ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rolling Road

mini cooper s
I've only got a 1.2 16v but knew it had lost a bit of power so wanted to see the figures it was putting out. Its a 53 plate and now only puts out 49.2 bhp, lost about 25 brake! I knew it wouldve lost some but didnt think it would've lost this much! Does anyone know what the common problems are for losing power? Im getting the diagnostics done on monday but was just looking for some general problems before I get it done. Cheers.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Is that the "at wheel" figure or at the "fly" figure?

a good service will help

mini cooper s
It says engine power is 49.2 bhp and wheel power is 30.6 bhp. Yeah i'm gonna get it a good service on monday after fcs.

mini cooper s
It is slow mate, its horrible! Has anyone else had a 1.2 on a rolling road? What power did it put out? Think there's any main problem I should be looking at apart from a good service or is it hard to tell until the diagnostics is done? Cheers.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Maf woul be worth checking. Our Alfa one failed but didn't show an error for ages. Soon as I fitted a new one we were off and flying again.

Renault clio 1.2 16v 04
you probly need a gd service my car hasnt been serviced since 19k its now on 43 ive got a major service booked for the 19th i hope it isnt 2 expensive :( btw is it true you lose power as the cambelt wears ?

mini cooper s
Apparently it is mate as the timing is slipping, i've got my cambelt booked for monday aswell as my cousins pal has taken the day off work and is looking at my car for the whole day so should hopefully fix it. Is it a common problem if the cat gets clogged up? The boy who did my rolling road said it could be that and I would need a new cat?

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
If a timing belt becomes tired you don't lose power until it snaps. If as you say it's slipping your timings out and you'd know that big time from a knocking noise where the valves have made contact.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
heard fo a few cars losing power like this due to aftermarket exhausts (like the kwik fit standard replacements etc) worth a look

mini cooper s
Cheers for the help guys. I'll let yous know whats said when I get it checked on monday. Personally I think there must be more than 30.6bhp going to the wheels but i'm just going off the figures the rolling road gave out. Can rolling roads be set up to read figures unnacurately? Might sound a daft question just a thought though.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Alot of rolling roads are only close to the true power at a point. Every rolling road is different.

Last year I had cams, full system, head and ports done on my bike. On the first rolling road they got it set up and hit 148bhp @ wheels

I then had another run on a different road and it hit 139bhp @wheel.

Sounds silly but I'd also get a head gasket check done. They sometimes aren't the most obvious failure but can kill performance. It's a very quick simple test.

immaculate clio 172
30.6bhp
That must be terribly slow

Sorry i shouldnt laugh but 30 bhp on the rolling road just the thought of the operator giving you the print out is making me cry with laughter,
Oh well you may have some probs at moment but you would have made a few guys smile with those figures i bet lol atleast you getting it sorted though hey, that thing will feel like a race car when its back to near 75 bhp :D

Tav

Clio 197
If the rolling road is capable of handling 600bhp say, I can't imagine it being particularly accurate at low powers like that.

Renaultsport 200
Sorry i shouldnt laugh but 30 bhp on the rolling road just the thought of the operator giving you the print out is making me cry with laughter,
Oh well you may have some probs at moment but you would have made a few guys smile with those figures i bet lol atleast you getting it sorted though hey, that thing will feel like a race car when its back to near 75 bhp :D

LOL!

mini cooper s
Hahaha, true though it is unreal having 30.6bhp going to the wheels. It'll feel better when it gets anywhere close to standard power.

320d
Lol 49.2bhp is terrible. I'd check 02 and lamba sensors, give it a good service and headgasket like posted above.

Hows the fuel economy?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if your car has lost a genuine 25bhp a service is not going to just like magic make it re appear, infact its probably going to make about 1bhp difference if your lucky from the change of the air filter.

few checks. does the car idle ok, does it pull clean to the limiter, it wont be great over 5.5k (think they limit at 6250rpm but its been that long) and lastly have you tried it up against another one?

cat could possibly be blocked, take it a blast down the motorway sitting at 5000rpm+ in 3rd gear for about 5 miles (make sure your coolant temp guage has been at the mid way point for about 10-20 minutes before you try this to be easyer on the engine.

does the car run ok from cold? if its very hesitent this could indicate a faulty lambda but usually they flag a warning light.

id be 90% the RR youve used has given a dodgey reading but if you think it feels very slow then it may well be true.

my old one ran 83bhp iirc 4yrs ago

mini cooper s
Lol 49.2bhp is terrible. I'd check 02 and lamba sensors, give it a good service and headgasket like posted above.

Hows the fuel economy?

Fuel economy isnt the best tbh, driving it sensibly and getting about 38mpg but if I drive it harder then it goes down to about 31.

mini cooper s
if your car has lost a genuine 25bhp a service is not going to just like magic make it re appear, infact its probably going to make about 1bhp difference if your lucky from the change of the air filter.

few checks. does the car idle ok, does it pull clean to the limiter, it wont be great over 5.5k (think they limit at 6250rpm but its been that long) and lastly have you tried it up against another one?

cat could possibly be blocked, take it a blast down the motorway sitting at 5000rpm+ in 3rd gear for about 5 miles (make sure your coolant temp guage has been at the mid way point for about 10-20 minutes before you try this to be easyer on the engine.

does the car run ok from cold? if its very hesitent this could indicate a faulty lambda but usually they flag a warning light.

id be 90% the RR youve used has given a dodgey reading but if you think it feels very slow then it may well be true.

my old one ran 83bhp iirc 4yrs ago

Cheers for all the help bud. Car idles very low, just over 500rpm and has cut out a few times when been stopped at lights. When on the rolling road you could smell the cat so think it could be blocked, i'll give it a blast down the motorway aswell though. Its alright from cold and I think the rolling road has given a slightly dodgey reading, however I still think it is very underpowered.