ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS - Feel the Need

Mental to think some are on 3rd Engines :O

Hopefully they’ll ‘sort’ the issues out and you can continue to enjoy RS ownership.

If all fails just buy a mint 172 Cup lol.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
LOL at "bringing in Cosworth". Because no one at Ford could possibly have the skills to analyse such an issue?

And it's not like 150hp per litre is unheard of for a production turbocharged engine these days.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What have you got out of ford mark?

A few other lads have got £500 back plus extended warranty and one or two have had some other things thrown in such as free service plan etc with it.

I've given no thought to this whatsoever...it's not even occurred to me to ask. If I got the warranty extended that would be something I guess...but as I still have 4.5 years remaining of my original warranty that would be of little value or comfort as if it were to all go wrong again it'll do so well within that time limit.

I just want my car back with documented assurance that it's properly fixed, that'll do me.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
What were your questions @MarkCup and what didn't you like about the response.
Also how will you know the engines properly fixed when as said above some people are on their 3rd engine.
That's pretty pants for a modern engine.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
In other news, my engine arrived at the dealership yesterday 3 days ahead of schedule, it looks like you may be right @imprezaworks :laughing:

They called me to advise and also answered some of my questions. I said those answers weren't good enough, try again.

They're going back to Ford and then coming back to me.

Lol ask for the engineering failure analysis report from it, make sure it’s REV1 as well.

Your well within your rights ask for it too.

Bet it will take 2 weeks from point of removal to produce but that will the real reason for failure.

How many YouTube subscribers do you have at them moment?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
62CE6D88-5426-4A72-97CA-22A5A407B3FD.png

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
how can he claim this when he said he didn't drive any of the alternatives? they should of stuck with the mk2 focus rs Volvo engine. or just buy a mk2 focus rs mountune 375

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
how can he claim this when he said he didn't drive any of the alternatives? they should of stuck with the mk2 focus rs Volvo engine. or just buy a mk2 focus rs mountune 375

For the perfect car would be the Mk3 RS handling and characteristics with the 5 pot sound of the old RS, but it doesn’t meet emissions criteria for new cars.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Lol ask for the engineering failure analysis report from it, make sure it’s REV1 as well.

Your well within your rights ask for it too.

Bet it will take 2 weeks from point of removal to produce but that will the real reason for failure.

Useful! Thanks Dan. REV1...that's a generic term or something specific to Ford?

It's now 2,876. Madness, it just keeps ticking upwards...my first "engine's gone" video is nudging 75k views as well.

I feel a good few trackdays are coming next year off the back of all this!

#viral #legend

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

It's now 2,876. Madness, it just keeps ticking upwards...my first "engine's gone" video is nudging 75k views as well.

#viral #legend
Rev1 would be revision one. Probably the first document written not the second one written to please customers that are being a pain in the ass with YouTube videos :wink:

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus

#viral #legend

No REV1 will mean it’s the first revision, which would be filled out by the engineer not filtered by an administrator afterwards.

Nice, I might make a “my engine hasn’t gone” video to see what happens then, people focus on negatives imo lol

Yep I am lining up oulton Park after the new year.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I was thinking about the engine out work this morning. I can only imagine the damage they’ll do to the paintwork in the process. Not the sort of thing you’d want on a new car. I’d be amazed if it comes back without chips, scratches and dings etc. I hope the OP has taken photos etc.

I was bricking it when I had my windscreen replaced let alone an engine lol.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
@MarkCup I also wanted to ask what your relationship with the garage is like?
Are they being really genuine and helpful or do you get the feeling they think here comes that Mark chap again with his cameras and questions, what does he want now?

They genuinely have little awareness of my YT expolits...but they've been seeing me regularly for Fiesta, C-Max, and RS work over the last two years. I'm calm, polite, and much as you may not believe this, to the point about what I want and expect. They're just acting in the way that anyone would hope a car dealership should.

Off-topic somewhat but I must say your videos are good. I remember when you first started making them and some mocked, but actually it seems you have built quite a following already, 2.7k subs isn't bad! Your videos have a niche in some ways and you are clearly getting better each video. Keep it up!

And btw, don't spend your money on a new Honda. Buy a 10 year old Subaru/Evo for half the price and have twice the fun.

It's just crept over 2.9k! It seems my two videos are now the go-to place for people to a) discuss the engine failures and b) slag Ford off. Definite multiple trackdays next year if I can keep this momentum going. My earnings on Monday alone nudged £30 and the views have built up a fair bit since then LOL

I was thinking about the engine out work this morning. I can only imagine the damage they’ll do to the paintwork in the process. Not the sort of thing you’d want on a new car. I’d be amazed if it comes back without chips, scratches and dings etc. I hope the OP has taken photos etc.

I was bricking it when I had my windscreen replaced let alone an engine lol.

Taken photos? I have multiple angle 4k video footage of it sat outside their dealership as I dropped it off!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Why would it have damaged paint work when a main dealer does an engine swap???

Its a car not the Mona Lisa!

Most main dealer mechanics won’t give a f**k. Just like most windscreen replacement guys they don’t take much care.

Mechanics work to a stopwatch, they don’t get bonuses for due care and attention.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Most main dealer mechanics won’t give a f**k. Just like most windscreen replacement guys they don’t take much care.

Mechanics work to a stopwatch, they don’t get bonuses for due care and attention.
But they get massive grief from their boss when a customer complains and it costs them money to rectify.

They have got a certain amount of skill and by the sounds of it they’re doing 15 engines a week so probably are s**t hot! Lol

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Have you ever removed an engine?
As it happens I have! Not alone, but it was just me and my cousin. Did an M3 engine swap (from another M3).

If it was a customer's (less than a year old) car of course the mechanic would take care. It'll be their arse if they cause any damage.

And I imagine a trained mechanic would have a better idea of what they're doing than me!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Engine will come out the bottom, ford aren’t a back street garage with an engine crane ffs

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
My best mate is a master tech and has worked at numerous dealerships. He’s now got his own garage but some of the horror stories he’s told me about work that goes on at dealers will make your toes curl.

What do you expect though when most employ apprentices on close to minimum wage. Even the more qualified mechanics earn poor wages at main dealers. Most will spend their days changing oil and replacing filters.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Oh and I know this is an issue for the MK3 but there is a little history with ford performance engine problems in general.

The mk2 ST and RS engines that needed block mods due to cracked liners/ blocks, they didn’t fail as such but they did loose a lot of power because of it.

Also the Mk2 RS had major issues with inlets failing and causing damage to the bonnet when they explode lol.

I did a bit of thinking over the RS situation last night and if it’s worth keeping etc.

Looking at the history of the RS badge, all the turbo ones had major issues that ford fixed after about 2 years.

They all now retain good money so I’m pretty happy just to keep going with it as I can’t find anything that does the same job as the Mk3 RS without it being too expensive for a Hatch.

Evo 5 RS
Yeah, exactly. It could be the worst car ever made (which it's not by any means for the record) and it will only help with it's heritage. Some of the values on prestige MK1s are pretty comical unless you're a monocle wearing middle aged collector with far too much disposable income. As long as the engine is healthy come time to sell and the car is in good condition, nobody is going to bat an eye lid.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and I know this is an issue for the MK3 but there is a little history with ford performance engine problems in general.

The mk2 ST and RS engines that needed block mods due to cracked liners/ blocks, they didn’t fail as such but they did loose a lot of power because of it.

Also the Mk2 RS had major issues with inlets failing and causing damage to the bonnet when they explode lol.

I did a bit of thinking over the RS situation last night and if it’s worth keeping etc.

Looking at the history of the RS badge, all the turbo ones had major issues that ford fixed after about 2 years.

They all now retain good money so I’m pretty happy just to keep going with it as I can’t find anything that does the same job as the Mk3 RS without it being too expensive for a Hatch.
You only need the block mod when modified so that's completely irrelevant imo? @McGherkin will confirm. He's 350ish iirc with no issues.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
You only need the block mod when modified so that's completely irrelevant imo? @McGherkin will confirm. He's 350ish iirc with no issues.

Lad that comes out with me has the block mode because his broke down and lost power, same a few others.

It’s irrelevant about modifying because the block still failed anyway.

Evo 5 RS
It's heat that kills them. So similar story as to here in that it depends on the type of use. Running more power obviously instigates the problem, doesn't mean it's not there to begin with.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair to Ford, the 2.5 lump in the RS and ST which quite often needs the block mod is a Volvo engine and very little to do with them in terms of the core design. The mistake seems to have been to up the power when they decided to make it the new "T5" engine because they couldn't make the 2.3 litre 5 pot T5 meet the emissions standards without lots of work. Cylinder walls are just too thin.

RX7 FD
There are a few theories about the 2.5, I had my old one done as a preventative measure when I had the belts done. But I think one of the things Ford did do is put a cooling channel between the cylinders whereas the 2.3 T5 doesn't have this channel. Which when you block mod and drop the shims into the channels it seems to stop the expansion and contraction which causes the cracked liner issues.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
316 at the moment. The block modding thing is all rather shady TBH, a lot of traders making money out of the owners’ hysteria.

I’d shim it if I was going for a bigger turbo for peace of mind, but in America people run 24-27psi on K16s with no shims. I think it’s partly abuse, partly bad mapping, and partly a few early ones with factory defects which failed on stock power.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Some of them do seem to go just fine with a lot of power and the right map, been a while since I was a Volvo beard so I'm probably a bit out of touch ;)