ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

running rich and using loads of fuel

307 hdi (powered by derv)
I hope someone can help.

I picked up my 1.6 mx5 last week and then stupidly on sunday i washed the engine which caused the car to misfire etc for a while. It ran sluggish ever since so i have replaced the spark plugs which has brought it back to life now.

Ever since this washing incident the car has been smoking alot and running rich(can smell the fuel) and therefor my car is drinking fuel like it is going out of fashion. I only managed 125 to my first tank of fuel.

Can anyone shed any light onto this issue? Could water has got in something else?

Thanks in advance
Shaw

p,s i know its not a clio but mx-5 forum is quiet tonight

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Sounds to me like it is water related so just check all the wiring etc. Not sure where it is on that car but likely to be in the head somewhere

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I did this with my 172 about 12 months ago, it wouldn't come out of limp mode. In the end I removed each fuse individually and dried them which seemed to cure the problem.

cheers ben, when u say check it do u mean just check it for water in it or check voltage etc?

Last edited:
The hot wire is extreemly delicate and sensitive.

Check outputs against any known outputs that it should be running.....i dont know anything about MX5's to help more than point and shout.

ben i think you should change your occupation to being a mind reader.

I plugged the diagnostic tool into the car today and it brough up towo faults:

8 Airflow meter
&
10 Intake air thermistor in airflow meter

Seeing as both these faults point to the same area id say its the airflow meter.

There £300 new but just found a used one on ebay for £60. Only had the car 2weeks and already had this and spigot bearing sieze. Anyway enough of my rambling.

So this would cause the car to run rich and sluggish? correct?

many thanks
Shaw

Audi TT 225
No I mean your getting the same effect, it tricks your airflow meter into thinking its running at full throttle and thus dumps tons of fuel into your engine regardless ;)

ah i get ya. cant believe people buy those things then. 20mpg, fuel flavoured smoke and sluggish behaviour wouldn't appeal to me.

Audi TT 225
I know some one that bought one! Mate in work who had a puma. He was go gutted, think he paid almost £20 for 5x 3p resistor ahahaha. First he said oh Ive ordered a chip of eBay gives me 20bhp la la la and I cried laughing when he brought in a strip of resistors!
Could imagine it pumping out black smoke at idle,

ben i think you should change your occupation to being a mind reader.

I plugged the diagnostic tool into the car today and it brough up towo faults:

8 Airflow meter
&
10 Intake air thermistor in airflow meter

Seeing as both these faults point to the same area id say its the airflow meter.

There £300 new but just found a used one on ebay for £60. Only had the car 2weeks and already had this and spigot bearing sieze. Anyway enough of my rambling.

So this would cause the car to run rich and sluggish? correct?

many thanks
Shaw

SEcond hand units are a 50/50 thing as they do get tired with age due to contaminents on the hot wire, so hopefully it'll be a good one.

Getting yours wet has either damaged the wire itself, put dirt/contaminents on it or got inside the circutry. The hot wire is self cleaning and when you turn off it'll heat the wire up till red hot to clean any crap off, but if you get enough on it'll stay on and affect the airflow readings.

Or you could of physically damaged it.

Either way, MAF's are useless and overly sensitive.......they always go.

cheers ben,

i have ordered the part and they gaurantee it is full working order and clear of diagnostic faults so i will keep fingers crossed.

My air flow meter doesn't have a wire. Instead there is a little plastic tit with a hole in it which sticks out 10mm into the port. Looking in the hole it looks black and blocked up. The hole is only about 1-2mm big.

more than likely a hot film then....inside that hole will be your element.

Doubt the japs use a karman votex MAF.