ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS Tuner For Diagnostics?

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
How good is the RS Tuner diagnostic capability? I'm assuming somewhere between a generic OBDII reader and a Renault Clip - is that correct?

Any feedback gratefully received. Cheers.

somewhere between a generic OBDII reader and a Renault Clip - is that correct?

Exactly that.

IME diagnostic ability is closer to a generic reader whilst the interface and usability is closer to CLIP.

You can pay for various add-ons like ABS/Airbag module to get info that you'd otherwise have no hope of finding on a generic OBD. And of course being Renault-specific it's likely to interpret fault codes more accurately than a generic reader.

Data logging although limited to the usual items (o2 sensor, vehicle speed, manifold pressure & temp etc) is a bit easier as you can have it all on a decent size screen and export as a CSV to post-process the data if you need to go that far.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure if it helps at all, if you're looking at doing a scan but I use a bluetooth OBDII reader and a program called 'Torque' on my android phone and it works amazingly well.

Can log loads of stuff (Used it to log the voltage drop of the o2 sensor and diagnosed that it was duff) scans faults really accurately (Scanned last week for it to tell me misfiring on cylinder 2) and it was, plug was full of water!

Super cheap alternative as it was only £6 if that's what you're after!

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks both for the replies. So it doesn't actually have any of the additional functionality of the Renault Clip, in terms of Renault specific diagnostics?

Depends what you define as "additional functionality" or "Renault specific." You can't turn the gearshift beep off for example on a mk3 RS for example with an RS tuner, but you can do with Clip. Nor can you reset a "crashed" airbag computer.

It DOES have extra functionality over generic readers & phone apps though. Airbag fault codes/removal, ABS/ESP/TCS faults, long/lat accs are all things that you can't do on a generic reader or phone app. But these are in the form of additional "modules" ontop of the base price.