to show him which headunit i was gonna order off the internet (Alpine 9850Ri). My dad managed to get them to do it fitted for £159 because i showed them it was cheaper on the internet! so next monday halfords are fitting the stereo

Clio 1.2 Expression
So I had the Alpine 9850Ri fitted today at Halfords in Southport, bought and fitted for £159. Surprisingly they did a very good job, told me it would be an hour (covering their backs i suppose) and was done when i came back 45mins later. The HU is great, i highly recommend it to anyone wanting an iPod HU.

Once again, thanks for all of the advice.

1.8 8v RSi
correct me if im wrong but.....i am 99.9% sure that ripspeed was a seperate company that joined with halfords about 5 years ago to promote themselves a bit better... althou i have to say some of there alloys are quite naff...