ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Setting up home network/VPN/Server/Domain

Yellow 197
Hey Guys

I have a client who wants to setup a home network, this isn't the line of work our company is associated with directly so thinking we may have to outsource. Basically the guy has 4 company's and 3 of them he wants all the data and emails etc to be stored on a server located in his home. His house is fully cabled and has network in every room, managed wireless and reasonably expensive routers and WAP's.

I was thinking SBS will do the job, the main functionalists he wants is as below:

- The 3 separate business domains (can this be done on SBS will we have to purchase the 3 domain names being requested?)
- Email functionality for the 3 business domains
- He would like 4 separate data locations on the server, 1 for each of the 3 business and then a home one too for home stuff like media
- The main things he would need to do is for himself and 1 other person to be able to access all the information externally, print and access emails remotely either online or via smartphones, anywhere in the world. Can this be done through DynDNS and VPN?
- The functionality to print, probably via wireless
- Backup - Maybe to the cloud, are there companies out there you can do online backups and stuff to?

Any help would be absolutely awesome!

Fiesta ST
I would look at Office365 - giving you hosted exchange, hosted SharePoint and Office2010 professional Plus. A NAS/File server only at home or a Microsoft "Essentials" Server. This will keep it all simple and maintenance free pretty much.

I'm replacing a lot of SBS servers these days with Office365 and Microsoft Windows Server essentials. Not hosting your own exchange = less headaches.

You can also use Skydrive/SharePoint for your files as well which will give you full remote access to your files without using a VPN again = less headaches.

this solution will give you full mobility with any device.

Last edited:
  BMW M135i
As above, you'd need more than one server (or vm's) to host 3 domains and exchange etc. Big headache if you aren't very savvy and the user isn't too, add running that from home to it and its a very bad idea.

172 Cup
I would look at Office365 - giving you hosted exchange, hosted SharePoint and Office2010 professional Plus. A NAS/File server only at home or a Microsoft "Essentials" Server. This will keep it all simple and maintenance free pretty much.

I'm replacing a lot of SBS servers these days with Office365 and Microsoft Windows Server essentials. Not hosting your own exchange = less headaches.

You can also use Skydrive/SharePoint for your files as well which will give you full remote access to your files without using a VPN again = less headaches.

this solution will give you full mobility with any device.

^this, the pricing of office365 is pissing off the little IT Firms as they struggle to beat it with Server+SBS etc.

Fiesta ST
Yeah it's all web based management. I recommend the E3 platform as the E platform lets your domain stay with your provider.

You will need to make some DNS changes and migrating email but that's as hard as it gets.

Yellow 197
Longy, that just went straight over my head, forgot to mention here money is not a question and isn't an object to this guy...

Fiesta ST
Office365 is available on two platforms P & E and then on a tier system depending what features you want E1 E2 E3 etc... E3 comes with Full Microsoft Office 2010 Professional subscription per user.

You will need access to your domains (mycompany.co.uk) DNS settings to make changes for Office365, your website people should be able to do this for you if you don't control it.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/office365/compare-plans.aspx?WT.z_O365_ca=Buy_enterprise_en-gb

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/office365/free-office365-trial.aspx