ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rough Running Problems

To follow on from my thread in faults forum, (http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=498735) im now getting very fed up and running out of ideas. Doesn't help that its bank holiday and places are closed.

Since my previous thread i have changed the coilpack, and plugs. These have had no chance. Today we have check that they are firing and they do.

Today i've done a compression test today, 1 and 4 read just below 200 and 2 and 3 read around 150.

Another thing is we had the air box off and started and reved it slightly and it seemed better.

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j58/clio-ell/?action=view&current=Video005.flv

When filming that after was a smell of petrol around the engine.

Car is very lumpy, doesn't stall and revs jump about. My only guess now is headgasket gone between 2-3 and or timing is some way out, as im not sure what that noise is when revving. On start up there is a squeeck noise from a tensioner or that area.

Can anyone else suggest anything that could be wrong, last resort is plugging it in at renault. Been told this will be £93.

The more i have been talking to people and searching on here the more it becomes apparent its the head gasket. How hard is it really to do it on my engine.

Need it fixing asap, thinking now taking time off work and fixing it myself.

BG182®
I think you best best is to get it looked at ASAP. I'm no mechanic but If it means taking a day or two off work I would mate.

When you put your foot flat down how does it pick up? Does it run lumpy or accelerate normally as to how it should?

Breaking 172 NV676
Would take it in to get it looked at myself,

Doesnt sound like a head gasket to me, Are you using a lot of water, or in the oil filler does the oil look a bit white and little bit like mayonaise those two are the common things when its your headgasket.

There is none of the white residue on the cap or stick, nothing in the coolant bottle but smells a bit funny. Squeezed the hoses and all are soft.

Removed a injector one by one today and all had effect, so rules out fueling/ignition problem.

Someone has mentioned today maf and exhaust sensor, would this really cause this much problem.

It doesn't rev past 3k and very hesitant to rev even when you put your foot all way down. Has to think about it then struggles to 3k.

I've got the car booked into a local garage for the cambelt to be changed alot with water pump.

It'll basically be a 72K service, what other things would people suggest. Fuel filter, air filter, oil filter. I was also thinking of letting them doing the engine mounts but i may just do them myself.

My car is in the garage at the moment and have just called to inform me that it has jumped a few teeth. He said there is no sign of a reason why it has, but is hoping it'll be fixed when timed up and new belt kit. Also replacing the water pump as he said this was showing signs it may of leaked.

Think i'll do all the rest of the servicing myself on a day off.

I just want to update this as i now have the car back, running as it should.

Well it did turn out to be the cambelt which had jumped, causing it to come out of time.

Water pump was showing signs of leaking so this was also replaced.

I highly recomment Andrew Longs Garage(Chambers, Shell) in ashford, honest guys and turned it around in 5 hours.

So my experience with this is never rule out that the timing may have come out.