ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SBS 2003 and a Dynamic IP

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Its 100% easier for the client to have a static ip, but how hard is it to get a domain name say customer.com and point that to the server purely for VPN, Remote Access and OWA?

I was thinking of using ZoneEdit or DyDns for this but it could be easier registering a new domain and pointing it to the server via one of these services?

Correct?

I would then create a new certificate for the purposes of the VPN,OWA and Remote Access.

eh
a record + ip adress =job done

the server your pointing at will be in a dmz wont it and passing traffic on and not just letting the outside world through the firewall ?

DCi
i take it exchange is on that server if you are using it for OWA? just use mail.domain.com ? (or smtp.domain etc whatever you use...)

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Right. Maybe i didnt explain it right.
The Broadband does NOT have a static IP. I would prefer it does, but it cannot be done right now.
So the dynamic ip is going to be on the broadband.

So the A record + ip address wont work as it isnt static, and i aint updating it every two days.

Basically i would need a domain name, which would be able to update dynamically without me constantly having to change the A record.

EDIT - i was going to use control.customer.com to forward to the server functions for the certificate. However the control part will constantly change IP which i would need to update at the domain host, which i would rather not do.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Just install a Dynamic DNS updating client on the SBS server, such as the no-ip one. I think there's a DynDNS one available too.
Then if you run the "Connect to the internet" wizard in SBS, it'll ask for the fully qualified domain name of the server. Enter yourhostname.no-ip.org or whatever it is, and it'll sort out the web server certificate for you.
Then if you want to get email MX'd into the server rather than using the POP3 connector, you can modify their domain name's highest preference MX record to whatever the dyamic DNS name is set to.

Static IP would be much better though. Less *****ing about.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Exactly, sort the basics out first. Server = Static.

It can be done but why go through all the hassle ?

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
A static IP for the BB would be ideal, but its nothing i can do about that.
If it was a customer then for sure we would be dealing with the broadband etc and it would be properly done.

The BB is not my issue, more the case of firefighting right now, so im after a solution to give them. First off, the dyndns was mentioned however i dont see it being the right solution, but it may be the only solution.

I was just seeing peoples alternatives, i may just see how the domain goes with a dyndns certificate.

Email right now is POP from another provider, this i cannot change right now either.