ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running rough (Ford content, sorry)

172DD Cup
Hi, my little sister has a Ford Ka and it's running a bit rough, akin to a missing cylinder. I confirmed this (or so I thought) when I pulled one of the HT leads off and the metal connector that should be inside the ht lead was still connected to the top of the spark plug. I forced the ht lead back onto the top of the plug to get a connection and we started the car- there was no difference in engine behaviour between having the lead on the car and the lead in my hand. Text book faulty ht lead, or so I thought...

We bought new leads and fitted them but problem remains. Apart from checking obvious spark plugs and coilpack, is there anything else? I was so sure the ht lead was the culprit. Never that easy though is it!

Is it safe to use a multimeter to pick up a reading off the ht lead? I wasn't sure if the amps would be too high.

Thanks all, Kris

BG182 Cup, Discovery
Most likely to be the coil pack if it's the duratec engine! I've changed loads of these at work, just don't get a cheap one as it won't last 5 mins

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fords and coilpacks don't mix. Every ford owner should carry a spare!

172DD Cup
yep it's the duratec. 1.3.
what's the general connection model for the coil pack? i've gone and found too much information on the net. the firing order is either 1,2,4,3 or 1,3,4,2.
i also found coil packs labelled differently. one place has the coil pack connectors labelled 1-2-3-4 counter clockwise, another place has the connectors labelled 4-2-3-1.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Why are you making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Ring Euro car parts or Ford, whichever takes your fancy, give reg number, get coilpack.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Put new one next to old one, swap 1 wire at a time. Bolt down.

Go for pint.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
By the sounds of it I'd get someone to fit it for you lol, if the leads are mixed up on the coil pack knowing the firing order (1342) isn't going to help.

172DD Cup
If I can manage changing a gearbox I'm sure I'll be ok with a coilpack :)
Think I might have to register on the Ka owners forum *shudder*

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is it safe to use a multimeter to pick up a reading off the ht lead? I wasn't sure if the amps would be too high.

Not safe at all no, its a huge voltage and likely to break your meter.

With regards to the problem, assuming you have the leads in order, sounds like coilpack.