ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS2 Clio at combe (including pete and an R26)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Video of me driving the mrs RS2+197 cams daily driver clio at combe, suspension is cup arms + shocks and cooksport front springs with eibach rear, best lap time looks to be a 1:26 on this video, which was done with the aircon on and with a passenger and while just following the R26 at a distance rather than really trying very hard to pass it so not quite representative of what the clio could do in the hands of someone more committed than myself but still good fun.

Our clio seemed to be a pretty good match for the R26 on the straights and a little quicker through the bends so even without needing to try too hard he slowly got reeled in during the few laps we were behind him after he passed us as we were joining from the pitlane.

Pete makes an appearance at about 3:30 in his ph1 with the circles on it too.

Last outing for this car, as we are now reshelling it into the (much tidier) RB182 shell we have bought, but we are keeping the spec almost identical as we are both so happy with how it drives on road and on track.

Epic little all rounder its been :)

Last edited by a moderator:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I know you say you are not really trying but to me it looks like the R26 pulls nicely away on the straights?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I know you say you are not really trying but to me it looks like the R26 pulls nicely away on the straights?

I was foot to the floor on the straights, so was trying at those points, I just meant I was being conservative with the brakes and not absolutely on the limit on the bends taking risks etc, he was pulling initially coming out of corners from having more torque, but over the length of the bigger straights there seemed to be very little in it.

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
Im also a bit old for the chavvy wheelbarrow look exhaust.

Yup, you're the king of subtle exhausts ;)

DSC_0535.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yup, you're the king of subtle exhausts ;)

DSC_0535.jpg

TBH, thats pretty much the plainest possible exhaust exit you can get away with on a 600bhp engine, a single 3" tailpipe that is just literally a pipe with no fancy "inwardly rolled" this that or the other, so I think your point there fails.

If 600bhp is fine in one 3" pipe, then under 200bhp doesnt 2 of the same, lol.

PB Clio 172
I agree there I love RB and LY but they are both 'girly' type colours. Love seeing them not sure I would own one though

Never been a fan of the 182 exhaust, like above I like it just the 172 stelth suits me more!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I agree there I love RB and LY but they are both 'girly' type colours. Love seeing them not sure I would own one though

Never been a fan of the 182 exhaust, like above I like it just the 172 stelth suits me more!

Yeah they are quite girly colours, I dont see it as a problem for a trackday car where sometimes its nice to have something that stands out a bit more in pictures etc, but would feel out of place driving it daily.

I wanted to get someone to spray a 172 bumper RB and fit it with a stealth exhaust but Les was having none of it, and TBH the RS192 we have on it now is such a nice bit of kit in terms of noise while still flowing well that at least that was one good thing to come out of the swap, having no wheel well gives a lot more space for silencers!

Perhaps I've missed something, but I can't see where you get any closer to the R26? Looks fast, no doubt, but unsure on the R26 comparison.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Perhaps I've missed something, but I can't see where you get any closer to the R26? Looks fast, no doubt, but unsure on the R26 comparison.

Look at 31 seconds in when he enters the chicane how far back I am, and then look again at 4 minutes in when he enters the same chicane and im right with him.
Its only a second or two a lap, not a huge margin, but he was definately slower over a full lap than I was as demonstrated by the gap slowly closing up lap by lap.

Look at 31 seconds in when he enters the chicane how far back I am, and then look again at 4 minutes in when he enters the same chicane and im right with him.
Its only a second or two a lap, not a huge margin, but he was definately slower over a full lap than I was as demonstrated by the gap slowly closing up lap by lap.

Yep, fair point. Think I was expecting a little more in a shorter period of time! Must watch full vid...!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yep, fair point. Think I was expecting a little more in a shorter period of time! Must watch full vid...!

Lol, no mate, was a very close match, I had the edge but only just, and TBH I was probably on better tyres, take that away and I doubt that there would be anything in it at all. (other than my fuel economy being loads better, FLOL)

Cheers Chip nice shot of me being passed there. For a shakedown run I thought my car handled well and the more time I spent on track the harder I pushed it. Look forward to seeing the RB when it's done.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheers Chip nice shot of me being passed there. For a shakedown run I thought my car handled well and the more time I spent on track the harder I pushed it. Look forward to seeing the RB when it's done.

You looked like you were having fun on the day mate :)

glad to hear the shakedown went well, and means you have a baseline to work from to get quicker now too.

PB Clio 172
yeah the RS192 is a lovely exhaust, Arron on here had it on his RB who came to the Exeter meet and its a lovely sounding exhaust. not too loud just a purr, great sound! Also scorpion have been doing top exhaust of yonks. Even in my R5 Turbo days..... and that was a while ago

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Tbf regarding the R26 surely its all down to drivers anyway? Put me in an r26 and Tony in a standard 172 and he'd still be faster lol.