ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rough Start at cold/medium temp

Clio 182 FF
Hey,
I’ve been noticing lately that my little 182 is quite rough to start after a long drive and left sitting for an ou hour or two, when it’s not completely cold but not up to temp either.

It’s perfectly fine when starting from cold or hot when it’s been left for a few minutes tho.

The car was remapped for e85, could the map just not be optimized for these kind of startups?

What sensor could be defective? Cam position sensor or something like coolant temp sensor could cause that?

Thanks in advance for the help.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Mine was a bit slow to start when warm (a few more cranks than I was used to, nothing too drastic), until I replaced the crankshaft sensor with the updated loom. Not sure if it’ll help in your case, just my experience.
I think if the coolant temp sensor was faulty you’d see the temp gauge acting funny or not sitting in the middle when warm.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
No cam sensor on 182.

With it being mapped for e85 its hard to say whats at fault, might need more enrichment on startup. We dont have e85 on the pump in the uk.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I believe @Cliomaxx69 has his 172 running on e85, wonder if his starts are fine? Believe it needed different injectors if I remember his post about it, are your injectors still original?

Clio 182 FF
Mine was a bit slow to start when warm (a few more cranks than I was used to, nothing too drastic), until I replaced the crankshaft sensor with the updated loom. Not sure if it’ll help in your case, just my experience.
I think if the coolant temp sensor was faulty you’d see the temp gauge acting funny or not sitting in the middle when warm.
i might give that a try, although it seems it might be fuel pressure connected issue. giving the fuel 2/3 primes seemed to help
I don’t know if it’s just too lean at this exact temp tho, it’s always been fine till these last couple of weeks and from cold even in the winter it always starts first try

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Don't have my Clio anymore but I remember it definitely started first try when got and left for an hour, it only struggled when it was cold and about 12°c outside, started first try when it was 0/-1°c oddly

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Might be different depending on the map but the guy who did mine told me to put Megane 2 RS spark plugs

Clio 182 FF
Might be different depending on the map but the guy who did mine told me to put Megane 2 RS spark plugs
Don't have my Clio anymore but I remember it definitely started first try when got and left for an hour, it only struggled when it was cold and about 12°c outside, started first try when it was 0/-1°c oddly
i don’t know it’s really weird issue, starts perfect from cold even in really cold weather, but since the hot days it’s kind of all going to s**t lol, compression do sound fine to my ears tho, even when hot

Clio 182 FF
UPDATE : now the car seems to have a really feint misfire under light throttle, all is fine when I press harder on the gas peddle. Pulls fine but I just can hear and feel the hesitation when applying small throttle input. I think it’s a bad batch of e85, tried to put some more in, still the same.

I’m rooting for a bad injector. Gonna go back later today to old map and stop injectors to see if it helps.

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Had the same problem, turns out I had fake Chinese injectors, bought proper ones and dolces the problem

Clio 182 FF
Had the same problem, turns out I had fake Chinese injectors, bought proper ones and dolces the problem
you know I’ve been thinking I might have this exact issue, they’re about 1.5 years old they shouldn’t be fucked this early + I don’t actually know what brand they are. Gonna test the stock injectors later today and keep the thread updated.

I feel like my starting issues and these misfire might be connected as well

Clio 182 FF
UPDATE : Put the stock injectors and stock map back in, it fixed the misfire AND the weird startup issue that I had, bought some genuine Magnetti Marelli 330cc injectors and all should get sorted 👌
another quick update : compared the genuine MM injectors to the fake chinesium
the car feels more torquy, more eager to go high up the rev range. and what was a really soft pop and bang map is now quite violent

Attachments

• IMG_9769.jpeg
    IMG_9769.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9773.jpeg
    IMG_9773.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39