ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Road Angel..piece of S**t !

Apologies in advance for the rant...

I should firstly point out that all of what follows relates to the use of my work vehicle for business use as I have not owned my own vehicle since late last year when I had to let my Cup go through lack of use.

Up until October last year I had absolutely no points on my license, and thats kind of the way I wanted it to stay.. On 22nd October 2004 however I got done for 65 in a temporary limit on the A899, Livingston. Now not only am I convinced that there was completely inadequate signposting of the reduced limit but more worryingly there wasnt a chirp from the Road Angel.

Next up I got zapped by a sneaky van parked on a bridge over the M74, and whilst I did see this I am guessing that the range is such that if you have seen it and are speeding then theres not much you can do by that point. Again though nothing at all from the Road Angel, do they not fire a laser of any description then ? Anyway, just when I think things cant get any worse I get a letter through yesterday saying that on 22nd March I was caught doing 52 in a 40, again not a peep from the Road Angel. I accept that I have been caught and that as annoying as it is nobody forced me to exceed any speed limits but I have to say that I am very disappointed in the Road Angel and indeed am now questioning its real worth. I regularly update it (and certainly before a longer trip just in case) so it’s not like it shouldn’t ‘know’ where new sites are. One things for sure, my vote will be going to the party thats fairest to motorists as this lot of jokers are only interested in screwing us over either with high fuel prices or their delightful little cash machines that flash at you (sometimes).

:(

I would first question your own actions....no offence ment.

Is it FULLY updated?

Is the laser detecotr in a suitable position to pick up any lasers from front or rear?

K20 EG Hatch

i think there not bad, mine does seem to go off for mobile ones, well has done, dont wanna jinx meself here. they could deffo be alot better though i think.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

If its from the laser vans the problem is that even if the ra did get it, doesnt that already mean that the detector is on you?

Harsh luck mate, the A899 is now down to 50mph pernamently, camera vans on it at least twice a week. BTW never realised you were from round here? Where do you stay?

[Edited by EvilJohn on 26 April 2005 at 6:46pm]

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

a laser detector will hardly ever save you... it works by emitting two signals which bounce back, the signals measure the distance, and the difference of the signals, over the time taken between signals, is as basic analysis of how it works out what speed you were doing.

The fact it didnt detect the laser, tells me that the detector wasnt located properly. The laser is aimed at the front number plate, if the detector is in the window, all it detects is laser scatter, which is normally the case, but all depends on the location of the detector.

Best way to avoid getting caught is simply not to speed. Even with the best laser/radar/gps detectors, you still take the risk of getting caught if youre speeding. Not a dig, just a comment.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

I am thinking of investing, as there are 5 new speed cameras in parts of Manchester that I use regularly, if there is this many where I am, whos to say how many more have been "planted" in places Ive not yet been past waiting to grab the next poor "innocent" or unobservant motorist and f*** them over???

EvilJohn -> I am from Bargeddie mate (close to Coatbridge and about 20 mins by train from Glasgow), still at least its cheap :oops:

Good point about the location of the laser detector, for the record its in the bottom right hand corner of the screen in the Focus more for tidyness of wiring than anything as I didnt think the position would make a huge difference.

I realise that once the laser detector is triggered it is too late, unless it is targetting the vehicle in front and you pick up the scattered beam or whatever but I was understandably surprised it didnt do anything. Shame there is not a way of testing the laser detector other than driving by old bill too fast lol !

As far as updating goes I try and do it weekly or sometimes fortnightly though having said that I make a point of doing it the previous night if I am doing a longer run say to Aberdeen or up that neck of the woods. Id be interested to know how often the database at the server end is updated though.

I now have no choice but to observe speed limits really closely as I cant do my job (PC field engineer) without a license and I love the job. Its going to be a nervous 2.5 years or so though until they start coming off....

Be careful out there people as its not always the stuff you can see that catches you as I now know to my cost.

[Edited by BossCup on 26 April 2005 at 8:21pm]

You have to have it in the middle of the windscreen, so the laser detector is just above the wipers for the best chance of it detecting any laser stuff.

You *can* get them tested - I think if you goto Blackspot (People who make the RA) then they test it for ya..

106 GTi

Agree with Daz on the postioning, the manual goes into about two pages explaining why it is important to place it correctly to allow any chance off the laser alert saving you.

As others have said laser is so quick by the time you do get an alert it is normally to late to re-act and you will have already been caught.

I have had my RA2 for well over a year and also have not seen any laser alerts. Seems ok for cameras tho.

Ford Fiesta

Bosscup the focus screen is quite large and mounted in to bottom corner is not ideal. It may look neat but whats the point if its poorly sited. Get it in the middle low down as possible but enough to have a clear viw of the road ahead and behind.

It dont matter if you have never updated it for the laser sites, that works of its in built recievers. I update mine 2/3 times a week. Ive added 7 new cameras to the road angel 2 and therefore blackspots database over past 3 weeks, cameras which I saw before blackspot new they were about.

If you wanted almost perfect laser recpetion buy two additonal laser sensors put one just near you rear number plate and one at the front number plate and link them all up with the two built in laser sensors on the road angel. It would work then for sure.

Also check you dont have laser turned off in the menu.

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Up until October last year I had absolutely no points on my license, and thats kind of the way I wanted it to stay.. On 22nd October 2004 however I got done for 65 in a temporary limit on the A899, Livingston. Now not only am I convinced that there was completely inadequate signposting of the reduced limit but more worryingly there wasnt a chirp from the Road Angel.

I drive the A899 twice a day, every day, including when they had temporary limits on the road. To be fair, I was probably the only one doing 30 mph having been caught by a temp gatso on the M8 doing 64 in a temp 40, so youre not alone on the speeding stakes. Additionally, 30mph on a dual carriageway seemed a little too slow for me - people came flying past and even flashing their lights at me.

However, I have to disagree about the posted limit. Perhaps they werent up or they were obscured when you were on the road, but they had huge 30 mph signs on every slip road and entry into the temporary limit in addition to speed camera signs. It really was obvious.

Clio 182 LY + Cup packs

I reckon the best thing to do is get a radar/laser jammer fitted then no matter what they shouldnt be able to get a speed reading on you.

Another thing we could all do is just refuse to pay the speeding fine. If we all did that then theres nothing the authorities could do.

The amount of cameras and temporary sites around the place is just getting ridiculous, im getting to the point where im spending more time looking at my speedo than at the road.

BOSSCup, I suggest you just sell the road angel, thats what I did in the end becuase it just seems to be a complete waste of time and money IMO.

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 26 April 2005

However, I have to disagree about the posted limit. Perhaps they werent up or they were obscured when you were on the road, but they had huge 30 mph signs on every slip road and entry into the temporary limit in addition to speed camera signs. It really was obvious.

Well as per my paperwork from the old bill my 65mph was in a 50 zone but yes 30 is really slow for a road like that.

why do people state the obvios about "well best way not to get caught is not to speed" ? boss cup didnt come on complaining about speed limits or boasting about what speed he was doing. he was talking about a product that he felt did not live up to his expectations. people are far too quick to jump down others throats on here and take the moral high ground when it suits them.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

Quote: Originally posted by m4rk on 27 April 2005

why do people state the obvios about "well best way not to get caught is not to speed" ? boss cup didnt come on complaining about speed limits or boasting about what speed he was doing. he was talking about a product that he felt did not live up to his expectations. people are far too quick to jump down others throats on here and take the moral high ground when it suits them.
as i said, wasnt a dig, just a comment. In fact, the comment was just used to emphisise the fact youre never safe (in terms of getting caught) if you speed.