ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Saving JPEG's in PhotoShop CS4

"Navy" N17 TWO
Can someone please tell me there is a quicker way to save files as JPEG in CS4 ? :)

I'm having a time consuming battle editing photos, adding a border & my name then having to save every one individually, select format and then quality etc.

Then when you do save it, it will ask you to save again when you close the file :S

Am I a t**t and doing something wrong or just taking the long road home with this?

Cheers
Trev

Sprint 172
Record an action to do it. Open the action window, select record and then apply the changes and save instructions to one of your images. Then press stop. Then select the folder and the action in File > automate > batch. Or just press the play button for the action and work on a file by file basis.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Tried a recorded action on a few files, but it saved the file as a JPEG without saving the changes - baffled.com lol

Bus w**ker
Your actions writen/recorded wrong then by the sounds of it. I'm at work so can't get you a copy of mine...that said though I've just installed CS5 and can't import my f**king CS4 actions so I've got to re-write them all. :mad:

"Navy" N17 TWO
Ok got it going.

When i record my action it records the folder that file is sourced in, and saves everything to that folder, and saves all the files as "copy"

Is there a way of changing that? :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Tried the batch method, which overwrites the file with the file name I recorded the action with, therefore I'm losing photo's :mad:

P*ssed off now TBH

TTRS & V50
Tried the batch method, which overwrites the file with the file name I recorded the action with, therefore I'm losing photo's :mad:

P*ssed off now TBH

Select a different destination folder in the batch window !!!!

Or change the file naming to 4 digit + extention, and then when you do your recording record save as '0' at the end, not save.

It's so much easier, doing this.

TTRS & V50
Hey ?!? Reading up i understand you grasp how to record your own actions.. so make sure you use save as at the end. Stop recording.

Then go to file, automate, batch, then change dropdown on the destination bit to folder, change the filenaming and your done.

Note: I do use CS2 on both mac and pc, but i can't see that it's changed much has it ?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Think I've got that sorted now - was doing my head-in earlier today so I gave up and went for a drive lol :eek:

"Navy" N17 TWO
Nope!
Numpty here is about to give up again! :banghead:

I have seperate actions recorded for a border, a logo, and another to save as JPEG

When I use the save action it is still using the filename the action was recorded on, and overwriting the new file with it :mad:

Deleted that and now have this one, then created a new folder for using the batch process and it seems to work.
When I use the action on it's own, it disrupts the files in the origional folder :S

My action is

SAVE
As: JPEG
Quality: 10
Matte: None
In: C: Users\Tigger\Desktop\Night Out\With Copy

Trev

Last edited:
save for web and theres the option, as above, you can record all this.

ewqe.gif

"Navy" N17 TWO
Been trying from 10pm to get online, just tried the above ^ laptop froze.

Awesome craic! :D

TTRS & V50
Recorded separate actions ? You do it all in one, then stop recording !

You can't go wrong with what i said. I'll do a SLOW run down (this is not the only way)...

Make two new folders call the first one something like “Trev's images original” and the second something like “Trev's images edited”… copy across you photos into the original images folder.

Open Adobe Photoshop and open one of your original photographs.
On the top menu bar go:
Window>Actions

At the bottom edge of the actions window hit the folder button to make a new folder to store you newly created action in call it “Trev's actions”.

Hit the button that looks like a post it note for a new action call it “Trev's edit”.
Hit “ok” this starts recording the action, now any thing you do Photoshop will record.

Start doing your adjustments, image>adjustments

Then do image>image size

Then apply any creative filters you wish...

When you have finished creating your style go:

File>save as, select JPEG from the drop down menu and name the file 0 and save it in the “Trev's images edited” folder by hitting ok and close the file you have just saved.

Now hit the square button at the bottom of the actions menu to stop the recording.

To run the action from the top menu bar go:

File>Automate>batch… in the batch dialogue box use the “Set” drop down menu to select “Trev's Actions” then select the Action “Trev's edit”
Under Source: folder hit choose and navigate to “Trev's original images”

Next to “Destination”: use the drop down menu to select folder then hit choose and navigate to “Trev's images edited”

Be sure to click the green arrow on in the “Override action” save as Commands” box.

Under file naming set the first two boxes to “4 Digit Serial Number” + “extension”

Then hit ok and Photoshop will then run the Batch for you and alter all your photos in the way you have told it to.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Sounds almost as simple as this thread makes me look haha :eek:

So say I record an action to include my name, or a logo/slogan.
What happens if you wanted a different position in different photos? :)

TTRS & V50
It's not a batch process then is it, lolz.

It's like you can't crop photo's differently because it's not a generic action then, it's unique, hence defeats the whole object of this thread and your question.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
I know a plugin called Mogrify is available for Lightroom which does what you want. Not sure on its support on CS4

"Navy" N17 TWO
Well yeah, still wanted to know how to save images anyway without having to go through them all 1 by 1

So much to learn in photoshop....God help us (i.e. ME) :p