ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scary problem need to get sorted asap

Renaultsport clio 172
My car is a clio 172 2001, first my backbox fell off just old and rusty, not a problem realy.

Then i was driving around id say for a week and it started of in the snow when i had a lot of vibration in the steering wheel which would only last 30-50 seconds and go away.

It done that proberly once a day, and at first i thought maybe just a load of snow in the wheels arches was making it go a bit funny.

But silly me i didnt bother to check cause it was mighty cold and coverd in snow and then the snow had all gone at the end of the week and still done it.

On my way home a little vibration and it went, nothing realy then pulled up outside the house went to reverse and a big grind and wouldnt move, tryed other gears, 1st and 2nd same result.

Pushed it in and took a look next day when it was light, the gear box felt as lovely as ever engine off, and clutch in and out nicely, steering wheel and wheels turn fine, checked engine bay nothin no gearbox oil or anyoil nothng wobbleing no cracks etc.

Until i put engine on and try to put it back into gear (also makes the grinding loose noice sometimes when clutch aint pushed in), with a friend doing this, i look to see that the drivshaft is wobbling all over the place????? :S

Havent had time to get it lookd at yet but not sure wa to do or expect.

Can anyone please help me????

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Im not an expert at all ,but i would imagine if your drive shaft is wobbling around then it is def linked to that... maybe it has come out or snapped or similar? It would also account for the steering wheel wobble.

As for why it wont go into gear when the engine on but goes in fine when its off, i have no idea as im not confident enough with how it all works together to make an accurate suggestion other than they a probably all linked.

If the drive shaft has gone i don't think its a too bigger job or expensive to replace, but that's only from what i have heard on here. Im sure that when more people are on-line in the morning you will get some better answers than i can give you.

Which driveshaft? If it's the passenger side one that's out, so will all your gearbox oil be. Which might suggest why your gearbox is fucked.

JB

RB 182 Cup
Sounds like the cv boots on your driveshafts have failed (circular bit of rubber that protects the joint) and the part where the shafts connect to the wheels have worn out.

Put the car on full lock either left or right and have a look at where the drive shaft is connected to the wheel to see if the rubber gaiter type thing is split.

Have you had the SERV + ABS lights come up?

I ask because the same thing happened to me last year, and it was in the snow and I left it and kept getting the vibrations then the shafts failed.

I had O/S and N/S drive shafts replaced with new ones at Renault. If you've lost drive then it's probably too late to just replace the cv boots, you might need new drive shafts.

Get this checked though mate as I could be spouting bs.

Renaultsport clio 172
lol yea u did, i just couldnt find where i put the thread originaly so i done it again in a different place. i know where they both are now tho.

Anyway thanx again people the problem is the driveshaft, everything else is fine thank god.

Anyone know how much it would be to repair tho??? Either to just buy the part and fit myself or garage????