ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Runs fine but no drive

titanic killer
My mate has a clio 172 not sure what yr and is having problems,
basically he had a new gear box and new clutch recently,
the car turns over and runs but will not drive,can seect all gears with clutch down but still no go
any ideas?
cheers

BMW M135i
Diff circlip in the box most probably. If you can put it in gear clutch up and still no drive i'd go with that.

Last edited:
  BMW M135i
Just hope it hasn't broken/dissapeared off into the box somewhere or that'll be fun getting it out. I wouldn't try it anymore until you've had a look as I wouldn't want to disturb it too much, bad news it if goes into the box/diff and gets pulled into something it shouldn't!

This is why they switched to a bolt diff retainer in the 182/very late 172s.

titanic killer
ohh sounds like hes gonna have fun then
right i will tell my old man to tell him not to keep trying things untill hes checked diff circlip in the box

BMW M135i
Hopefully its just popped out and is sitting there so you can see it when you take the passenger side driveshaft out. Trouble is sometimes once they've gone once they'll just keep on doing it.

my 1.2 is having similar symptoms to this, the N/S driveshaft has popped most of the way out (not spilled any oil), but I have lost drive to both wheels... is it possible that is is linked to the Diff circlip you mentioned?

or is it just because it relies on both driveshafts being in?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
With an open diff the side without a shaft will be getting all the drive.

there is no drive at all from either side although the shaft can be heard trying to pop back into the gearbox whilst ticking over (but the box is turning too fast)... the drivers side shaft is solid, but the passengers side is half out... no visible signs of damage etc..

so it is possibly a shagged gearbox? there was no crunching/grinding etc previous to this. it just popped out when I went to set of from a junction, the gearbox is still trying to make contact with the driveshaft but in its current position 'can't reach', I think the reason it has popped out is because of a worn dogbone mount having too much movement and it has jerked dropping the shaft out of position(unless there is something sinister going off in my gearbox...)

I'll pop it back in and take it for a short drive on my dinner break :/

what is the worst case scenario if I pop it back in? is it likely to pop back out at any point or is there any possibilty it will have damaged something in my gearbox?

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Does the speedo go up when you go up through the gears? (If its a speed sender box, ie ph1 or early ph2 or cup)

Sounds like either the curclip popped out or one of the driveshafts not in right.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
With an open diff the side without a shaft will be getting all the drive.
Correct. If one shaft isn't getting drive then the other one will get none as all the drive will go to just turn the side with no resistance.

Does the speedo go up when you go up through the gears? (If its a speed sender box, ie ph1 or early ph2 or cup)

Sounds like either the curclip popped out or one of the driveshafts not in right.

Correct. If one shaft isn't getting drive then the other one will get none as all the drive will go to just turn the side with no resistance.

thank god you turned up chip :hail:

and you mean when i change gear does the speedo still increase a little? if so the answer is no mate, the speed only increases on the speedo whilst in gear and accelerating

and the passengers side seems to have half popped out mate, its barely making contact with the gearbox part on the inside (not sure on the name), but is still in place as such, the gaitor etc is still intact and no oil lost...

should it be okay to just pop it back in till i can get it to a garage? (less than a mile tops)

any reason it would have popped out other than the worn mount? and any chance it has done damage to something else?

thanks for the help in advance