ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Roll Centre Correction hubs on a daily driver - Lunatic Idea?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Question for those running RCK on your hubs and most notably the original @NorthloopCup / BigAsh kits.

Has anyone run these on a daily driven vehicle, and how have they faired in terms of bearing life/corrosion.

I run a full spherical bearing setup on the front of my Cayman R but this does between 3-6k miles a year and mainly in fair weather. I’m taking about using this setup on a daily driven Clio doing 13k per year in all weathers.

I’m more than expecting the need to clean/protect them and the fact the bearings will be a “lifed” part that I may need to change annually.

However are they suitable with being serviced that often, and will they cope with daily life providing they're cared for and lubricated/protected regularly.
I’ve not found any issues with the RSS kit on the Porsche but they’re billet alloy lower arms so have less corrosion issues.

Answers on a postcard, many thanks. 🙂

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
been running them (finally!) for a year now (about 10k Km)
I found some washers that seemed usefull, they're not (see Original RCK thread)
Big rubber boots on the outer track rods are perfect.
Gonna do a spannercheck soon, so will let you know/show how they look.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
been running them (finally!) for a year now (about 10k Km)
I found some washers that seemed usefull, they're not (see Original RCK thread)
Big rubber boots on the outer track rods are perfect.
Gonna do a spannercheck soon, so will let you know/show how they look.

Thanks chap. Are yours zinc plated from the later GB?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I'd give them a go over with ACF-50/Corrosion Block.

Did my coilovers when i put them on this time last year and they don't have any rust on at all.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Been running my northloop ones for around 6 months daily and been fine. Bearings only cost aorund £35 a time so will probably replace once a year as I only do around 8-10k miles

I coated mine in ACF50 when they were fitted. And after one winter and very very little use corrosion had already hit hard. The bolts looked a state.

Nah it was an ACS kit.

Wear was non existent. Was still functioning the same as when it was new. I just had to clean up the bolts to make them look good again. They were black mild steel from memory.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I coated mine in ACF50 when they were fitted. And after one winter and very very little use corrosion had already hit hard. The bolts looked a state.

I've recently seen this video and it looks like acf 50 isn't really up to the job if not reapplied regularly.

I'm still to try the XCP myself, but looks a lot better suited to winter driving conditions.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I've recently seen this video and it looks like acf 50 isn't really up to the job if not reapplied regularly.

I'm still to try the XCP myself, but looks a lot better suited to winter driving conditions.

It's good enough, as i said earlier my coilovers have done 12 months and 5k miles with one application.

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I'm quite tempted to buy both ACF50 and XCP and when I switch to coilovers cover one side in one product and the other side in the other and see how they compare. Might then end up with one corroded side though ;)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Nah it was an ACS kit.

Wear was non existent. Was still functioning the same as when it was new. I just had to clean up the bolts to make them look good again. They were black mild steel from memory.

Those black bolts are self coloured and don't have any coating so they are a pain for corrosion. ACF tends to soak into them initially so I find that they take a second coat.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Just to keep this updated.
Hubs when they arrived, now stripped blasted ready for plating/coating.
New SNR bearings on the way with new bottom ball joints and rod ends.

678D9330-0EE3-464F-9157-443E3B2FFB7D.jpeg
8938879D-D045-447D-88C7-EF8AB713D158.jpeg
F5727CBB-2A9E-4AF4-9DDC-6783A4D4437A.jpeg
F8D9D8F2-2ACC-4218-A65D-4AEC05DA30AB.jpeg

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
I literally bought myself a new daily as I wasnt happy to use these through winter 😂

I had them on the car for a couple of months and already they look a complete mess. Work fine still, just covered in rust.
Going to clean them up and paint the bits I can, may even fit new bearings for the sake of it.

In terms of comfort in a daily, I barely noticed a difference between these and standard setup.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
The wishbones will get blasted with a lot more debris and direct spray than the top of the coilover. Corrosion block is more resilient