ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RT to RSI engine conversion

mk1 ph2 1.4
Does anyone have a link to a detailed and preferably photographed step by step engine conversion thread on here or another forum or anywhre on the web???
(on an RT!)
And if anyone on here has done this themselves what is a list of all the parts needed? Im just talking under the bonnet, not things like uprated brakes.

Finally does anyone have the parts for sale? I would need some decent proof that theyre all in good working order though.

thanks peeps

mk1 ph2 1.4
lol or nearest offer :D

no seriously anything helpful is great!

its just if i said, how do you slap an rsi engine in an rt id get a load of contrasting opinions of wahts needed and whats not and people saying no, get a willy engine, theres no point and so on...

so has anyone put an RSI engine in an RT?

K20 eg 217 whp.
was looking into this, i dont think it that much work i was quoted £300 for one fitted

still unsure at the moment might save a bi more and get a valver

S2000
pretty straightforward. I'm not totally sure of the list but you can re-use the gearbox, driveshafts, dogbone mount, gearbox mount and the exhaust from the cat-back iirc. I'm not sure about the drivers side engine mount. I would imagine you would need to replace the fuel pump and radiator but not 100% sure. You will also obviously need the RSi ECU and loom.

Try searching as this has been covered loads of times. Also try searching over on www.retro-renault.com in the archive bit from the old forum as I had a thread over there with all the details needed when I was considering that conversion.

mk1 ph2 1.4
I think I have someone to fit it for £100, a mate of a mate lol, im mainly interested in what is needed apart from the engine.
I heard you can use the same driveshaft and gearbox etc but they wont last very long?? I really need someone who has done the conversion so they can say what needs doing...

you mean save a bit more and get a valver engine?
Id rather get an RSi engine becasue I hear its got better low down torque and is actually faster off the line and theres not much in it after.
Plus i dont want to get the bonent, I want to keep it looking standard.

mk1 ph2 1.4
okay thanks donsrno1 (sorry mate dont know your name!) i'll have a look on retrorenault

so a definite so far is engine, ECU and loom
i heard before the radiator needs changing also

S2000
If you were going for a valver engine you woulnd't necesarily need to change the bonnet, there is enough room under the standard bonnet, though you may need to make a few small changes to the inside of the bonnet. If you were going to go for a valver you would be as well getting a williams engine imo.

As for the box and shafts, I would expect them to last pretty much as long as the standard RSi item. At least with the box that is definately the case, not quite so sure about the shafts.

mk1 ph2 1.4
im going to stick with an rsi lump, less stress on all the components i do leave and much cheaper than a 16v or willy conversion!

thanks again

can anyone else help out with confirming what needs changing?

500bhp Scoob
You'll need engine (obviously) loom, ecu, gearbox, coolant pipes, so that you can connect it all up correctly, rsi radiator as its different to the 1.4 rt one, and the drivers side engine mount.

1.4 driveshafts are fine, they can take the power no problem, i'd change the gearbox thou, it'll be more suited for the increase in power, so the engine won't be screaming.

That should be about it

mk1 ph2 1.4
Ok thanks, great help.
So were talking:

engine,
loom,
ECU,
radiator,
cooling pipes,
drivers side engine mount,
gearbox - recommended

probably best to sort out a donor car in that case, and I can make sure everythings running correctly.

If anyone has a cheap RSI that drives and is just rusted to s**t say, or has a broken clutch etc etc let me know!

Also if anyone has anything else to add to the list please let me know