ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung Galaxy S2 or Sony Ericcson Arc

Williams 2, 182 cup
I am looking to upgrade my phone tomorrow to either the Samsung Galaxy S2 or the Sony Ericcson Arc. Which should I go for and why?

Please don't suggest alternatives.

Mito Sportiva 135
Galaxy S2 - dual processor = quicker, more features, super amoled screen

Arc - looks pretty

S2 is the more advanced phone in terms of spec.

Mondeo diesel barge
I've recently got the S2. It's pretty much the best phone I've used and going by the reviews it's definitely the one to beat. The arc is of course the better looking out of the two and will still be fast enough, but the capabilities of the galaxy won me over.

Mito Sportiva 135
I know you said not to suggest alternatives, but the HTC Sensation looks like it might be the one to wait for...S2 is still really good though, Arc looks good too. Just depends what your priorities are in a phone.

Mito Sportiva 135
What do you think of the case though on the back especially, bit cheap-ish or not too bad? That was the only thing putting me off really.

Mondeo diesel barge
It isn't too bad, definitely not up there with other phones for the quality of the handset, but far from poor. I've came from an Omnia 7, which had an all metal body and felt like a high quality phone, so in comparison it doesn't match that. But it still looks good, lightweight and amazingly thin for what the phone has crammed inside. Aside from the plastic battery cover it really is an incredible phone.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh a shame though really - as it lets down the premium feel of it...for me it was between that and the new HTC Sensation, but think I'll wait for that now. Does look really good though - what's the screen look like in the flesh?

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh saw lots of good reviews for it and think it's a better set than the LG Optimus X2 and Motorola Atrix (well for me it would be anyway!) - but I've got an HTC now and love it, so going to stick with them.

Williams 2, 182 cup
O2 made the decission for me by withdrawing the arc. S2 is really smooth and fast but the casing is a let down.

Mito Sportiva 135
I don't know why they didn't spend more on case design, if you spend that much on a phone you expect it to be a decent quality product in every area.

CLIO Iceberg 172
to be fair i think the case design was more about saving weight so i could gain those extra grams to win the lightest, thinest and best smart phone. so i think it was more for this achevement rather than the quality of materials. i think if you look at it from this point of view i think they have done really really well to get the weight down but still maintain a fairly (not top) high standard of phone while filling it with amazing new tech. iv had it about a week now and i still cant get over how good the screen is! i was out yesterday in bright direct sunlight and could still see it very very clearly.
ill have some videos up soon of it recording in 720p and also 1080p just so good!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
S2 does have a great spec but looks like they spent 3p on the build quality !!!

Mondeo diesel barge
It still has a high quality build, no squeeks or rattles, feels well put together. As above it is merely to create a thin, lightweight phone. It doesn't match the iPhone or other high end smartphones for build quality, but wouldn't say it's poor.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh I appreciate what they were trying to achieve, but think most people wouldn't mind an extra few grams and a mm or too to get a premium and durable case...well personally I would anyway.

Listerine & Poledo
HTC > Sony Ericsson though by a mile!

I'd also say HTC > Samsung > Sony Ericsson....

Had a HTC Desire, Now have an Xperia Play,

I'd say the Xperia is the superior product. SIgnal, battery, design, all better. But that's just my thoughts.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh well it is a later generation phone though - but I think most reviews I've seen would place the S2 above the Arc (generally seen as the SE current flagship).

Like you say though it is all subjective and most new phones now are awesome anyway...shouldn't really be called phones or smartphones now should they??

Fiat Linea
Sony Ericsson Arc versus Samsung Galaxy S2 its like both gladiators on the battlefield ie smartphone market so shall we bet on... umm obviously Samsung Galaxy S2 ..lol frm the reviews it would be beneficial to buy Galaxy S2...

Mito Sportiva 135
Hopefully I will be too. How's the battery on it though, any noticeable difference? My Hero only lasts from about 7am until 10pm now with moderate use - no point having all these features if it's always dead otherwise!

Mondeo diesel barge
Hopefully I will be too. How's the battery on it though, any noticeable difference? My Hero only lasts from about 7am until 10pm now with moderate use - no point having all these features if it's always dead otherwise!

After the latest update I'm now getting decent battery life, moderate use will see me going a day without charging. When you get the phone though get rid of the samsung apps, especially the social one, it drains the battery and is just generally crap.

Mito Sportiva 135
What's the social app thing do?

Also when you got yours, how did you export all your contacts in from your old phone? I'm on HTC at the moment so can't really use the software via my PC I think....or is there any generic software you can use etc which you know of mate?

Mondeo diesel barge
It's a crappy software that samsung use for the likes of facebook etc. It constantly wants to update everything, so destroys the battery.

Is it an android phone you're on just now? If so all your contacts should be stored on your googlemail (gmail) account, so once you start using the galaxy S you can sync your contacts to the new phone.

Mito Sportiva 135
I am on Android yes mate, but all contacts saved to phone / sim ....and can't find an option to copy all to Gmail either.....frustrating!!!

Mito Sportiva 135
Ok, I just went onto Google mail now and manually typed in my contacts...filtering out all the rubbish contacts I've built up I was only left with 70 people I'd actually consider calling!

Ro55o, presumably there is an option on the S2 to just import all GMail contacts, as you can do with Facebook contacts to my current hero?

Mondeo diesel barge
Yeah, I'm pretty sure all it took was for me to put in my googlemail account on the phone and it sync'd all my contacts, can't remember actually doing anything else. There is an option to link everyone to their facebook profiles as well, so it's the profile pic that comes up when they phone etc

edit - I just checked the phone and there are a few options, sync contacts, merge with google and import/export from sim card.

Mito Sportiva 135
Ok sweet as...hopefully saved some time once my phone arrives then! Always annoying importing contacts to a new phone!

Mito Sportiva 135
Not now maybe, but as it's a 2 year contract, over that time I'm sure they will be fully utilised and mainstream.

Snotter's
silly question but how do you call a number that isnt saved to your contacts on the galaxy s2?

There isnt a keypad as such!!!

Mito Sportiva 135
Ok just got the phone, Sohrob or anyone else can anyone advise??

1. Can't seem to setup my Hotmail account on it for some reason - how do I do this? Either through the "Add Account" or through the Hotmail app (that says my password is wrong, but it isn't?!)

Ok just seen I can push emails to my phone for "just" £5 a month...surely you can access Hotmail for free, surely?!?

2. I don't think the phone came with an SD card...if so is it worth getting one? It says I have almost 12gb of USB memory...what the hell is that?
3. How do I add a lock screen?

Thanks!

Loving the phone so far otherwise.

Last edited:
  Snotter's
on apps you should have a a gmail icon and also an email icon.

Using the email icon simply out in your add and password, it took me a few attempts but now it works a treat.

The phone is 16gb so i aint bothered for an sd card.

For lock screen you just use the power button on the right of thephone.