ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS200 on 5th Gear...oh dear

Mito Sportiva 135
Just catching up on 5th Gear with the hot hatch shoot out and the new 200 did TERRIBLY! Very disappointing such a great line of cars has become this electronic, fussy mess of a car.

RS6 C7
I think it was daft to rule it out in the way they did, The tests were stupid and not really things you would ever do.

On track I'm sure it would be decent.

baysthebest

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172/172Cup/182
Unfortunately seems like Ford have got the car that everyone wants at the price everyone wants! The majority of people arent ready for an auto!

RB Clio 182
Imo the 200 looks the best out of the three, its the auto box that would stop me from buying one, i love changing gear with a gear stick too much, are people this lazy they cant be arsed to move their hand 6 inch to change gear?

A hot hatch for me should be involving, not putting your foot down and steering!

Mito Sportiva 135
I loved my old 172 due to it's no nonsense, straight forward looks and abilities. Fun to drive, simple to maintain. A car to be proud of in front of your mates.

The new 200T looks too fussy, too complex and all the electronic settings are obviously not right.

I do fear for Renault - I used to work for Renault UK in marketing and left as the company's 'strategy' was sooo reactive it was untrue. Their models just aren't good enough at the moment and for some reason want to position themselves as a premium brand!?? I literally laughed when that idea was banded around, as the general public obviously knows them as a quirky mass manufacturer of good value hatches and family cars.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Not sure about that, their other non sport models seem to be selling well,
i've seen sh*t loads of them on the roads.

Could just be that I spot them more than others.

Swift Sport
Awful review, they're trying to copy Topgear and failing! Not that I like Topgear either! They make Chris Harris look like Patrick Moore!

The 200T looks good IMO, but I agree that I wouldn't want a flappy paddle gearbox. I wouldn't buy one, especially when I could have the ST for less.

Swift Sport
Not sure about that, their other non sport models seem to be selling well,
i've seen sh*t loads of them on the roads.

Could just be that I spot them more than others.

Agreed. If you look around there are sh1tloads of new shape Meganes about. I think it's just the Sport division that's going to suffer.

I'm not saying it will happen, just that I wouldn't be surprised. They might be selling cars in the UK, but how much profit? They've already cut half their model lineup on UK shores. Dealerships are imploding. I don't even know where my nearest is.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Peugeot 208 GTI, looks like watered down Fiesta ST.

New_Peugeot_208_GTi.jpg

Peugeot_208_GTi_Concept-L.jpg

I was referring to the 208 looking like a Fiesta. In the same way apparently a Megane looks like an Astra - the only thing they have in common is four wheels.

275 Trophy
I'm not saying it will happen, just that I wouldn't be surprised. They might be selling cars in the UK, but how much profit? They've already cut half their model lineup on UK shores. Dealerships are imploding. I don't even know where my nearest is.

I agree. I recently had cause to complain to RenUK customer services about the dealer service I received, and I told the lady I thought they were in danger of going the same way as SAAB, Rover or Lancia (in UK).

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Whatever daft tests top gear or 5th gear come up with they are designed to be a bit of fun.Also if the clio had anything about it,it would have stood out a mile.The fiesta has the market grab atm for me...

Absolute ridiculous fifth gear test as usual. Tiff Needell has not aged well at all and he gets on my tits whenever he speaks. He should have just set off in the Clio rather than arse around with the settings trying to be a funny f**ker when he just isnt.

And I've been out in my mates new fiesta st over the last few weeks and it's nothing special (other than the seats). If the Clio was a manual with recaros and a slightly beefier look to the outside it would be a winner. There's a lot of standard new clios driving about locally as well as meganes, so the drivvle about them pulling out of the UK is a load of tosh

Last edited:
  An orange one
If the Clio was a manual with recaros and a slightly beefier look to the outside it would be a winner.

You mean like the outgoing 200 was, they have taken a great car and balls'd it up

Having said that... Even after all these years 197 > 200. But that's a different argument haha

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I still think the Peugeot looks the best of them all, but unfortunately it's not getting the best reviews compared to the Fiesta (which is growing on me slightly)

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
And I've been out in my mates new fiesta st over the last few weeks and it's nothing special (other than the seats).

Well, almost every person will disagree with you there. Certainly in comparison to the rest of the market segment.

Clio sport 172 MK 2
I bought a Clio 172 back in 2004 and I loved it. At that time I was looking for a pure performance hot hatch and that's exactly what I got. I bought a Golf GTI DSG in 2008 because I'd gotten married and had a couple of kids. I have to say, as much as I thought I'd miss a manual transmission I don't. I love a flappy paddle transmission now and don't ever fancy going back to a manual. I'd held off upgrading my current car because I wanted my next car to have the same. Up until now my only option was another Golf , but the new Golf GTI is just too much of the same for too much money. For me, I think the new Clio sport is spot on ! Now that Im in my 40's with a young family I'm looking for a good little car with loads of features that's performance orientated and I don't think there's too many that offers you 5 doors, a flappy paddle gearbox and sat nav as standard for way less money than a Golf GTI, at least not in Australia there isnt. As far as the look of the car, obviously opinions on looks are subjective but I really like the way the new car looks. I think it's evolved nicely. In fact , I'm sure the more you see them on the road the more they'll grow on you. Just on a side note, I think the Fiesta looks like a bit of a girls car : )
I know I'm only one segment of the market, but in time Im sure Renault will release limited edition models to suit the hard core fans.

Just felt I had to have a bit of a rant as I think the Renault really has been unfairly sledged since it's release, especially by dickhead reviews like the one on fifth gear!

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
why does everyone rage on about fiesta st's seen a few I think there road presence is poor looks similar to the normal ones unless you get up close. saw a 200t down my road in liquid yellow and stopped to look at it, I thought it was beautiful!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
why does everyone rage on about fiesta st's seen a few I think there road presence is poor looks similar to the normal ones unless you get up close. saw a 200t down my road in liquid yellow and stopped to look at it, I thought it was beautiful!

Beautiful, but no less similar to the basic Clios than the ST is to the lower spec Fiestas, no? The only things externally that mark any of them out over lesser siblings are wheels, calipers, exhausts and bumpers.

Unless there's some other appendage on the Clio I've missed?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member

That's fair enough mate it's personal choice,
i've seen both up close and even sat in a 200T, other than the comfortable seats it didn't interest me in the slightest,
the ST on the other hand made me want to jump in it and go for a blast
and that was just from looking at one from the outside.

182 Trophy
Renaultsport have been ahead of the competition for years now, let's trust them on this one, wait til
A few extra cup packed bits and bobs come out and watch it trounce the opposition as usual. First meggy 225 was soft and not that quick.... Went on to break nurburgring lap record 4years later. First 197 non cup was the same, then the cup and f1 came out and.....
clio 200, everyone hated it at first, now most love it....

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Will have to watch this later. But surely it's saying something when more people on here own ST'S than the new 200T?

If Renault can't even get the cash out of their biggest fan boys then they're struggling.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Will have to watch this later. But surely it's saying something when more people on here own ST'S than the new 200T?

If Renault can't even get the cash out of their biggest fan boys then they're struggling.

people can get hold of STs?