ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rust... brilliant!

Jbar89

ClioSport Club Member
  Peugeot 207
I was hosing down the underside of my 182 to get the last of the winter gunk off and I noticed for the first time that my front jacking point is a bit mangled and rusty.

IMG-9477.jpgIMG-9478.jpg

Of course, as soon as I saw this I got rust paranoia and started investigating elsewhere. Bugger. I spot a 3-4 tiny bubbles on the lower rear arch. I realise from scouting around the forums that this is pretty common so I whip the rear door card off to have a better look. Lo and behold, rust at the bottom.

IMG-9492.jpgIMG-9488.jpg

I've seen some people have had success using Kurust and Bilt Hamber products to stop the rust in its tracks, but as my rust has penetrated through the metal to bubble the paint, is it too late for that?

So, my questions are:

1. Is the sill and wheel arch rust economically fixable?
2. If so, what's the best approach? Am I looking at welding?
3. What's the likelihood that this is or will become an MOT fail?

I'm not too bothered about having a rust-free car so long as the rust won't advance to the point where it's terminal.

Ideally though I'd like to get it sorted. And as I don't have any off-road parking I'd probably be looking to get a bodyshop to do it. Does anyone know of any good bodyshops in the Hampshire area and the likely cost to get this sorted?

Apologies for the barrage of questions and thanks in advance for your help!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Defo fixable. You should see the state of the Jap cars! Ep3 rot from the inside out in the arches/door pockets too, mine were much worse than that. Can't see it being an MOT fail but now you've spotted it, be daft not to stop it in it's tracks.

Wire wheel clean it up, kurust and some zinc primer - if it doesn't create any holes anyway. Clean up behind the petrol filler neck where it collects all the crap first.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
As my esteemed colleague above has said, thats in no way concerning, here is the inside door card of a 74,000 mile old Type R…
DED0EF56-04D7-4F93-8ACF-AB88F4F76301.jpeg