ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RR Power Figures

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Just took my car to a rolling road that Ive used on previous cars, so Im happy with the RR itself.

My car came out at 160bhp, is this correct for a mk2 172?
Heres the figures:-
Max 160 BHP at 6562 rpm
Max 137 lb/ft at 5500 rpm

There is a definit drop and then pickup in the graph between 4500 and 5000 rpm, is this normal?

On the second run, the ABS and SERV light came on and it came out at 147bhp.

On the third run, the ABS and SERV lights were still on, but it came out at 140bhp!!!!

So, should I be worried? I have driven the car since the RR session this morning and the ABS and SERV lights are now off again, so all seems well.

1.) Is the 160bhp figure about right?
2.) Should I be worried about the ABS/SERV lights or did they just come on cos the rear wheels were not going anywhere?

Thanks for any advice.

Lee.

Are these at the wheel figures, or flywheel figures? If its wheels, it sounds too high, if its fly, it sounds too low!

I just dont trust rolling roads. Even supposedly reliable ones turn out to be disappointingly inaccurate.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

160 seems too low to me?

I mean, I know the engine isnt benchtested in the 172, but was expecting more than 160bhp. After all, supposedly thats why the clio 172 is called a 172 innit?

Yeah, at the flywheel should have 167/170bhp, depending on what type of bhp the RR is measuring in. If I were you, I wouldnt worry about it. Its more likely that the RR is wrong than your engine.

At the last RR I went to, the guy had to keep on doing runs to get the at the wheel figures suitabley low for a print out. Load of old rubbish.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 24 January 2004

At the last RR I went to, the guy had to keep on doing runs to get the at the wheel figures suitabley low for a print out. Load of old rubbish.
Yep my car was 1 of these. at the same RR the car had made 144 @ wheels two weeks before, when we went again i got 157 @ wheels. with 500 miles diff on the car! the car was totally standard and run with 1500 miles and 2000 miles respectivly.

Steve, your car made about 181bhp at the wheels according to one of the runs. If I were you, id stick with that one ;)

Lee

BMW M2C

I had mine on a Rolling Road twice last year and got different figures from each one.

At Northampton Motorsports I got 158bhp @ fly then at Power Engineering I got 168bhp @ fly.

Rolling roads are useless for telling you what your car is actually producing. They are more useful, providing you use the same one, at showing what difference mods have made to your car.

Ill be interested to see what I get next time at Power Engineering.

The serv light coming on is because the rears arent going anywhere. If you switch the ESP off it still gets its arse in hits hand. Youll find it does the same if you corner it hard enough to get it onto three wheels. ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 24 January 2004

Rolling roads are useless for telling you what your car is actually producing. They are more useful, providing you use the same one, at showing what difference mods have made to your car.
I think theyre fairly useless for this purpose too. Me and SilverRSC gained 10bhp each at the same RR in the space of a fortnight, and Id made just one change to the car, and Steves was still standard!

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

KK, you guys have made me feel better :)

I kinda figured, the lights were nothing to worry about, just concerned by the 160 figure, thats all.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 24 January 2004

Steve, your car made about 181bhp at the wheels according to one of the runs. If I were you, id stick with that one ;)

would that would make it the most powerful 172 on cliosport??LMFAO i didnt even have a viper then!

the above is a joke before any1 starts!

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 24 January 2004

KK, you guys have made me feel better :)

I kinda figured, the lights were nothing to worry about, just concerned by the 160 figure, thats all.
Just go along to a RR day when there are other standard/slightly modded 172s and you can see whether yours is low or whether its the RR. To be honest though, id take those figures as a pinch of salt.

I know a guy who works for MG Rover. They bench tested the 172 engine and it only came out at 160Bhp. They also tested the 206 180 engine and that came out at about 180 (If I remember rightly). Certain about the 172 figure. I wouldve thought they wouldve been fairly accurate, although i appreciate RR results no matter where they come from cant be 100%

(sorry, it was 165bhp, not 160) I wouldnt worry too much. As long as it still feels bloody quick thats al that matters!

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 24 January 2004

I had mine on a Rolling Road twice last year and got different figures from each one.

At Northampton Motorsports I got 158bhp @ fly then at Power Engineering I got 168bhp @ fly.

Ill be interested to see what I get next time at Power Engineering.

The serv light coming on is because the rears arent going anywhere. If you switch the ESP off it still gets its arse in hits hand. Youll find it does the same if you corner it hard enough to get it onto three wheels. ;)

have a look at ur atw figures!

there were both the same for NM and PE, i know because i have it on tape, and i used ur car as a guinea pig to compare the 2 RRs

it was the atf calcs that was making the diff

My Cup made 180 hp @ fly on a group RR day (other car forum) and everyone elses figures seemed to be spot on, I still say there are some stupidly slow/low powered 172s out there like my bros first 172 (which was matched by a pals 106 ralley which had a IK/de-cat) His second one was so much faster and could do 15.0 1/4 mile @ 93 mph with full interior, his first one would have struggled to get into the 15s.

Ph1

I was once told that a rolling road needs to be re-caliberted every so often to keep it accurate this would explain the varying figures from one RR to another.

As for the power of a 172/cup, it says in the sales brochure up to 172BHP not a guaranteed 172bhp..... in any case these engines need a good few miles under there belts before they really loosen up......as Ive found out recently at 33000miles!!!!