ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rust on arches

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Hi,

I have some rust on the rear arches and really dont want a bodge job on this.
Any advice on what process to and rough price.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If its had a repair and not had everything put back together properly (likely) then water will have got in and it was just a waiting game then sadly

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
If its had a repair and not had everything put back together properly (likely) then water will have got in and it was just a waiting game then sadly
yeah likely. i know a really good painter but unfortunately unsure if he knows how to weld. so might go to a body shop that does classic cars.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yep needs to be done properly mate. These cars are getting to an age where stuff happens now.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Also check inside the petrol flap too whilst you are at it. Clios tend to bubble a bit in there too.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
It all depends on how bad!
If you were to cut out make and weld in a new arch could take a days work to get it nice. You do it too quickly and you'll have loads of distortion and a ton of filler to try and put it right!
I've been restoring cars for over 22 years and it's always worse than it looks!
At least it's nothing like this restored patchwork porsche I did a couple of years back!
20140512_213032.jpg

20140523_102155.jpg

20140602_232508.jpg

20140730_092753.jpg

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
It all depends on how bad!
If you were to cut out make and weld in a new arch could take a days work to get it nice. You do it too quickly and you'll have loads of distortion and a ton of filler to try and put it right!
I've been restoring cars for over 22 years and it's always worse than it looks!
At least it's nothing like this restored patchwork porsche I did a couple of years back!
20140512_213032.jpg

20140523_102155.jpg

20140602_232508.jpg

20140730_092753.jpg
Work is outstanding .. fancy another job :p

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Thanks @Dannyeff
Shame I'm not closer.
Just make sure whoever does it butt welds the new pieces in. Not joggled and over lapped as it can be a water/damp trap as you can't really seal it properly from behind!
And waxoyl it afterwards!
Here's an arch I put into a mk1 lotus cortina.
IMG_7662.jpg
IMG_4742.jpg

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Rust on the rear arches is getting a common problem now unfortunately - as is lower drivers side front corner of the bonnet.
I recently looked at 6 x Trophy's and all had rust on the rear arches - not a massive amount but bubbling all the same and seemed more so on the drivers side rear arch.
Even the one I bought has a tiny bit on the rear drivers arch where it meets the tip of the rear bumper.