ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Road Angel Mounting

Ph2 172
Just got my road angel (The New road angel as they like to call it!!).

Is there a "best place" to mount it on the dash/screen?? At the moment i've got it with the front face more or less level with the back edge of the centre dash cut out bit!!

Am thinking i would rather connect the power in properly rather than trail the cable round to the cig lighter. Any one done this?? I was thinking of bringing a cable out fron the dash cut out, under the rubber insert. Any idea if there is an easy way to remove this part of the dash to find a feed?

cheers.

Ph2 172
jay, (or anyone else) do you have the MCX Antenna fitted for yours? and if so does it work ok?? - or at least improve it!

Mine is just as it comes at the minute, and isn't good at picking up the sat signals. Generally ok once it's got it, but takes an age - 10 mins usually.

DSC00101.gif

theres mine

BMW M3
MattW said:
jay, (or anyone else) do you have the MCX Antenna fitted for yours? and if so does it work ok?? - or at least improve it!

Mine is just as it comes at the minute, and isn't good at picking up the sat signals. Generally ok once it's got it, but takes an age - 10 mins usually.

The extra ariel is def much better. I often lost signal with just the unit its self and struggled to get through the screen. Ive got in the 182 a hard wired road angel 2 with no wires showing and the arieal can go under the the windscreen wiper cover ( between bonnet and windscree- drivers side) Has never lost a signal in about 6 months since i got it.

Let me know if you want pics....

Justin182 said:
The extra ariel is def much better. I often lost signal with just the unit its self and struggled to get through the screen. Ive got in the 182 a hard wired road angel 2 with no wires showing and the arieal can go under the the windscreen wiper cover ( between bonnet and windscree- drivers side) Has never lost a signal in about 6 months since i got it.

Let me know if you want pics....

shouldn't mind seeing a pic of that please mate?

Ph2 172
Yeah that sounds interesting.
I was just gonna get one and mount it behind the mirror as Blackspot recomend.
Still haven't got round to hardwiring mine!!

106 GTi
I have mine in the same placeish as Jays, and a 5m cable antenna sat next to the rear parcel shelf.

Works as well now in the 182 as in my past non UV screened cars.

ra-2.jpg

182 Full Fat
r-jay said:
I have mine in the same placeish as Jays, and a 5m cable antenna sat next to the rear parcel shelf.

ra-2.jpg

Same as me Jay. I think it is more disceet here, and the wire just rounds neatly along the side of the car to the unit

106 GTi
Dont even notice it where it is now, stands out on the picture due to the flash more. Works so much better, quick to start up and does not lose signal under trees etc as it did without it.

clio
When you guys say that you have hard wired the road angel in how did you reduce the voltage from 12v to 5v. If you put a volt meter on the lead coming out of the supplied fag lighter adapter it only gives 5v.

Cheers Mike

BMW M3
Got a mate who hard wired it in so not sure..... seemed pretty easy for him though as i am not too good with electronics lol

I'll go out a get thoughs pics Matt and Jay. If i can get the cover up.

Back in 10 mins..

BMW M3
Ok.. got the pics

As it sits on the dash hard wired in....

DSC00484.jpg

The laser detector under the number plate (got flash on but cant see it during the day etc..)

DSC00486.jpg

And finally, the position of my GPS antenna neatly tucked away..

DSC00487.jpg

Hope this helps...

182 Full Fat
Thats interesting where you located your Black box antenna. I never thought of that. Its fairly easy to Hard wire it, although the wires on the Road angel power lead are VERY thin, I found it easier to run a flame over the plastic coating than trying to strip the plastic off it. Also a 3amp Fuse is advisable!

Racing Blue 182
Halford gave me the short arial so only just reaches the passenger rear window. Whenever i stick it do the window id doesnt get signal, so it just dangles.
How do you get it under that wiper bit? how do you get the wire from the road angel to outside the front?

BMW M3
racing182 said:
Halford gave me the short arial so only just reaches the passenger rear window. Whenever i stick it do the window id doesnt get signal, so it just dangles.
How do you get it under that wiper bit? how do you get the wire from the road angel to outside the front?

Wire goes through underneath the passenger footwell where other wires go and in to the engine comp. From there i just managed to get it to run up under the windscreen and sit nicely there.

And the same story with the laser detector but you will need torx to get underneath. The screw mounting for under the numberplate was just used to atch it onto the back of the front spoiler/grill.

r-jay said:

ra-2.jpg

I still need to get one of these bad boys.....

Oh yeah and I need to renew my subscription for my RA2..... oh dear oh dear.

Ph2 172
Just got my MCX Antenna and temp mounted it where blackspot suggest - top of the screen in the black speckled area. Works spot on, 10-15 secs and it's picked up signal.

Not sure who mentioned 5V - I hooked my curley cable up to a bench power supply kicking out 12V, and i got 12V at the other end. Will check again for the other lead, but would expect they'd be the same.

182 Full Fat
MattW said:
Just got my MCX Antenna and temp mounted it where blackspot suggest - top of the screen in the black speckled area. Works spot on, 10-15 secs and it's picked up signal.

Not sure who mentioned 5V - I hooked my curley cable up to a bench power supply kicking out 12V, and i got 12V at the other end. Will check again for the other lead, but would expect they'd be the same.

Yeah im pretty sure its 12v all the way through. Just don't forget to put in a little 3amp fuse if you do Hardwire it!!

Dave3141 said:
anyone had any problems leaving it in the car as I am too lazy to keep disconnecting it all the time.

Mine is always left in my car, no problems. *touches wood*

106 GTi
Depending where I am parking and for how long determines if I leave mine in the screen or not.

182 Full Fat
Dave3141 said:
anyone had any problems leaving it in the car as I am too lazy to keep disconnecting it all the time.

I don't trust anyone, so usually end up taking mine out and just leaving the bracket stuck to the windscreen

leaving the bracket is dodgy to me.

Would it be a good idea to use the magnet with the sticky end on it and mount it to the dash board to plonk the road angel in? I would rather do this as i would look neater and you dont have to fiddle about with the mount everytime you get in the car?