ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rocker Cover Painting

Trophy Turbo :)
Rocker Covers.

How do people paint these?? or powder coat them?? As i want too do mine but dont want too take the risk of nacking the cam bearings.

Any help

TrackCar & F30 330d
Well getting it powdercoated makes a much better looking finish but you obviously need to remove the belts and shizzle but if you can get it timed up again then i'd do that.

Apart from that just giving it a really good de-grease and spraying it with the colour of your choise.

Doing mine is on the to-do-list

ITB'd MK1
clean with wheel acid, etch prime, then paint as normal. If you use VHT paint then skip the primer as it reacts and never goes hard (been there, done that lol)

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
what does VHT stand for? hight temp paint or smth like that?
thx

340i
IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

cleaned up acid wheel cleaner, keyed with sandpaper... masked and cardboard around the bay

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
To mask where the bolts go gets some of those paper reinforcing rings that you use to stop paper tearing out of a ring binder, can get them from whsmith etc. They work a treat.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
strange, that looks like a hole, mine is flat although the plenum has a hole that joins that area. what's that for?

Trophy Turbo :)
I am unsure if i use the spray gun if the Base coat and Laqure will withstand the temps of the engine, the engine is now in many bits already i did that yestersay, ready for the winter refurb...

TrackCar & F30 330d
I would have thought that the paint will cope fine with the temps, you thinking of getting it done in Liquid Yellow?

b/g 182, meg tourer
mine engine bay was masked up and an old sheet in there to stop overspray, then painted with normal paint from a rattle can in a bright silver colour. no need for high temp paint. inlets were also painted while they were off.

this is how it turned out...

DSC02321.jpg

C

clio-lord

mine engine bay was masked up and an old sheet in there to stop overspray, then painted with normal paint from a rattle can in a bright silver colour. no need for high temp paint. inlets were also painted while they were off.

this is how it turned out...

DSC02321.jpg

so you just used matt black paint? i like the grey matt finish

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Ive done my inlets and fuel rail guard, painted black with vht and then polished the letters...

Just starting on the rocker cover! it a pig to mask!

b831ecdc.jpg

b/g 182, meg tourer
so you just used matt black paint? i like the grey matt finish

yes, i used normal matt black paint on the inlets.
and normal silver paint on the rocker cover. no need for high temp paint on either of them. not keen on the finish on vht paint.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Have my inlet off at the moment to find where I have oil seeping from, cleaned the rocker last night but its a ballache to get crap out of the "nooks n crannys"
Used Muc-Off and some rags to get most of it cleaned up

Will Bilberry wheel cleaner be strong enough to clean the engine before painting?
What needs taken out of the way to get the rocker cover properly masked up? :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Muc-Off or undiluted Billberry be alright to clean up the rocker before painting? :)

Yes it'll be fine, I used super degreaser and White sprite to clean my engine & gearbox. Just make sure you get in all the little nucks and crannies and it'll be fine. Then once it's built up again then run the engine. Ice and hot and it'll bake on (that's if your using VHT Paint)

Before

DSC02930.jpg

After

IMG_5083.jpg

^^^^ what an engine bay!

Is normal spray paint good enough for the rocker cover or even hammerite? Or does it have to be VHT spray

TrackCar & F30 330d

I can only comment of what I have used, it's best to do the job properly first time so it saves you doing It again if it goes all manky, so personally I'd get VHT paint :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'll be doing mine in situ, so won't be as easy to give it a deep clean like yours lol

ph1 clio 172
Yes it'll be fine, I used super degreaser and White sprite to clean my engine & gearbox. Just make sure you get in all the little nucks and crannies and it'll be fine. Then once it's built up again then run the engine. Ice and hot and it'll bake on (that's if your using VHT Paint)

Before

DSC02930.jpg

After

IMG_5083.jpg

that looks grear chap , better than new
j

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I'm sorry to bump this. But is it easy to take that mount lump thingy, to left of the rocker, off? Anyone? Looking to clean my bay up. It's mucky.

Support the engine with a jack on the sump (if you have a small saddle then use a block of wood to spread the weight).

Then its just the centre nut in the mount, then three bolts over the cam cover. Very easy.