ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Run flat Tyres?

White clique
Hi All,

My car comes with run flat Potenzas as standard, and the backs will need replacing in a few weeks. Having had 1 replaced previously when the puncture light came on (actually i think i was stitched up then), I recall the direct replacement was £242! I went on Black Circles today and couldnt find my tyre at all, and they recommend not using run flats, or a much cheaper alternative brand (about £120).

I have seen other members here say standard tyres are much better for handling which is fine, but given that my car (BMW) has a system geared up to monitor tyre pressures etc, i wasnt sure if non run flats are going to keep messing with the sensors and wind me up.

So has anyone else replaced RF for standard and noticed any real difference, either good or bad, and any issues with the puncture warning system if you dont use recommended runflats?

thanks, alan

Clio 172 Cup
The Mini has run flats on as standard to, we recently swapped the front RF's with normal tyres and all has been fine so far. No false alerts. We are thinking about swapping the rears to because the ride can be harsh and skittish at times.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I know plenty that have swapped on new gen bmw's. Nonhassle with pressure sensors, and it'll transform the ride. 1st thing I'd do with any car running runflats tbh, horrible things. There's a reason the m division refused to use them!

White clique
Brilliant thanks guys, i'm just planning to do rears for now as they are wearing down - would you recommend doing all 4 so the weights on the corners are the same (the runflats weight a tonnes so i am told) or is this a moot point?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Are some tyre places not a bit funny when it comes to swapping. I'm sure someone on here posted that they went to get the run flats replaced with regular rubber and the tyre place refused.

Clio 172 Cup
You will notice a massive improvement in ride comfort and handling on standard tyres. The very reason am going to change the rears on the Mini.

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
I have fitted normal tyres to a z4 and it was fine, just re programmed the light afterwards.

White clique
I have fitted normal tyres to a z4 and it was fine, just re programmed the light afterwards.

interesting, so you had to do the reset button proceedure afterwards you mean, or BMW had to switch a dash light off?

In any case i think i am swaying towards standard then, i am a sucker for complete standard kit but at more than double price and almost £300 extra for a pair, i could get luxury breakdown cover for that (plus change) in the event of a flatty and get someone out to sort it!

Dodgy one
Are some tyre places not a bit funny when it comes to swapping. I'm sure someone on here posted that they went to get the run flats replaced with regular rubber and the tyre place refused.

Yup need to be specially trained to do them i had a shot after our tyre fitter refused.

WHAt a c**t they're so f**king tight even with a lot of lube

Clio 172 Cup
Yup need to be specially trained to do them i had a shot after our tyre fitter refused.

WHAt a c**t they're so f**king tight even with a lot of lube

Think he means funny swapping RF's for normal road tyres, not putting RF's onto the wheel.

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
interesting, so you had to do the reset button proceedure afterwards you mean, or BMW had to switch a dash light off?

In any case i think i am swaying towards standard then, i am a sucker for complete standard kit but at more than double price and almost £300 extra for a pair, i could get luxury breakdown cover for that (plus change) in the event of a flatty and get someone out to sort it!

Reprogrammed using the owners mannual mate

260% JCW
One quick fit place refused to change ours for non run flats, tryed to give me all the crap about a non run flat tyre on a run flat rim and how it would invalidate the insurance.

Funny thing though, we've told the insurance company and the premium has'nt changed +The car feels 100% better. Best mod IMO.

White clique
cheers everyone, done some google reading on these tyres, and everyone seems to be slating them, so its a given that i will not replace like for like i think. There was a review on the Evo mag website where they say it took 2 tyre fitters a whole day each to get a tyre off the rim!?!

I'm torn as to whether to change all 4 now, just the rears need doing at the mo.

White clique
I finally got round to changing my tyres to non-run flat on Saturday, and to be honest i meh'd.

I replaced them like for like (Bridgestone Potenzas) and got all 4 for £550 inc VAT so a bargain in all fairness (i was quote over £900 for replacement runflats), but i would not say the difference is all its cracked up to be. Yes softer, but i felt sea-sick for the first 10 miles whilst getting used to the softness. There was also more floppiness in steering feel with more free give each way. I much prefered the feel of the runflats TBH, much nicer and firmer.

So the only benefits for me were a cost one. Now i am going to be scared about getting a flatty. And knowing my luck that will happen tomorrow.

Golf GTD Mk7
Not sure if this is true, but I was in kwik fit and they said you have to put run flats back on or it voids insurance. True or false :S

330i. E30 Touring.
Not sure if this is true, but I was in kwik fit and they said you have to put run flats back on or it voids insurance. True or false :S

Can't be true. Just a way of blagging more money out of you.

It's like saying a Clio comes out of the factory with Michelins on, so putting R888's on would invalidate your insurance there? Nope.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Cowboys, utter cowboys and nothing else.

Runflats are utter toss, it is recommended that they are not repaired due to the rigidity of the sidewalls (IIRC) they are hard to keep heat in them, they simply do not merit the cost's which are incurred in replacement.

Id rather ride on Wanli's than runflats

Golf GTD Mk7
That's what i thought. Although do you not have to use specific alloys to fit them, or do they fit any alloy?

RS 182 CUP
Runflats can't be repaired once punctured. They themselves have nothing to do with the pressure sensitve valve, you can use any tire including budgets if you wanted, just make sure whoever changes your tyres doesn't damage the valve on the bead breaking machine, which is easily done. I do this for a living.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
I must be one of the few people who don't think run flats are gash, yes they're harsher but I kind of like it.

RS 182 CUP
They're sidewalks are solid, can't imagine they're that crap if most manufactures put then on there top end motors

Did you mind check the pressures of the tyres now they've been fitted. Some garages are diabolical for over inflating the tyres when they put them on.