ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS Monaco Clio surprise (Renault Clio R.S.16)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I was just about to write exactly this...he makes very very valid points.

Archaic inefficient engine, heavier than the 1.6 it replaces in what was an already overweight hatchback body, but yeah, cor, 'smazin'.

LOL Renault are almost as good as Apple as whipping up the froth and hype!

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
I think the car is going to be a proper weapon if they release it for general sale.
Limited run of 250 if they do produce some. Which will in 10-15 years time be a future classic and after a few die off being either crashed, stolen or sold and never seen again will be a very sort after car to get hold of.

Yeah there maybe better hatches out there and it probarbly does not warrant the price tag.
But I would say if you are lucky to get one and keep it mint you would prob make some money on it.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I think the car is going to be a proper weapon if they release it for general sale.
Limited run of 250 if they do produce some. Which will in 10-15 years time be a future classic and after a few die off being either crashed, stolen or sold and never seen again will be a very sort after car to get hold of.

Yeah there maybe better hatches out there and it probarbly does not warrant the price tag.
But I would say if you are lucky to get one and keep it mint you would prob make some money on it.

Agreed 100%. Sadly though it is just a marketing exercise.

It's not at all giving us what we want from Renault though, is it?

A hatchback available to all that feels alive and delivers engagement and thrills at a palatable price.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Bit of a pisser if it does go into production with 2 seats! Was hoping for something the whole family can enjoy! (Part of the reason I've never got an R26.R)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I was just about to write exactly this...he makes very very valid points.

Archaic inefficient engine, heavier than the 1.6 it replaces in what was an already overweight hatchback body, but yeah, cor, 'smazin'.

LOL Renault are almost as good as Apple as whipping up the froth and hype!
He's talking nonsense imo. Isn't the edc lighter than the 200 it replaced by 40kg? Weight wasn't the problem. The problem is the engine isn't modern or efficient, is outclassed by the 1.6 in the Fiesta. Yes the 2l will add some weight, but I'd assume the manual will be lighter than that God awful dual clutch box?

It sounds like great fun. But it's laughable at 40k (if that's accurate).

Clio 182
Haven't read the whole thread. But it's suppose to be priced at around £34,000.

As good as it will probably be, and as much as I love the RS cars. That's A LOT of money for a Renault Clio.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Haven't read the whole thread. But it's suppose to be priced at around £34,000.

As good as it will probably be, and as much as I love the RS cars. That's A LOT of money for a Renault Clio.

Indeed it is a lot of cash but then again so is 20k for a stripped out 7 year old Megane with plastic Windows & 30k for a 12 year old with the engine in the wrong place.

Let's not even mention the 50-70k it's gonna cost you to get into turbo2 ownership!

Didn't I see a 182 trophy for sale for £15k recently.

These cars are worth what people are willing to pay for them, which is evidently quite alot.

Clio 182
Things like the v6 are being seen as collectors cars. They're pretty much non existent.

Very few people who want a current production Clio (if it goes into production) are going to have 40k to spend on it. And very few people that have 40k to spend on a car, are going to spend it on a Renault Clio.

Like I said, as good as it will probably be. The price is extortionate.

It's the same price as both the Audi RS3 and Merc A45 AMG, which have 100 more bhp and 10k more expensive than Golf R.

Last edited:

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Indeed it is a lot of cash but then again so is 20k for a stripped out 7 year old Megane with plastic Windows & 30k for a 12 year old with the engine in the wrong place.

Let's not even mention the 50-70k it's gonna cost you to get into turbo2 ownership!

Didn't I see a 182 trophy for sale for £15k recently.

These cars are worth what people are willing to pay for them, which is evidently quite alot.

I would even dare to say Turbo2 ownership to be a bit more then that. Seen a few lately around the 80-90k mark.

Special Renaultsports always keep a good chunk of money.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Things like the v6 are being seen as collectors cars. They're pretty much non existent.

Very few people who want a current production Clio (if it goes into production) are going to have 40k to spend on it. And very few people that have 40k to spend on a car, are going to spend it on a Renault Clio.

Like I said, as good as it will probably be. The price is extortionate.

Agreed but if they only make 250 of these with a handful coming to the UK then they will sell easily becoming a collectable in the process.

I have absolutely no interest in the Audi A1 or S1 however would I spend 35k on an A1 Quattro Sport....... Damn right I would!

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
I think people forget this is not just another " special edition " like we have been used to the last few years.
220 trophy is really just some tweeks here and there.
Same as the Trophy R some tweeks and removal of weight.
And so was the R26R.

This is something more like the V6.
A very tough technical exercise to see what they could do with the bits they have in their parts bin.
Most parts that were never intended to be fitted to the Clio 200 EDC shell.
With that also comes the solving of problems that come along with it.

So IF they do go on to sell a few hundred you will end up owning something very special indeed.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
What I wouldn't give to have this lot in my collection!

694711c789b04bc019cdea42b1e45eb7.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
He's talking nonsense imo. Isn't the edc lighter than the 200 it replaced by 40kg? Weight wasn't the problem. The problem is the engine isn't modern or efficient, is outclassed by the 1.6 in the Fiesta. Yes the 2l will add some weight, but I'd assume the manual will be lighter than that God awful dual clutch box?

It sounds like great fun. But it's laughable at 40k (if that's accurate).

THIS, 1200kg for a modern hot hatch is pretty light weight, 90kg more than a 182!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
What you want from Renault then ?
2ltr NA hot hatch, Manual gearbox and 3 doors ?

Tbh...
A car that isn't limited to 250 or whatever that most of us will never have the privilege to drive let alone even see one!!
From what I read somewhere earlier iirc it has a few bits stolen from a Meg 275, Kangoo and Clio 200 to make it all fit. Add a few trinkets like the seats, bodykit etc...

Surely they could put that lot (of lets face it, old kit!) together for less than the price of a Focus RS, Type R, Rolf 7 etc....

If they priced it right then they'd coin it in with this one imo. Say 25k ish for a smaller car as capable as the above but priced better. A bit like the 1*2's in their time...

Instead they'll probably f**k it up by doing the 1st 250 limited editions never to be seen again....

Only for them to bring out a 2 then a 3 much like the Williams and pissing all the 1 owners off in the process lol:confounded:.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Tbh...
A car that isn't limited to 250 or whatever that most of us will never have the privilege to drive let alone even see one!!
From what I read somewhere earlier iirc it has a few bits stolen from a Meg 275, Kangoo and Clio 200 to make it all fit. Add a few trinkets like the seats, bodykit etc...

Surely they could put that lot (of lets face it, old kit!) together for less than the price of a Focus RS, Type R, Rolf 7 etc....

If they priced it right then they'd coin it in with this one imo. Say 25k ish for a smaller car as capable as the above but priced better. A bit like the 1*2's in their time...

Instead they'll probably f**k it up by doing the 1st 250 limited editions never to be seen again....

Only for them to bring out a 2 then a 3 much like the Williams and pissing all the 1 owners off in the process lol:confounded:.
Focus rs is cheap (relatively) because it's a worldwide seller.

172 Cup
My money is that this will make it to production albeit in a limited run.

As people interested enough in Renault to join a forum on them then I think we should all be very excited that in this day in age Renault have been able to green light a project like this. A halo model is great for the whole brand and shows to the world that Renaultsport really does care about people like us.

I don't care what price they release it at as I'm not in the position to buy something like this at the moment. If I was, I would. If it comes in at the rumoured £34k mark then I know a family member will. They will also sell every one of the limited run.

It's a lot of money for a Clio, yes, but it's a special car with a true motorsport connection. Look at the team that have worked on the project. Look at the parts they are using. It's more akin to Porsche GT3 development than a hot hatch.

You cannot compare it to the Golf R or Focus RS. They are both great cars but they are normal production models. Book price is irrelevant, how many of the dozen Golfs you see a day are bought in cash? It's the cheap leases that have flooded the market with that car. Nobody that wants this Clio will be comparing it to them. It's for a completely different market.

Clio 172, Abarth 500
This car just isn't radical enough to justify the hype, imo of course.
Lol really??? 275bhp in a supermini isn't radical... It has Clio cup and rally parts, uprated suspension and subframe to help control it. On top of that its only taken them 5 months to put together!
Other than people doing this in there own garage (and no where near to the same standard), this won't be done again for sometime. These rare mad examples don't come along often. The 5 turbo (not the gt turbo) and V6 has taught us this.

A shiny black one.
Lol really??? 275bhp in a supermini isn't radical... It has Clio cup and rally parts, uprated suspension and subframe to help control it. On top of that its only taken them 5 months to put together!
Other than people doing this in there own garage (and no where near to the same standard), this won't be done again for sometime. These rare mad examples don't come along often. The 5 turbo (not the gt turbo) and V6 has taught us this.
Exactly, it's been done before like you say, maybe not to this standard but not miles away. It's a parts bin special. No doubt making all them bits fit took some skill. The V6 was radical, so far apart from what it was based on, this is a megane squeezed into a Clio. Imo

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
What you want from Renault then ?
2ltr NA hot hatch, Manual gearbox and 3 doors ?

I'd settle for the 1.6T, Manual gearbox and 5 doors personally.

If they nick some of the bodywork parts from this one it'd sell like hotcakes

677B55F2-B06B-41D6-B7B8-EB5AE1AAFE78_zpsdxptte1g.gif

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great, I would love one.
I personally hope it's made in limited numbers, as I think it'll be pretty much depreciation proof (much like the R26.R Megane Trophy R)

Megane r26
Looks great, nice idea and no doubt be impressive I'd imagine with the parts it's littered with it'll be limited run!

Plus how many people are in the market to buy a 30k+ super mini!

Renault struggle to keep up with parts demand on some of there current models so this would be a nightmare lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I'm sure that was the claim but then Evo mag as part of a group road test put all of the contenders on some scales and the 200T was heavier than the Juke Nismo...which is a lard arse.

I'd settle for the 1.6T, Manual gearbox and 5 doors personally.

If they nick some of the bodywork parts from this one it'd sell like hotcakes

677B55F2-B06B-41D6-B7B8-EB5AE1AAFE78_zpsdxptte1g.gif

Exactly! If they'd done this from the beginning I'd most likely have one on my drive now and not an ST.

As for the fact that they pulled this thing together in just five months flat...that's a good thing? That would give me huge concerns if parting with North of £30k for a Clio wasn't concern enough!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
But were not talking about the cooking 200? Talking about a low volume special edition that won't be sold in the US.

But it doesn't have to be a low volume special. That's just up to them.
It's also not that special (relatively) when it only took a team of 10 to knock it up in 5-6 months. As specials go it must come in as one of the quickest and cheapest ever (not including ones that just have a few stickers and a different paint job on them).