ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung Galaxy S3

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Myself being an apple fanboy I find myself strangely excited by this.

I never really liked Android but then I haven't used it since it first came out, upon revisiting it on my mums Samsung galaxy tablet I was extremely impressed with it to the point where I prefer the galaxy tablet over my brothers ipad which I used to use nearly every day. In my opinion it is a much better device for the things I use such a device for.

Now we have the upcoming galaxy s3 which noone really knows much about apart from a load of rumours but Samsung are seriously hyping this phone up to ridiculous proportions, I don't think they'd hype it up this much if it wasn't going to be something special.

First they released a picture giving no clues about the phone itself just with the date of the launch event (a standalone launch event at that which is something Samsung generally do not do)

galaxy-s3-may-3-poster.jpg

Then yesterday they tweeted what appeared to be random letters, these later turned out to be an anagram of "the next galaxy", people then found out that the random letters were also a domain name with a countdown clock on it.

SamsungTeaser.jpg

The countdown ended, a teaser video was released which gives nothing away but makes a bold statement refers to everyone else as sheep. (I think this is a dig at iPhone users more than anything)

All these games and teasers are massively hyping up the phone, I just couldn't see a company like Samsung going to so much trouble to hype it up and then just releasing an identical looking phone with a quicker processor or something small like that, IMO it would be suicide to do so as everyone will be disappointed.

Based on that, i'm expecting big things from this phone, we will find out soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Please keep on topic, anything unrelated to the S3 will be removed.

Also as a reminder

5. Any post or thread may be removed at a moderator’s discretion without informing the post / thread author of the reason. If you have a complaint about a thread removed, then please PM a member of the admin team or use the contact us form, do not discuss this on the forum. Breaking this rule will result in a major infraction (2 points).

Some more news.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/...hz_exynos_4_quad_processor_for_galaxy_s3.html

It’s official – Samsung’s 1.4GHz Exynos 4 quad-core processor is finally here and it’ll power Samsung’s next Galaxy smartphone, the Galaxy S3, which the company is launching in May.

The new Exynos 4 Quad chipset is the first ever quad-core application processor built on the High-k Metal Gate (HKMG) low-power process technology. Using a 32nm process, the Exynos 4 Quad enables double the processing power at a 20 per cent lower power bill over the Exynos 4 Dual, which is based on a 45nm process.
‘The quad-core processor offers phenomenal multitasking abilities surpassing any single or dual application processor. Since all the cores must share a single battery, the power management and efficiency in the limited battery capacity are indispensable for mobile computing devices,’ said Taehoon Kim, vice president of System LSI marketing, Device Solutions, Samsung Electronics.

He added: ‘Given the diverse functionalities consumers are demanding from their mobile devices today, the Exynos 4 Quad meets those high-performance needs while keeping power consumption very low.’

Samsung’s Exynos 4 Quad is designed for heavy users. The whole idea behind having this many cores is that it enables the user to do multiple things at once on their smartphone.

For instance, a task such as streaming video can run on one core while the other cores update applications in the background, connecting to the web and scanning virus-check simultaneously.

The Exynos 4 Quad has twice the processing power of the Exynos 4 Dual on account of its 32nm HKMG low-power process and power-saving design. To improve power efficiency further, Samsung added a hot-plug functionality to support on-off switching for each core as well as the per-core dynamic voltage and frequency scaling (DVFS) – using different levels of voltage and frequency when changing workloads.

The Exynos 4 Quad will power the Samsung Galaxy S3, which Samsung is expected to launch on May 3.

‘The application processor is a crucial element in providing our customers with a PC-like experience on mobile devices. Samsung’s next Galaxy device, which will be officially announced soon, offers uncompromised performance and ground breaking multi-tasking features, thanks to Exynos 4 Quad’s powerful performance and efficient energy management technology,’ said Hankil Yoon, Senior Vice President of Product Strategy Team, Samsung’s Mobile Communications Business.
We look forward to seeing how well Samsung’s new 32nm process will do when compared to Qualcomm’s 22nm S4 Snapdragon processor.

Love the promo video of the Exynos when they show the difference between WQXGA and WXGA by increasing the colour saturation on the WQXGA to show a difference between the two for the video.

I do like galaxy apart from its size! It's half phone, half tablet! I guess if you don't mind big phones it's pretty decent.

Need to up the build quality though, the battery cover felt a bit cheap for such a high end phone.

53 Clio's & counting
I really like my Galaxy S, I prefere it to Claire's phone, but that may be because I don't use all it's features, but for me, and what I use it for, the S is spot on, and I am due my upgrade soon, so this I will be very interested to see

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio GT 1.6
Can't wait for this to be released either, should be some good competition for Apple!
Just wish the apps were as good as IOS both in number and quality.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
IMO you will start to see that in time, at the end of the day if you were an app developer then android is on more than double the amount of phones that iOS is on so the market is huge, the only problem is that all the phones are so different therefore a game that works on an S3 is not going to work on a povery spec android device.

Fragmentation is a MASSIVE issue for the future of the platform, which results in developers struggling to support all the key devices. More devices to develop for is actually not a good thing when you are trying to make a living from software sales. More work means higher prices in a market that doesn't produce the returns that developers that write for IOS get.

Google will come up with a way round this i'm sure, some work on their app store would go a long way, some sort of category system on there would help massively something simple like "high end, mid-range, budget" devices and some examples of what phones are in what category. Then as an app developer you can categorise your app into 1 of the 3 and therefore people will know when they are searching for apps if that app will work on their phone. Not faultless but would go a long way.

That sounds ridiculous. a far better way to do it is to allow the developer to make the app invisible in the store to a device that isn't supported.

They have already made some improvements by allowing apps to be bigger than the previous limit of just 50mb.

50mb? that doesnt sound right? how would a nav app work?

IMO the Android OS is a match if not superior to iOS as it stands and really comes down to personal preferences as to which one you prefer, the hardware is equal it just chops and changes a bit as new devices come out but theres not much to pick between them, the shortcoming of android is the app store and once they get that right (and its only really an issue if you have a poverty spec device) then it will get interesting.

Agreed, the android ecosystem is markedly behind iOS

Thats my opinion anyway.

That post had absolutely nothing to do with the GS3. You moaned before about going off topic.
I've responded, but please keep on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.