ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sad day for me, RIP 182 but what to do next?

54 Clio 182 2.0
So, i took my beloved 182 to have it's MOT today and my mechanic told me that whilst it was being tested the engine just seized up, he told be that it looks like the cam belt had snapped, he said due to the nature of the damage it would probably cost more to repair than the cars worth.

So what do I do next? Scrap it? Sell it for parts? anyone have any suggestions? I'm no mechanic myself otherwise i probably would have broke it down myself and sold the parts..:(

Gutted to say the least :cry:

Mec 350 slk manual
So, i took my beloved 182 to have it's MOT today and my mechanic told me that whilst it was being tested the engine just seized up, he told be that it looks like the cam belt had snapped, he said due to the nature of the damage it would probably cost more to repair than the cars worth.

So what do I do next? Scrap it? Sell it for parts? anyone have any suggestions? I'm no mechanic myself otherwise i probably would have broke it down myself and sold the parts..:(

Gutted to say the least :cry:
might be worth picking up a second hand engine

54 Clio 182 2.0
I got it done at Birchdown, and they were done at around 50,000 it now has 70,000.. i bought it in 2011 for 3k so not sure its worth much now plus it's not in the best antithetical condition neither..

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I'd take it somewhere who knows what there on about, get them to give you a proper diagnosis

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
did they say if you leave it with us we won't charge you for the work we've done so far :argue:

surely you must know someone capable of puting a second hand engine in for you (get it done).

Oh and by the way you don't need to be a mechanic to break a car to sell it in bits - I've done it before and I'm a glass backed office worker.

54 Clio 182 2.0
He's an indipendent mechanic and a family friend that use to work for Renault, and later went solo. He didn't offer anything he just said he's not too sure what to do, he could open it up to assess the damage, then charge me to get told it's knackered, or try sell it for parts or scrap etc.

54 Clio 182 2.0
Right new development guys so my Mechanic apparently took it to a separate MOT center, and they were the ones that said it made a "right racket" and stopped, when trying to start it it wouldst turn over.They were the ones that said suspected cam belt snap. So my mechanic since then has towed it back to his base and he said he left it a few hours and put a jump pack on it and it started again and no signs of any damage to belts! anyone know what it could be that's making the car suddenly stop and not turn over whatsoever?

330i. E30 Touring.
Crank sensor?

Need to get it plugged in ideally to see if it's logged any fault codes.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Right new development guys so my Mechanic apparently took it to a separate MOT center, and they were the ones that said it made a "right racket" and stopped, when trying to start it it wouldst turn over.They were the ones that said suspected cam belt snap. So my mechanic since then has towed it back to his base and he said he left it a few hours and put a jump pack on it and it started again and no signs of any damage to belts! anyone know what it could be that's making the car suddenly stop and not turn over whatsoever?

*IF* we have a suspected cambelt failure, WHY THE HELL did your expert mechanic try and jump start it?!?!
*IF* the cambelt had snapped, he would have just done even more damage!

I'm hoping you mean he checked the belts, saw no signs of damage and then tried to start it........

Many.
*IF* we have a suspected cambelt failure, WHY THE HELL did your expert mechanic try and jump start it?!?!
*IF* the cambelt had snapped, he would have just done even more damage!

I'm hoping you mean he checked the belts, saw no signs of damage and then tried to start it........

b****cks tbh.

Mechanic number 1, would have instantly tried to start it, everybody would if it just suddenly cut out. Furthermore, I'd bet money that it would do the same amount of damage as it snapped and was still turning.

330i. E30 Touring.
b****cks tbh.

Mechanic number 1, would have instantly tried to start it, everybody would if it just suddenly cut out. Furthermore, I'd bet money that it would do the same amount of damage as it snapped and was still turning.

Quite agree.

If the belt's snapped/slipped while running, it's probably goosed anyway. Nothing like a quick diagnosis of hearing a few last remaining valves hit pistons before the quick spin.