ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scooby vs Clio

I was told by an instructor at bedford that the last corner can be taken near flat too...

Was he lying :eek:

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 05 April 2005

Any story behind the pictutre?
Yes there is.

My GF is driving the car and I was passenger.

We moved to the right and allowed him to pass just before the corner but he was still travelling at the same speed he would have done if he was on the racing line........we both commented that he was never going to get through the corner at that speed.

You heard it from davyboy first...

Heres a post from a Pug205 owner who took on the Scooby boyz on the day:-

Mind you I guess if you call not being able to shake of a 130bhp 15 year old 205 for a couple of laps being put in my place then yeah he sure did it...
Thats the trouble with jap crap........ great on them big long 1 mile straights but not so clever when they get to the braking zones and wet twisties ........... guess its because you spend so much time at santa pod maybe??

http://www.northloop.co.uk/Video/pug/wr1lap.wmvVideo link - 15 year old 130bhp 205GTi V 315bhp WR1

the guy driving the 205 is very good!

but the guy driving the impreza is a bit of a plank when it comes to corners, look at the line he takes! dont know if he didnt know the track very well but give him a bit more practise and i think the outcome would be a lot different

still a great 205 though! prob more fun too

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

i would agree a bit on driver skill in that vid but still good goin by the pug driver. there is no doubt in my mind that a 205 could stick with a 300+bhp scooby on the twisties! The only people that disagree are those who have never owned a car that handles as well as a clio or 205 etc.

I would also say my old clio would probably outhandle or at least be on par with me scooby, and it wouldnt be far behind in a straight line either. but it was 205/ton and weighed fuk all!

im tempted to buy a willy for pure driving fun, but in comparison the scooby is very quick, has the best sounding engine iv ever had, and looks better :)

and the ladies prefer cream leatherd scooby doo over a stripped out clio when i go to pick them up ;)

Thing is with grip round corners it really doesnt have mcuh to do with age.

If your light with a wide ish track and wheels are in each corner they a car wieghing twice as much is going to have a problem to out handle you.

Had a dabble with a 230bhp striped out R5 a little while ago and there is simply no way my car would change direction as quick as that thing did, simple physics.Even though it was very annoying :p

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 05 April 2005

i would agree a bit on driver skill in that vid but still good goin by the pug driver. there is no doubt in my mind that a 205 could stick with a 300+bhp scooby on the twisties! The only people that disagree are those who have never owned a car that handles as well as a clio or 205 etc.

I would also say my old clio would probably outhandle or at least be on par with me scooby, and it wouldnt be far behind in a straight line either. but it was 205/ton and weighed fuk all!

im tempted to buy a willy for pure driving fun, but in comparison the scooby is very quick, has the best sounding engine iv ever had, and looks better :)

and the ladies prefer cream leatherd scooby doo over a stripped out clio when i go to pick them up ;)

The Pug is more or less a stripped out racer, not a normal 205!

Ive been taken round Castle Combe by the bloke from Prodrive who came up with the idea of the WR1, its set up exactly how he likes it! f**king rapid when its your job to drive them all day.

Never been so sideways for so long whilst the car was still in control!!

Just thought I would share that with you.

Paul P1.

I was the guy driving the 205 and its far from a racing car. Infact its a 1.9gti which has been stripped thats fair to say. It still has the original engine and puts out around 130bhp if im lucky. It has koni adjustable suspension which is 12 years old. It runs standard disks with slightly uprated pads, std box, etc etc, so hardly a racing car.

Thanks for the comments though, its nice to read threads like this. Davyboy with the cup is a better technical driver than me for sure, im just a little braver ......

I also own a 329bhp sti scoob and can honestly say I love enjoy driving my 15 year old french clutter as much if not more. Infact it now lives at the nurburgring so UK scoobs are safe, unless they happen to venture over there when im there :D

Gary

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

"I was the guy driving the 205 and its far from a racing car. Infact its a 1.9gti which has been stripped thats fair to say. It still has the original engine and puts out around 130bhp if im lucky. It has koni adjustable suspension which is 12 years old. It runs standard disks with slightly uprated pads, std box, etc etc, so hardly a racing car" -

What I was suggesting was that I disagreed with the "205 keeping up with a 300bhp scooby in the twisties" comment, yours at a push, normal 205gti no way! Also it is fair to say you would be inclinded to take a few more risks in your 15 year old car than say someone going round in a £30K machine.

I know the WR1 driver and believe me he was trying to get rid of me :)

If your anything like me then the minute you get behind the wheel ontrack it wouldnt matter if I was driving a £300 fiesta or a £100K 911 turbo its having the lot. Red mist decnds and thats that. Its damned good fun though all the same :D

Gary

but if you were in your £300 fiesta or the £100k 911, it doesnt mean your mate would be any better at going round corners even if he was trying!

Nice vid and good driving Gary, same cant be said for the Scooby driver, turning in on the brakes, braking mid corner and some of those lines (not particularly smooth steering inputs), but hey Ill give him the benefit of the doubts based on the fact he might not have known the circuit particularly well.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

If Clios and 205s were so much better than Scoobies in the twisties then it would be them winning the WRCs wouldnt it?

Driver skill is so much more than the cars abilty.

why does the scooby clio thing always get brought up??

scooby vs clio on 1/2 mile - scooby wins

scooby vs clio on twisties - clio wins (depending on track etc)

where is the argument.. scooby vs clio on rally track?!! lol!

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 06 April 2005

If Clios and 205s were so much better than Scoobies in the twisties then it would be them winning the WRCs wouldnt it?

PMSL!

I would imagine a 205 shares as much components with a WRC car as a road going scoobie does.

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by davyboy on 06 April 2005

PMSL!

I would imagine a 205 shares as much components with a WRC car as a road going scoobie does.
haha ^^^ 2 true. my GFs best mates husband is an Engineer for Subaru WRC Rally Team he is always travelling the world and i met up with him for the first time recently he said to me that there isnt any resemblance apart from the styling to a road going scoob and he meant any.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

not even 4wd transmission? turbocharged boxer engine? etc ;)

i know what your saying pal, but surely thats true with any WRC car compared to the road version??

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by Paul_P1 on 05 April 2005

"I was the guy driving the 205 and its far from a racing car. Infact its a 1.9gti which has been stripped thats fair to say. It still has the original engine and puts out around 130bhp if im lucky. It has koni adjustable suspension which is 12 years old. It runs standard disks with slightly uprated pads, std box, etc etc, so hardly a racing car" -

What I was suggesting was that I disagreed with the "205 keeping up with a 300bhp scooby in the twisties" comment, yours at a push, normal 205gti no way! Also it is fair to say you would be inclinded to take a few more risks in your 15 year old car than say someone going round in a £30K machine.
lol. so why own a 30k sport cars then ? cant be taking it easy because of conditions its a 4wd car with clever diffs on each axel. the pug is just a fwd shopping cart. the fact that someone brought up modifying well koni adjustables are £350 back then probably cheaper if you take out tax and inflation.

noone denies the guy isnt driving to his best. but if these cars were so astonishing i.e wr1 then how come the scoob is always in view ? just add coilovers to the pug (better than adjustable + springs) and maybe thicker ARBs and strut brace it would be even better than that..

hows about just keeping the way that it is and add a 100shot NOS for the straights. that would then keep a wr1 in view even if the driver was better.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Have to say, ive owned 2 205GTis and they were the best handling cars ive ever drivin.. I would kill my 172 round a track in my old 205GTi, seriously !

Quote: Originally posted by KDF on 06 April 2005

Have to say, ive owned 2 205GTis and they were the best handling cars ive ever drivin.. I would kill my 172 round a track in my old 205GTi, seriously !

No you would not. Around that same bedfor track day I was 5 seconds a lap faster than he was, and I always has a passenger, so could go even quicker.

Dave

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by KDF on 06 April 2005

No you would not. Around that same bedfor track day I was 5 seconds a lap faster than he was, and I always has a passenger, so could go even quicker.

Dave
i think the point is which some people refuse to accept is that clio or a pug of tiny cost and size can keep their self respect against exotic machinery if driven well. ok its silly to say there without fault.. but joe public think that anything with a.) a turbo b.) 4wd anc c.) a fekin huge spoiler will automatically be faster. i imagine most french hatches properly setup with coilovers and decent tyres will seriously trouble any car through the twists.

same story with these huge long nosed wide Jap moblies like GTOs etc.. a tiny clio will be faster through tight bends its simple physics really.

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by ClioDude on 06 April 2005

So does that mean my New shape 1.2 will out handle a scooby, lol.

Where can I get some Cheap Coilovers;) LOL
ok.. now your taking it to the extreme lol

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

its not just about on track tho. if i were to have a car for the track it wouldnt be a scooby or any jap car unless it was awesome! it would be a 205 Mi16 or a tuned williams, stripped out, coilovers, big brakes etc. 160-200bhp in one of those would spank some serious ass! i know cos my old clio was fukin rapid, and handled ace!

But on the road for your everyday/normal/driving car would you rather be driving round in a stripped out hot hatch thats capable of holding its ground with a scooby on track or or a scooby/evo/300zx/etc in full trim...? :)

How is the 172/182 different to the 1.2 underneath??

Is it just the suspension setup and anti roll bar tweakage?

yes and the 800cc more!!

I have best of both worlds in that I own the 205 in question and I own a scooby sti. I am considerably quicker on track in the scooby (30 secs on a lap of the ring) than the pug. However tyres on the pug cost £35 a corner as apposed to £135 on the scoob. Pads £45 against £100 and the list goes on......The scoob also goes through these items at a considerable pace whereas the lighter pug doesnt.

I love driving them both, the scoob as im into serious territory and the pug as it suprises many who dont respect it.

The most imprtant thing of all is to be out there doing it and enjoying it. You dont have to be the quickest, just be the quickest YOU are capable of.

Gary

tiTTy & SV650

Do you not remember the 205 T16?! Itd kill any modern day rally car probably - but their deadly! Group B rallying was banned cause so many spectators were getting killed by cars capable of 0-60 in 3 or 4 secs and 170mph+.

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 06 April 2005

Do you not remember the 205 T16?! Itd kill any modern day rally car probably - but their deadly! Group B rallying was banned cause so many spectators were getting killed by cars capable of 0-60 in 3 or 4 secs and 170mph+.
Dont be daft!

Have you tried controlling it on Colin McRae Rally.

Fast in a straight line but corners... no chance - lol

Quote: Originally posted by gutmann pug on 06 April 2005

I have best of both worlds in that I own the 205 in question and I own a scooby sti. I am considerably quicker on track in the scooby (30 secs on a lap of the ring) than the pug.

The most imprtant thing of all is to be out there doing it and enjoying it. You dont have to be the quickest, just be the quickest YOU are capable of.

Gary
So why wasnt that guy in the WR1 quicker than you at Bedford? ;) Im not doubting your driving skills but I think he was a less than great driver with shocking lines/braking. It was only mid way down straights he pulled away because he struggled with the corners but theoretically it should be a little quicker I reckon.

I think youre right about being the quickest youre capable of as that is probably up to 50% of the speed on track is from the driver. There are a few high spec 205s that I know of that do trackdays, one in particular that has had thousands spent on it (suspension, lightweight, tyres, lsd, mi16 engine, short ratios etc) and Im sure he wont mind me saying that I can easily lap much quicker than him in an otherwise standard 205 (bar the Mi16 engine). But Im not saying Im a brilliant driver, just that there are differences in everyone.

Ive kept up with a few EVOs in mine, but the ones that can drive (or are willing to drive them properly) I cant keep up with purely because you just cant keep up with 4x4 out of tight corners in a FWD car or match the pace of a 300bhp+ car on faster straights, although for some corners you can match them or be quicker, particularly ones which are quick changes in direction.
However, if you can keep up with Radicals at 2 seperate trackdays then thats something else! lol :p

[Edited by c__w on 06 April 2005 at 12:17pm]