ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

BMW E46 330i Touring
Ah definitely mate, if I stayed with Apple then it would still be fine. I do have one pair of jeans that my phone won't fit in though!

Rav4
OK, just got the delivery for it and set it up.

I hate to say this and I sound like a total fan, but it's certainly no iPhone in regards to build quality and feel.

Have not messed around with the ICS yet, so not fair to judge on that basis.

Overall looks good, screen is massive compared to the iPhone4.

Doesn't seem that much quicker, sometimes lags somewhat, but trying to do too many things at the same time.

Quite happy with it, will update more later on, might help some people.

Now, to figure out what I can do with this thing, so used to iOS, I don't really have a clue on how to use it, apart from setting up the emails and basics.

Thanks,

G

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm glad someone has this. I am due an upgrade and went to get one earlier but they had none in stock and wont have for a while. I did like the feel of it though, not as big as I thought it was, certainly better sized than the Galaxy S2, nicer looking too.

Currently running a Galaxy S and think I will stick to Android (part of the reason is not having a phone number for a while if I swap to ios)

I'll keep an eye on this thread for any updates/problems.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Well i opted for one of these and i think its a really nice phone. The screen is good, if a little big (yes i have girl hands).
Internet seems fast. Multi tasks easy enough too.

A couple of issues though. Google and facebook are not talking so you cant link the fb account like you can with twitter etc.
No additional storage and copying the contacts from my galaxy s was a ball ache and most of them have either duplicated or gone so i have to go through one by one and re enter them (this might/is due to me being a tard with phones)

Rav4
I'm going in to get on this weekend I hope - seen one in the flesh and loved it :)

Chopping in my iPhone4 for it

Some points to make after a week or more of having it;

1) If you don't require all the fancy OS settings, then iOS is by far, much simpler and intuitive than Android to use, even ICS.
2) Battery is rubbish, don't use the phone much and get about 18 hours on a single charge.
3) Why do you have two email icons, one for gmail and one for the rest of your accounts i.e exchange
4) Not as smooth as an iPhone when scrolling through the various desktops, slight lag (quite fussy on this, sorry)
5) Screen is lovely, being bigger has become quite handy, but I find it a bit harder to manage as I cannot access all the screen easily on one hand (i don't have lady hands) has a slight yellow/dull tint
6) If you are reading a web page/email and you scroll up & down quickly, you can see a ghosting effect on the text.
7) Rendering of web pages isn't ideal with the stock browser, using dolphin HD and it's so much better.
8) When you zoom in on a page/email, it doesn't leave the text as it is, tries to be too smart and tries to make it fit to page, depending on screen size.
9) Feels like a better build than the Galaxy S II but I don't think it matches to the quality of the IP4

Generally, it's a nice welcome. I am going to stick with it because I am stubborn, but there are quite a few things that I miss on the iPhone.

The question is, do I feel it's worth the £525 I paid for it? Nope. Does an iPhone 4s, Nope. Which one would I rather invest my money on in future, iPhone simply because I know I can sell it at a reasonable price.

I've just installed ICS on my desire, and I have to say, although it looks slick in some aspects, I'm disappointed with the contacts and messaging apps. As mentioned contacts don't sync with fb, and the messaging app is so basic. You can't choose from a list of numbers and tick who to send to, you have to type the name in. Also not possible to send to groups, which I do on a daily basis. Had to download another messaging app just to do this.

Miss a few of the nice features HTC Sense has, once an ICS sense rom is developed I'll be switching to it.

Clio 172
I've just installed ICS on my desire, and I have to say, although it looks slick in some aspects, I'm disappointed with the contacts and messaging apps. As mentioned contacts don't sync with fb, and the messaging app is so basic. You can't choose from a list of numbers and tick who to send to, you have to type the name in. Also not possible to send to groups, which I do on a daily basis. Had to download another messaging app just to do this.

Miss a few of the nice features HTC Sense has, once an ICS sense rom is developed I'll be switching to it.

You considered CM9 when its released?

Clio 172
Some points to make after a week or more of having it;

1) If you don't require all the fancy OS settings, then iOS is by far, much simpler and intuitive than Android to use, even ICS.
2) Battery is rubbish, don't use the phone much and get about 18 hours on a single charge.
3) Why do you have two email icons, one for gmail and one for the rest of your accounts i.e exchange
4) Not as smooth as an iPhone when scrolling through the various desktops, slight lag (quite fussy on this, sorry)
5) Screen is lovely, being bigger has become quite handy, but I find it a bit harder to manage as I cannot access all the screen easily on one hand (i don't have lady hands) has a slight yellow/dull tint
6) If you are reading a web page/email and you scroll up & down quickly, you can see a ghosting effect on the text.
7) Rendering of web pages isn't ideal with the stock browser, using dolphin HD and it's so much better.
8) When you zoom in on a page/email, it doesn't leave the text as it is, tries to be too smart and tries to make it fit to page, depending on screen size.
9) Feels like a better build than the Galaxy S II but I don't think it matches to the quality of the IP4

Generally, it's a nice welcome. I am going to stick with it because I am stubborn, but there are quite a few things that I miss on the iPhone.

The question is, do I feel it's worth the £525 I paid for it? Nope. Does an iPhone 4s, Nope. Which one would I rather invest my money on in future, iPhone simply because I know I can sell it at a reasonable price.

I did get mine in the end and I feel quite impressed with it - found the NFC feature? that freaked me out at first lol.

I just think the OS isn't as restrictive as iOS, with it being more open source, but then I don't find it as intuitive as iOS and I find iOS more flowing with the way you do things.

One thing that has pissed me off with it is the setting, they're not all in one place like iOS - you have to go into different apps to customise them, this includes turning off and on vibrate features that I had to find somewhere!

The spelling algorithms are not as good as iOS as well I find.

EDIT: Oh and I find that it lags like f**k if you type a long message in landscape - and I hope they sort this out as that annoys the f**k out of me.

182FF with cup packs

I put an ICS rom onto my Galaxy S2 a couple of days ago, it's based on 4.0.3. I really like it. I've always run stock ROMs on my various Android devices though, so I don't miss sense or anything like that. I'm just waiting for CM9 to be released, then that'll be my main ROM. I'm already running the Trebuchet launcher which will be in CM9. One thing I have to say is that ICS seems to fly, it's so fast on my GS2.

I've also found a handy app called Haxsync which syncs profile pics from Facebook to your contacts (the actual contact details sync form Facebook fine).

Rav4
The lag was removed by changing from a live wallpaper to a standard one, which I do not understand as on the SII it's very smooth. Getting more used to this now, but going to take a while.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone had any issues with losing network? I've woken up to it displaying 'please insert the sim card' or just having no network. The only way I can get it going again is to re insert the sim (even though its not been touched!), and take the battery out.
Also, had issues with it not charging too unless its turned off. I've looked at a few forums and these seem like common problems. Just wondering if anyone else has had these?
Will be taking it back to 02 when I get the chance, not sure if they will have to send it off or just replace it though.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You tried checking for updates? i swear it had that fault at launch and was patched?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't yet but I will do before I take it back to the shop. I did notice the posts about the issues were all before xmas. I'll have a look for any updates.

Cheers

Edit: Looking on the phone, it says it is up to date. Will check online though.

182FF with cup packs
Any more news on when ICS will be released on the S2?

It shouldn't be long.

The latest leak is 4.0.3 with XXKP8 firmware. Not downloadable via Kies yet, but you can flash it via Odin.

Don't use Odin if you're not sure what your doing as you could bugger up your phone.

I've been running this for about a week now. It's pretty stable, and doesn't use the TouchWiz launcher (Love the GS2 hardware, Samsung's Android customization not so much ).

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
^^ Cheers. I won't be tying that though as I have no idea where to start with flashing phones etc.

Just turned the phone off (only way to get it to charge) and then it lit up 5 minutes later. It had re booted I think and now it seems to be on charge.

I checked the version and it is 4.0.2 -Will it auto update when its released do you know?

182FF with cup packs
^^ Cheers. I won't be tying that though as I have no idea where to start with flashing phones etc.

Just turned the phone off (only way to get it to charge) and then it lit up 5 minutes later. It had re booted I think and now it seems to be on charge.

I checked the version and it is 4.0.2 -Will it auto update when its released do you know?

4.0.3 is around for the Nexus S. It does depend on whether you have a stock one, or it is a carrier branded one. If it's a carrier branded one, you will basically have to wait until your carrier gets their finger out of their ass and updates their images to allow for Over-The-Air updates.

There are apparently a load of bugfixes for battery/charging issues in 4.0.3

(p.s. I think i was confusing the issue a bit talking about Odin/Kies, that's a Samsung only thing, the Galaxy S doesn't count as a Samsung for the purposes of Odin/Kies)

I put an ICS rom onto my Galaxy S2 a couple of days ago, it's based on 4.0.3. I really like it. I've always run stock ROMs on my various Android devices though, so I don't miss sense or anything like that. I'm just waiting for CM9 to be released, then that'll be my main ROM. I'm already running the Trebuchet launcher which will be in CM9. One thing I have to say is that ICS seems to fly, it's so fast on my GS2.

I've also found a handy app called Haxsync which syncs profile pics from Facebook to your contacts (the actual contact details sync form Facebook fine).

Never looked into CM9, I have a feeling the hboot needs changing on the desire for it, something I've not messed with before. May check it out, also debated MIUI.

I managed to get fb pics syncing using sync my pix, it just pisses me off that something that's been around for ages no longer works. Maybe google have done it on purpose so people will use g+ instead?

182FF with cup packs
Never looked into CM9, I have a feeling the hboot needs changing on the desire for it, something I've not messed with before. May check it out, also debated MIUI.

I managed to get fb pics syncing using sync my pix, it just pisses me off that something that's been around for ages no longer works. Maybe google have done it on purpose so people will use g+ instead?

Google statement on why they removed the ability [basically because Facebook refuse to use the official contact API]:

“We believe it is very important that users are able to control their data. So in the over-the-air update for Nexus S, we have a small change to how Facebook contacts appear on the device. For Nexus S users who downloaded the Facebook app from Android Market, Facebook contacts will no longer appear to be integrated with the Android Contacts app. Since Facebook contacts cannot be exported from the device, the appearance of integration created a false sense of data portability. Facebook contact data will continue to appear within the Facebook app. Like all developers on Android, Facebook is free to use the Android contacts
API to truly integrate contacts on the device, which would allow users to have more control over their data. We are removing the special-case handling of Facebook contacts on Nexus S and future lead devices. We continue to believe that reciprocity (the expectation that if information can be imported into a service it should be able to be exported) is an important step toward creating a world of true data liberation — and encourage other websites and app developers to allow users to export their contacts as well.”

BMW E46 330i Touring

There was a signal dropping issue to begin with but it sounds like you have a different problem. I'd take it back for repair or (if it's still brand new) replacement.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I think I will be taking this back on Monday.

Still having charge issues, still dropping signal randomly and the last few days its been crashing and resetting itself.

Not sure if I will keep it/replacement or change to the 4S

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
I have had no issues at all with mine. Updated a couple of times to fix bugs, bugs that I never even noticed existed.

Shame you're having problems as they are great phones.

As for FB contacts syncing with your address book. This was removed because it gave a false sense of security with your phone book entries, and as Google backs up (if you chose to let them) all of your contacts to your Google account, these FB entries are not included. No good when you get a new phone that doesn't import FB contacts, then you realise half your phone book is missing.

There are apps to pull FB photos though. I have a photo for every contact after half hour of trying out apps to do the job.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Mine developed some weird issue where it kept on rebooting itself - literally over and over and over.

It's gone off to some repair centre so I'm having to make do with some prehistoric LG phone for a couple weeks. Hopefully it'll just be a software fix...