ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Screen wash problem

Renaultsport Clio 172
Strange one this, if I go to wash windscreen I get full power wash. If I then wash rear screen then go to wash windscreen again I get reduced flow to windscreen and to rear at the same time! It seems that if the car gets a jolt the windscreen gets full flow again until I use the rear...repeat ad nauseum!
I have replaced the pump with a brand new one but the problem still exists. Anyone any ideas?
All help greatly appreciated.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Check the little black round one way valves on the front screen washer hoses and the rear washer jet. They are supposed to keep water in the lines to keep the pressure up. They are very cheap to replace, I think Halfrauds sell them.

Renaultsport Clio 172
Thanks for the reply. I replaced the pump the other week but cant remember seeing anything else inline. However, I dont see how these could be the cause. It isnt a problem of the water coming back down the tubes but one of the pump failing to direct the water correctly. As it is a new pump and is diplaying the same problem as the old I assume there could be a problem with the stalk or a control unit (if there is one). I am assuming there is some form of control unit as the pump only has 2 wires going to it and it is able to switch between front and rear screens dependant upon which switch was used.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
If you are getting any flow, the pump is working......check the valves and clean or replace the jets.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
This will sound really silly, but are you sure you replaced the pump for the windows, not the headlamps?

Thing is, you're nearly describing the problem I had - water coming from both ends of the car, temporarily fixed by a bump. I dismantled the pump and there's a little rubber bung that moves side to side which is all that determines which hose gets water. The pump motor turns in either direction according to the voltage from the UCH, but if the little bung is stuck you still get water coming from both pipes, or even the wrong washer pipe.

It sounds like you have this sticking bung problem :eek: which is surprising on a new pump.

I ended up with only the rear washer working whatever I asked it to do.

When you pull the pump apart it's a very simple design. It may even be that use of water instead of screenwash could seize the sliding rubber bung thing due to lack of lubrication. It's not easy to get it in bits without breaking it.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
:)

The pumps have all 3 Renault, Peugeot and Citroen badges - the ultimate seal of quality! Not just one car maker reknowned for such things going wrong, but three!

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
:)

The pumps have all 3 Renault, Peugeot and Citroen badges - the ultimate seal of quality! Not just one car maker reknowned for such things going wrong, but three!

Thats like having a round trip ticket for the Titanic, the Lusitania and the Marie Celeste.

Renaultsport Clio 172
GR172.
Thanks for the heads up on which pump I had replaced. I'm afraid to admit I was being a bit of a mammary gland the day I changed them as I did actually change the wrong one! D'oh! All is working fine now. Thanks to you all for your help.