ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sat Nav on PDA

dk

911 GTS Cab

i think it is quite good value, if it was my money though i would buy tomtom navigator and a hp ipaq but this is a good price.

The only thing to say is that it is a wired gps receiver whereas i find it useful having a bluetooth one with the heat reflective windscreen as you can place it where you like.

Valver

Ive got one of these, managed to pick it up for £269 from Aldi earlier this year. Does the job really well for the cash.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

I use an IPAQ 2200 series and a wired GPS reciever with Tom Tom 3, The pocket PCs TBH are pretty much the same, most run 400mhz processors. I run the wired reciever because the Bluetooth ones still have to be charged up all the time. I have hidden all my wiring in the dash of my car and the IPQ jus slips into the craddle with easy. For me it works.

http://www.briskoda.net/gallery/data/500/1318DSC00001-med.JPG

http://www.briskoda.net/gallery/data/500/1318DSC00003-med.JPG

http://www.briskoda.net/gallery/data/500/1318DSC00002-med.JPG

yeah ive always fancied sat nav in me car.

do u need to pay a subscription for the gps?

has anyone done a really neat installation, i.e fitting the pda in the dash? would it fit just under the heater controls?

can u get dedicated sat nav systems that are smaller so u can fit them more discreetley?

dk

911 GTS Cab

Chavyboy, the reason I have a Bluetooth one is for the reason that you cant do what you have done in a clio because the heat reflective screen cant be penetrated by the gps so it has to be placed in the little window in the middle of the screen.

The bluetooth tomtom is very small and discreet and sits on my dash without needing to be secured so i only out it in when required. It last for ages and only needs to be recharged once for every 2 ipaq recharges or you can plug it into the cigarette lighter anyway. I dont very often go somewhere where i dont know where i am going to it only goes in twice a month.

For the ipaq i use a bracket which attaches to the centre air vent which is veryneat and secure and means i dont have a suction circle on the sreen when i take it out.

The updates come out every year or so with the new roads which has recently gone from Tomtom navigator 2 to 3 and it costs a small amount to upgrade.

These days you can also download software for speed cameras and use the gps for this.

i ahve tomtom 3 too, with a IPAQ 4155, does the job nicely.

Updates within the same version are free, for instance, 3.0 to 3.1 is free, but 3.0 to 4.0 would be a small upgrade fee.

I have added traffic information too, that connects to the internet via my bluetooth mobile phone and it gets up to the second information on traffic problems, pretty handy if your on the motorways a lot. Its free for 3 months at the moment. http://www.tomtom.comwww.tomtom.com me thinks!

I have a wired GPS with it, waterproof too so it cant be stuck on the roof if a relfective windscreen is in your car. The GPS and pda are both powered by the same cigar lighter, cables can be bought on ebay!

Fantastic, so good to have a PDA version of sat nav, as PDAs do so much more too!

RB 182

Quote: Originally posted by partyboy on 23 August 2004

think he means software updates, so u can get new roads etc. added onto the pdas maps.
Yeah, new roads and that sort of thing, is this done over GPRS or coonect to your computer. Not that Ill have enough money for this fpr a while.

yeah same here with money! haha, i notice you have a 1.4 Dynamique, supurb! i have one on order for 20th september!

Anything i should know, never owned a renault before! It got the Digi and control packs!

Stuart