ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rumbling noise - gearbox or wheelbearing

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Since sunday i have noticed a strange rumbling noise coming from what seems the passenger side front of my 16V. Not sure if it is the wheel bearing, which is fair enogh, but dosent get louder when i go round a corner.

On the other hand i have been told it good be the gearbox bearing/s - what the hell does this involve doing if it is?

Has anyone else had this problem?

If this is the problem and the gearbox bearing does need replacing, what other parts would i be wise to change at the same time? And what am i looking at cost wise?

Hope someone can help cos it sound bloody expensive to me!!!!

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

Does the noise go away if you put the clutch in (free wheel)? If so, then its probably gearbox related, if not then id say theres a good chance its a wheel bearing!

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

No - its there all the time...but dont the cogs and bearing move when the engine is running anyhow? - maybe i should try with the engine of and freewheel...see if it still is noisy then..

When my wheel bearing was on its way out, it only made a rumbling when turning the wheel very slightly and going along...

Daz.

If its a near-side wheel bearing then it will go away when you steer to the near-side (left). Thats becuase the off-side wheel bearing takes the load during left-hand cornering. If that is the case and if it stays, or gets worse, during right-hand cornering, then its probably the near-side wheel bearing.

If its not this, then it could be transmission. A stuffed diff will make your car shake like crazy over about 2500rpm - I cant remember for sure if it stays when you put the clutch in, but youd be shaking a lot if it was a diff.

Otherwise, it could be that you need more oil in the gbox - it should continue to whine a bit even when out of gear.

If you get clicking on full lock then it could be a CV joint on either side.

Id take it to a transmission speciliast - theyd have more expertise than a normal garage, but still the know-how even if it was just a bearing.

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Thats a point - i got told that i would need to top up the transmission every now and again....as the box was leeking from underneath a little, from that plastic tray underneath the box....could that be it? I will try this also