ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS Tuner, Matched inlets, or sportscat?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
As I have a Phase 1 Clio 172 Y reg for a track toy, Ive decided I can spend a Grand (£1k) ish a year on playing around with it, and where possible include track time of half dozen shows and track days a year

The budget was pretty much blown this year for the belts, dephaser etc etc which came in around £625, the rest went on a couple tyres (AD08r's) track days and track time at shows. (I don't count the cost of hotels, fuel, meals to keep wife happy etc etc) with one a lydden and one at Brands, in addition to Blyton, to go. (I may go a tidge over a Grand ;-)

Bcos the car is year 2001 I am not going mad, and the final things I would like to do before considering anything else, is matched inlets (I have a bored out throttle body which may help), RS Tuner remap, and a sportscat or legal easyflow cat (CBA to keep taking a decat pipe off)

So, what do i do first- am thinking RS Tuner. But I do have a set of matched inlets, which, whilst I can see the smoothing work done to the ports, really cant see than making any noticeable difference to torque as some suggest?

And a sportscat, some say that the phase 2 172 Cat, which I think ive got, was pretty close to minimum amount of Cells you can get away with anywhere

What you think?

dan's cast offs.
matched inlets do actually make a difference, not massive though. for the pissing round with the rs tuner jst get propper map on it.

what cat? twin or later single?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
The phase 1 twin barrel cat was always the one to go for but they are fairly rare as they come in two lengths iirc. Failing that a 182 cat with a manifold to match but probably not worth it in all honesty, a decat does sod all on a mildly modded car really other than creating noise so changing to another cat that flows slightly better isn’t going to make a noticeable difference imo.

Out of those options though I would go for the matched inlets and perhaps a different filter setup depending on what you already have.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
matched inlets do actually make a difference, not massive though. for the pissing round with the rs tuner jst get propper map on it.

what cat? twin or later single?

I have a phase 2 172 cat on it , single pipe
Thought about a proper map, but the engines done just on 100k and with a tuner, if the engine struggles could revert to OEM?

The phase 1 twin barrel cat was always the one to go for but they are fairly rare as they come in two lengths iirc. Failing that a 182 cat with a manifold to match but probably not worth it in all honesty, a decat does sod all on a mildly modded car really other than creating noise so changing to another cat that flows slightly better isn’t going to make a noticeable difference imo.

Out of those options though I would go for the matched inlets and perhaps a different filter setup depending on what you already have.

Have a RAMair filter, S pipe 76mm hose to throttle body.
bring the suspension back to as new mate, shocks, bushes etc...

Coilovers or shocks n new springs not a bad idea, but it does need more torque. Throttle not as reactive as I would like it to be, takes a split second sometime, and there are a couple flatspots- lots noise but no speed increase