ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS2 vs ITB's

Hopefully not gonna open a jar of worms here
So gonna say in advance if you haven't got anything constructive to say than please walk away from the keyboard

So I already own the ITB's, ZX12R kit from DanST
They're still sat in the box I had them in & I guess I'm getting cold feet now

I've always admired the engineering of the RS2 & wanted some extra info on it
Does it run off the OE ECU/loom & are there any extra sensors required?

I've read numerous old threads on here (which are locked so hence starting a new thread) with the numbers they produce and I'm satisfied with that

I've recently had 197 cams fitted in my engine & I see that the RS2 is meant to work well with them

So I guess I'm asking what would you do in my situation?

Car is a ph1 172 which I would like to use on weekends and enter into show & shine and maybe track but I have no driving track experience (this is a statement not a target for a dig)

Thanks in advance
#BeKind & that

monaco 172
From what I remember the rs2 will run with a mapped OEM ECU.

The bodies will require aftermarket management due to the map sensor required on the OEM ECU.

172 Turbo
Go through the old threads on here and read some of the disappointment with the RS2. I didn't rate the one I drove. It's an awful lot of money to put into a car for not much return, go boost.

Go through the old threads on here and read some of the disappointment with the RS2. I didn't rate the one I drove. It's an awful lot of money to put into a car for not much return, go boost.

Maybe in the future, not feeling turbo at all
Following a Rotex build on here currently but won't be pursuing that for a number of years if all goes well
Wanna keep NA for now & hopefully reliable altho the car isn't my daily so isn't under that pressure

Plus on the point of cost, I will sell the bodies etc & cover the cost so it's not a concern

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I've no experience of either apart from hearing some bodies clios on track. I'd say go with what you already have rather than piss about flogging it and trying to buy an RS2. The end result will be similar no?

monaco 172
Some of the threads I read im sure that 197 cammed cars with the special timing were performing just as good as rs2'd ones.

I'd stick with your bodies as you already have the management anyway and they will offer more potential.

Not that much more, as it seems even bodied cars don't make great numbers anyway. That's why I flogged my Clio as NA tuning them is like pissing in the wind really

Some of the threads I read im sure that 197 cammed cars with the special timing were performing just as good as rs2'd ones.

I'd stick with your bodies as you already have the management anyway and they will offer more potential.

Not that much more, as it seems even bodied cars don't make great numbers anyway. That's why I flogged my Clio as NA tuning them is like pissing in the wind really

Yeah not chasing numbers to be honest, more about the experience & don't wanna be spending on it much more so I guess my ultimatum's are driving experience/excitement & reliability

monaco 172
Yeah not chasing numbers to be honest, more about the experience & don't wanna be spending on it much more so I guess my ultimatum's are driving experience/excitement & reliability
Why not flog the lot and just get it mapped with the 197 cams? You might be pleasantly surprised. And itl be far more reliable than some bodies originally designed for a bike I would have thought.

I planned to do the same but just couldn't justify the costs as the car was only worth a grand or so anyway lol.

Why not flog the lot and just get it mapped with the 197 cams? You might be pleasantly surprised. And itl be far more reliable than some bodies originally designed for a bike I would have thought.

I planned to do the same but just couldn't justify the costs as the car was only worth a grand or so anyway lol.

Ah I'm a bit more attached to mine lol so it's worth more to me than monetary value

Yeah tbh driving with the cams pre map was a pleasant surprise!
I guess another thing for me, as I'm entering show & shines at car shows then I'd like an eye catching engine bay
And right know my OE inlet really does not cut it
So yeah aesthetics too

And the plot thickens..

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I'm an RS2 fan, bought mine second hand. Bolts straight on, no additional mods, run stock radiator etc and original wiring, sensors and ecu.

I fitted 197 cam, 8 degree inlet advance, 182 exhaust manifold and 197 injectors. Everything else stock.

Made 212bhp and 160lbft but from much lower down so very drive able.

It runs lamdas mapped out but still cold starts, runs and idles like a stock car

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Looks the part too imo

20200216_164506.jpg

20200216_164502.jpg

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Loved my RS2 inlet aswell. Sounded really good especially with GrpN timing. Nice a torque curve with the inlet.

C5A1A5BD-4B26-4266-8DD4-6AD8429A2D30.jpeg
C39D48E9-E170-450A-9E6E-A062B234A757.jpeg

I’m moving Over to ITBs tho 😂
missing the simplicity of the RS2

36D4680A-EB8A-4699-8635-1AADDFA6F252.jpeg

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Had jenveys on my cup, 438cams, gen 90 ecu but only made 200bhp.

Look good, sound good, but they’re not that fast.

Saying that, even boosted clios get their arses handed to them by mapped diesels now so they’re more about the handling and feel rather than straight line performance now.

That kind of begs the question of why bother spending all that money chasing 20 - 30bhp.

Get the car set up properly and enjoy it for what it is.

jeepers, I’ve turned into a miserable old b*****d.

A37350B1-D6B2-4AD8-9ABE-C0B60B6E6B5D.jpeg
17965CD0-1D76-488C-9C4E-EF88E8F5CDF7.jpeg

If it’s a show car, bolt the biggest turbo you can find to it and watch the crowds pour in.

Failing that, leave it as is and enjoy it. [emoji846]

It’s still my weekend toy so I still wanna enjoy it lol plus I find the turboed engine bays just look like pipes
I prefer the look & drive of an NA so that’s what I’m sticking with and still in the dilemma
Altho probs just stick with the ITBs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
It’s still my weekend toy so I still wanna enjoy it lol plus I find the turboed engine bays just look like pipes
I prefer the look & drive of an NA so that’s what I’m sticking with and still in the dilemma
Altho probs just stick with the ITBs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with normally aspirated. I think we have gotten used to turbo engines and the easy increases, so a bit of perspective has been lost. Ultimately, if you can afford it, do what makes you happy.

If you've got all the throttle body parts and it's ready to go, I would probably just go for that. Selling it all and then finding an RS2 is probably going to be a bit of a pain. You've got the bits, so get to it (y)

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
I have an original rs2 (not copy) that I took off to put on Jenvey ITBs. It is a straight swapover just bolt on the factory throttle body.

If anyone is interested in it just private message me and we can discuss a sale price.

It does sound awesome.

Sent from my CPH1611 using Tapatalk

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
Had different head and cams so no direct comparison. The rs2 gives a very flat torque curve through the rev range and as a personal opinion gives a better induction sound than the it's. I think it is the carbon fibre that allows for such a good sound.

Sent from my CPH1611 using Tapatalk

Last edited: